• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

why are you an SNA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I remember being on deployment aboard the USS Peleliu ('95) and having nothing else to do but drool over the Harriers and Helos. I was constantly bugging the pilots to let me sit in their bird and they were always more than willing to let me. So, I sat in all 5 birds multible times, and then of course flew in the back of Big Iron and Phrogg all the time. It didn't take long to figure out that I want to fly Assault Support. So I'm gunning for 53's.

Daedalus

I know I know it's cheesy but I sat in the Navy prop trainer at the Andrews show last year (which pretty much rained out), and it was great. Also got to see the Goshawk, and talk to the pilot in training (he gave me his email address so I could ask him more Q's but I lost it D'oh) I asked him if I could sit in his Hawk, and he said he would let me but it had an ejection seat, and although it had the pin in it, he couldn't let me. I also got to see a Super Hornet that had like 30 hrs on the airframe, the were all gorgeous. I definitely want to fly, taking the test soon. That's my airshow story. O PS I saw an 18 fly once, and you could not hear it until it was practically on you.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Ever since I was a kid it was my dream to fly. My So. yeah in high school I had to get glasses and I thoguht I had lost any chance at that dream. I graduated and knew that I wanted to go into the Navy, so I took the ASTB. The recuiter told me that I should shoot for pilot, (at that point I thought I had 20/35 vision) I went to MEPS and they said I had 20/50. screwed again. Then I heard about PRK, so now I've had that done and waiting to put in my app. It's been a curvy road.

Now, the reason. Freedom, having the world right there benith my feet. Going fast, doing something that not too many other people can. Theres more, but I'll leave it at that.

Ben

riley

Those people that Patmack described, the ones that are looking into the military now because there are no civilian jobs opening up - they piss me off.

I'm still in the application stage - waiting to hear back about OCC 185 for the Corps (Jan '04 OCS date). I've been working on this since Feb. of 2001 - 7 mos before 9/11 and 3 mos before I graduated college - a little too late to take advantage of the college programs.

I don't have it in my blood - the only relative I have that flew was an unlce who flew gunships in Vietnam. I'm the only one with good eyesight in my family. I'm the only one that isn't pursuing the practical office life. I'm giving that up, taking a pay cut, so I can serve.

I don't have notions of glory, or dream of blazing dogfights in the sky. I don't want attention, or medals. I just want to serve. I want to fly and do my duty and stand in the gap for those that cannot or are not willing. I want to carry the legacy of generations lost - to preserve freedom and liberty for generations to come.

God has given me a passion for flying - you want to see joy? Look at my face as I climb into a little Cessna to just buzz around for an afternoon - you want to see pure exultation? Wait for me to earn my wings of gold.

I can't do justice in describing the way I feel. Only those that are already there, or those that are in pursuit (like myself) can understand. My family smiles superficially at my headstrong attitude - and laughs it off to childhood dreams around friends and neighbors. I don't care. I know my purpose on this earth is to serve something greater than myself.

Oh, I want to fly - because, from what I've heard and seen - you can kill the most bad guys from the air....

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Ok, so I'm going to 185 as an NFO candidate, but I would have gone SNA had my vision been good enough...I think what I have to say is relevant and goes with what Patmack and Riley have said.

I was in Jamaica on my honeymoon on 9/11...I watched helplessly as the reports came in and the death tolls mounted...I felt a special hurt for those brave firefighers and rescue workers because my father has been a firefighter since he was 17 and a paramedic almost as long...Then I saw them... the Navy fighters over New York City. A sight that might have frightened many made me stick out my chest and think we're ok now. As if the F-15's somehow conveyed the message that nothing more would happen on their watch.. After finally finding a flight back to CONUS (the next Saturday) I was invigorated as the entire cabin erupted in applause as the Captain said (over the FL keys) we are now back in United States airspace.

As I went through my senior year that fall/winter/spring I kept thinking that I had to do something to make a difference...so in May of 02 I looked up the Marine Corps website from the computer lab at school...I sent a message saying that I was interested in knowing more about OCS. The rest is history...I never thought about whether I would fly or be a ground pounder, that wasn't the point. But when my OSO said that I should take the ASTB and go to Whidbey Isl. for a flight phsycial, I said sure. Unfortunatley, I didn't have good enough vision to be an SNA which really bummed me out, because I had seen myself flying Cobras in close air support for the grunts. I instead applied as NFO, but stated I didn't care what I did as long as I could get to OCS and get into the fight. Now here I am 'unofficially' accepted to 185 waiting to hear the good news... Waiting to serve. Waiting to be someone that another person might find strength in, much as I did in that pair or fighters flying high above our smoldering city.

Adding to what Riley/Patmack said...I have no plans outside of the Marine Corps at this point...I'm not looking for a resume building experience or money...I'm looking to serve.

Let's get some guys.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Originally posted by riley mcconnell
Those people that Patmack described, the ones that are looking into the military now because there are no civilian jobs opening up - they piss me off.

I'm still in the application stage - waiting to hear back about OCC 185 for the Corps (Jan '04 OCS date). I've been working on this since Feb. of 2001 - 7 mos before 9/11 and 3 mos before I graduated college - a little too late to take advantage of the college programs.

I don't have it in my blood - the only relative I have that flew was an unlce who flew gunships in Vietnam. I'm the only one with good eyesight in my family. I'm the only one that isn't pursuing the practical office life. I'm giving that up, taking a pay cut, so I can serve.

I don't have notions of glory, or dream of blazing dogfights in the sky. I don't want attention, or medals. I just want to serve. I want to fly and do my duty and stand in the gap for those that cannot or are not willing. I want to carry the legacy of generations lost - to preserve freedom and liberty for generations to come.

God has given me a passion for flying - you want to see joy? Look at my face as I climb into a little Cessna to just buzz around for an afternoon - you want to see pure exultation? Wait for me to earn my wings of gold.

I can't do justice in describing the way I feel. Only those that are already there, or those that are in pursuit (like myself) can understand. My family smiles superficially at my headstrong attitude - and laughs it off to childhood dreams around friends and neighbors. I don't care. I know my purpose on this earth is to serve something greater than myself.

Oh, I want to fly - because, from what I've heard and seen - you can kill the most bad guys from the air....

Riley, you've put so eloquently what I feel but can't set to words myself. It's why I enlisted in the Navy way back in '97 when everyone planned to be a dot.com billionaire and mocked me and my plans. I hope you get good news today. And I hope to serve with you in the Corps.

version2point0

wow those are great reasons everyone! lets change the direction a little:

what do you want to fly? i thought that the majority of the people who apply for aviator or flight officer would be gunning for jets, but it seems as though that is not the case. i want jets, but thats because my father flew them. does anyone out there specifically want helos or engines? or is everyone here in the same boat as me?

-v2.0

hey zak wassup?

Anyway, friggin jets man. I can't wait to start learning to trap on a carrier. But helos doesn't sound so bad...the Seahawks are getting pretty damn deadly.

GTodd

Man I have always wanted to fly, but I thought it was an imposible dream, So I beacme a teacher and hated it. Now lets back track. Every since 9/11 I have been wanting to kick ass. So I looked into the Militairy, I grad college, taught for a year and than started the process. WHen I found out that I stood a chance I took it. NOw I am back home with an injury, and all I cam say is that I want it so bad now, it is right in front of me I will be back. Good luck 185 tell the quigly I said hi!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.