• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why is NFO obligation 8 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighuggies

My Marine Corps officer recruiter suggested I think of applying for a Naval Flight Officer spot (less that 20/20 vision disqualifies me for a regular pilot position). I'd be running radar, weapons systems, or navagational duties on planes. It seems really interesting, but...

While I understand that as an NFO I'll get pilot training, eight years seems rather excessive. While I read that the NFO gets basic pilot training, its not like NFOs get all the training the actual pilots get (or am I wrong on this?). Plus, if I'm correct, as an NFO I'll never get a chance to fly planes on the job once pilot training is completed.

While regular officers have a 4 year commitment which starts after OCS, NFO's commitment doesn't even begin until after earning wings. That means OCS, 6 month TBS, and pilot training don't even count towards your obligation. So this would mean about a 10 year obligation. That's nearly half as long as I've been alive!

Please, someone tell me that I'm missing something important here and that the 8 year obligation is fair somehow.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
what is your vision?? u can be a pilot with 20/40 vision as long as it is correctable to 20/20.

As far as the training, I believe SNFO's get like 6or7 flights from the front seat. The reason on the committement, it costs A LOT of money to train any type of aviator, pilot or FO. they want to make sure they get their money out of u.

bighuggies

My vision is 20/400 both eyes, correctable to 20/20. Definitely nowhere near 20/40.

If I do take an NFO spot, does the 8 year obligation warrant the training I'll receive to help me back into civilian life? I would be dissappointed to get out into the civvy world and find out that NFO work does not really translate to a job after military service.

I'm not joining for job placement or anything, but comparing a 4 year commitment and a nearly 10 year NFO commitment, I would hope the NFO position would help me with job skills usuable in a post-military life.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
As GreenLatern already said, the obligation is 6 years after winging, not 8.

The reason the obligation is 6 years is basically because you'll have over a year between the time you get your wings and the time you go operational as a jet guy (which is your only option as a Marine NFO). You'll spend quite a bit of time at the RAG, and time between flight school getting sent out there and going through SERE, et cetera. So the Marine Corps needs to ensure they're getting at least 4 years of operational time out of you-- like they do out of every other officer-- otherwise they're not getting appropriate value for training.

If your primary concern in selecting an MOS is how it'll translate for you outside the military, I really don't know what to tell you...

Taxman2A

War were declared.
bighuggies said:
Please, someone tell me that I'm missing something important here and that the 8 year obligation is fair somehow.

Its fair because you have a guaranteed job in a jet employing weapons systems while your buddies from college sit behind desks getting fat.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Assuming it takes you 2 years to get winged, that gives you 8 years in service. You can expect to be what? O3 or O4 when you get out?

goldwingdreams

If the commitemnt is too long I'll glady take your spot. Just tell you recruiter to give me a call...

As far as "real-world" experience you can always transfer you experience to get a right-seat slot in the airlines?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
THe normal progression is:
0-2: ENS
2-4: LTJG
4-10: LT
10-16: LCDR
16-22: CDR
22-?: CAPT

ea6bflyr

VetteMuscle427 said:
Assuming it takes you 2 years to get winged, that gives you 8 years in service. You can expect to be what? O3 or O4 when you get out?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Patmack18 said:
Read the question... he said MARINE recruiter.

Marine NFO=jets... which means F-18D's or EA-6B's... which means all jet trianing. T-2's, T-39's which is expensive... hence the 8 year commitment I'm sure.

How many times do we have to say it's a 6 year commitment for NFOs, not an 8 year? Jeez, for a jet stickmonkey you don't catch on too fast, do you? :p

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it goes back to one of our other threads....the 8 years is TOTAL commitment:
6 for wings and any time remaining would be coverd in IRR (Inactive Ready Reserves) for a total of 8 years. The time really does fly by though.....

Patmack: Navy/Marine Aviation is all the same.......and I did read the question.... ;)
ea6bflyr

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
If you have 6 active, 2 IRR; would they let you serve the last 2 active? Do they let you re-up for a few years? or do you need to do like 6 at a time?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aint that the truth! No money....and you wonder why they didn't buy the Super Hornet......they will just wait for the Navy to give them some.
ea6bflyr

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Once you serve your obligation you can continue on active duty simply deciding whether the next set of orders suit you or not. You just resign when you are ready. There are some exceptions. Attend some specialized training and incure another obligation ie grad school, TPS, etc. You can not get out of the Navy if there is a "stop loss" which has occured recently for some folks. Stop loss is usually not service wide but for certain operational specialties. It was very rare until the the war on terror. And you won't be forced out after your initial obligation unless there is some kind of reduction in force at your grade. Also very rare. Only way to be forced out besides RIF is poor performance. Even then that is manifest in not augmenting to the regular navy or not promoting. After non select for the next grade twice you are done. There are exceptions to that for more senior dudes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.