• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why are my push ups hitting a brick wall?

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Every day I do 5 sets of maxing out on push ups. Despite this, my numbers are not improving. Yet the same workout with sit ups is increasing my numbers drastically.

Has anybody tried this program? http://www.military.com/Opinions/0,,Smith_082405,00.html

Growing up, I was always told to work out hard one day, then take a day off in between to give the muscles a day to heal and become stronger. Yet this link recommends working out every day. Additionally, most of the workouts people have discussed on this forum also say to work out every day.

badger16

None
I do push ups every week day and then take off for the weekend. Its worked pretty well for me. It might help to mix up what kind of push ups you do also. Just an idea

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
If you've been at that plateau for a while, I'd suggest getting at those muscles a different way. When I did the Armstrong pullup workout, my pushups improved dramatically. Work on your pullups. Get into the gym and work on chest, arms and shoulders. Often neglected triceps are alot of peoples problem.

Bottom line...mix it up.

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
Haha, Scoober beat me to it...

As with all workouts, if you do the same workout every time (you say you max out 5 times every day)...your muscles become used to the resistance and 'plateau,' effectively killing your workout, and disallowing your muscles to grow or become stronger. You have to 'shock' your muscles and keep them guessing by initiating new techniques for the same muscle groups (in addition to push ups, do exercises other than push ups that work the same muscle groups).

Considering the push up standpoint, try keeping your feet together with your arms closer in one set, then spread your feet about 1 ft. apart and move your arms out a little further on the next, mix it up. Also, switch up from slow reps to quick reps.

As with what you said earlier..

Growing up, I was always told to work out hard one day, then take a day off in between to give the muscles a day to heal and become stronger.
I don't work the same muscle groups every day, they do need time to heal...if you don't give them time off then they'll never regenerate, meaning your workouts become a waste of time.

Keep at it and don't get discouraged!

BackOrdered

Contributor
Haha, Scoober beat me to it...

As with all workouts, if you do the same workout every time (you say you max out 5 times every day)...your muscles become used to the resistance and 'plateau,' effectively killing your workout, and disallowing your muscles to grow or become stronger. You have to 'shock' your muscles and keep them guessing by initiating new techniques for the same muscle groups (in addition to push ups, do exercises other than push ups that work the same muscle groups).

The best piece of advice you can follow on any section of the PFT. I couldn't have said it better.

zerosix

I suggest downing some of this http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutri...ie=UTF8&s=gourmet-food&qid=1182214167&sr=8-32 within 30 minutes of a workout. I just started trying the stuff a few months ago and I've notice it does your body recuperate. I also take a day off every other day or once every two days. The combination of the protein and days off seems to work well.

BTW, I only take the stuff on days that I workout and also try to eat a pretty lean diet so I don't put on bulk. Run a decent amount too..:icon_tong

RAS

retired but still flying
None
To do well on the PRT? I hope you're not serious. I've been around guys who have used anabolic steroids for many years. They got big, but these guys were way beyond passing a PRT. They were body builders and serious weight lifters. Read the section of that website that discusses side effects -- it's your life. I wouldn't go near that crap.

BackOrdered

Contributor
To do well on the PRT? I hope you're not serious. I've been around guys who have used anabolic steroids for many years. They got big, but these guys were way beyond passing a PRT. They were body builders and serious weight lifters. Read the section of that website that discusses side effects -- it's your life. I wouldn't go near that crap.

I believe he was being sarcastic.

RAS

retired but still flying
None
One can only hope. Unfortunately I've seen guys who felt they needed to take that route.