• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whoops......

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know even you can't be that naive. There was a political process that had to run its course once the Lewinsky story broke, so the fact that the Speaker happened to be engaged in an extra-marital affair at that time is irrelevant. Whatever your feelings on the whole scandal, the essence of the matter was the perjurious statements made by the president. I, for one, don't have any issue with the fact that Clinton was fvcking around. My problem was that he was reckless enough about it to get caught, and with a fat, disgusting cow to boot. The office-holder has to accept a certain amount of responsibility for the maintenance of the "dignity of the office," and Clinton definitely dropped the ball there, but to equate a fairly pedestrian, private affair to one in which includes shoving cigars into an intern as you decorate her blue dress with Presidential jism, then lying about it under oath, is apples and bananas, my friend.

Brett

I really am not that naive.....you ought to read a little closer to what I said. Legally, he is free and clear (especially compared compared to Clinton), but that does not mean that it is irrelevant at all, especially in the public's eye (and that is who counts, right?). Just because he was legal does not make it right, and the fact that he was doing something his party was hammering on Clinton for doing is hypocritical no matter what way you look at it.

The fact that he did this for several years while married to his wife, and the fact that it does not appear that it was the first time shows me a lot about Gingrich's character, or lack thereof, just as Clinton's acts showed a lot about his character. I find it very ironic that he was not honest with his family or the public when this was happening, what the hell else would he be dishonest about?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I really am not that naive.....you ought to read a little closer to what I said. Legally, he is free and clear (especially compared compared to Clinton), but that does not mean that it is irrelevant at all, especially in the public's eye (and that is who counts, right?). Just because he was legal does not make it right, and the fact that he was doing something his party was hammering on Clinton for doing is hypocritical no matter what way you look at it.

The fact that he did this for several years while married to his wife, and the fact that it does not appear that it was the first time shows me a lot about Gingrich's character, or lack thereof, just as Clinton's acts showed a lot about his character. I find it very ironic that he was not honest with his family or the public when this was happening, what the hell else would he be dishonest about?

You completely missed my point. I'm not quibbling about legalities or morality here. The point I'm trying to make is that the Congress (the House, really), had no choice but to proceed as they did, regardless of whether any of its individual members were engaged in similar transgressions. It's not as though they could say, "Well, the President is accused of perjury, but since Newt here is banging his housekeeper, I guess we'll just have to let it slide." What else could they have done? As for the hypocrisy, the legal matter at hand was perjury, not adultery, and Newt didn't lie under oath about his affair - end of story. The whole "it was just sex" issue raised by those defending the President was simply an attempt to obfuscate and divert from the real charges.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You completely missed my point. I'm not quibbling about legalities or morality here. The point I'm trying to make is that the Congress (the House, really), had no choice but to proceed as they did, regardless of whether any of its individual members were engaged in similar transgressions. It's not as though they could say, "Well, the President is accused of perjury, but since Newt here is banging his housekeeper, I guess we'll just have to let it slide." What else could they have done? As for the hypocrisy, the legal matter at hand was perjury, not adultery, and Newt didn't lie under oath about his affair - end of story. The whole "it was just sex" issue raised by those defending the President was simply an attempt to obfuscate and divert from the real charges.

Brett

I understand your point now, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that Gingrich was a hypocrite. He wasn't honest to his wife or his constituents.......that is my point. No legal ramifications, just a gaping character flaw.......

Either way, I think he sank his chances to be President.

P.S. He didn't have to be one of the leaders in the charge against Clinton either.......

OldNavy

The Kennedy clan is not my favorite....

But at least JFK was tagging high end tail when he was the President.

I would whave hoped that President Clinton could have done better.. I mean, he married Senator Clinton, his standards for looks were not that high, but HE WAS THE FREAKING PRESIDENT...

I'm just saying, if I was president, I would be going after Super-Model Class women. Not "Fvck it, I'm in Fallon and Hornly" class women.

Kind of like Jim Baker.

Tough decision:

Jessica or Tammy Faye

Jessica or Tammy Faye

Hmmmmmm