• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who supports the EMBA?

46Nomad

I have a major staff/joint job on the horizon and want to get the EMBA accomplished during the tour. I was chatting to an officer (black shoe type) the other day who was working at C2F and said that the command didn't support sending it's people to the EMBA because they weren't allowed to miss a day of work each week. Does anyone in the Tidewater area have any insight into which commands at the major staff/joint level support their people doing the EMBA? I don't want to end up negotiating orders to a command that won't let me get this Master's. Thanks for the help.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Not a joint tour/staff, but the TW-5 squadrons were supporting it when I was there.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
VFA-106 allows it. I bet since we have guest fliers from CNAL that CNAL would allow it. I think it is BS if they will not let you do it. Have you done JPME 1? Evening classes, takes 2 years and 9 elective hours to get the NWC Masters.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Just out of curiosity, what good is an MBA in the military, honestly? I guess you can say "I have a Masters degree". I'm almost done with Command and Staff (aka, JPME) and my 2 years worth of class, quizzes and papers won't get me anything other than the proverbial check in the box.... ie, no Masters degree. And I've done it all on my own time while working as a flight instructor and as a flight student. But the other people I've worked with have sniv'd off the flight sked constantly for their MBA classes and most of them are getting out of the military.

46Nomad

More details

In response to previous posts: This is definitely for the check in the box, not for the outside world. I want to do it on the Joint/staff tour because I didn't want to be off the flight schedule when I was an instructor. Basically, it sounds like commands with an aviator in charge will let me go and anything with a SWO at the helm will not- just wondering if anyone had any other experience with this. I already did the JPME-1 thing so I don't want to get one of the Master's/JMPE combo plates. Sucked enough the first time around.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Just out of curiosity, what good is an MBA in the military, honestly? I guess you can say "I have a Masters degree". I'm almost done with Command and Staff (aka, JPME) and my 2 years worth of class, quizzes and papers won't get me anything other than the proverbial check in the box.... ie, no Masters degree. And I've done it all on my own time while working as a flight instructor and as a flight student. But the other people I've worked with have sniv'd off the flight sked constantly for their MBA classes and most of them are getting out of the military.
An MBA opens up doors in budgeting if you wanted to go down that route. Budgeting experience in the military can be lucrative when you get out.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I have a major staff/joint job on the horizon and want to get the EMBA accomplished during the tour. I was chatting to an officer (black shoe type) the other day who was working at C2F and said that the command didn't support sending it's people to the EMBA because they weren't allowed to miss a day of work each week. Does anyone in the Tidewater area have any insight into which commands at the major staff/joint level support their people doing the EMBA? I don't want to end up negotiating orders to a command that won't let me get this Master's. Thanks for the help.

I just finished EMBA. I am going to PM you the name and number of the guy to contact down there that will give you the scoop on commands that have supported EMBA in the past. I know that in our section, there were about 20 people from the tidewater area, so lots of shore duty commands support it.
Good Luck.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor

How are they getting out? Husband had a 3 year commitment added (though it was concurrent to this aviation commitment so it only added about a year and a half) for finishing the eMBA.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
How are they getting out? Husband had a 3 year commitment added (though it was concurrent to this aviation commitment so it only added about a year and a half) for finishing the eMBA.

I have no idea. Did he take tuition assistance? Some of the guys I worked with were just doing a normal MBA at the local college, either paying for it themselves or using their GI bill.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
An MBA opens up doors in budgeting if you wanted to go down that route. Budgeting experience in the military can be lucrative when you get out.

Okay, but how many aviators go down the budgeting route. It seems to me that most everyone does the MBA thing since big Navy said they want all their officers to have a Masters degree and MBA is fairly easy (from what I've been told). So the next question is..... if everyone has a Masters, how does that make anyone more competitive? And, again, what relevance does an MBA have (other than possibly budgeting)?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I thought the EMBA in particular was to get into acquisitions, which is home to MANY aviators.

It's (EMBA or MBA) at least as useful in/out as anything else out there.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I have no idea. Did he take tuition assistance? Some of the guys I worked with were just doing a normal MBA at the local college, either paying for it themselves or using their GI bill.

He did the program through NPS, so there was no tuition. I suppose if you did it through a local university on your own dime (or the BI Bill), then there would be no commitment, but I can see what the command would be agains that since I guess it would be done on their time and the Navy would get nothign extra out of you.

I thought the EMBA in particular was to get into acquisitions, which is home to MANY aviators.

Husband has commented that he now has some sort of Acquisitions deisgnator, or something like that, so I think this is part of the reason one might do it.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Okay, but how many aviators go down the budgeting route. It seems to me that most everyone does the MBA thing since big Navy said they want all their officers to have a Masters degree and MBA is fairly easy (from what I've been told). So the next question is..... if everyone has a Masters, how does that make anyone more competitive? And, again, what relevance does an MBA have (other than possibly budgeting)?
Quite a few however remember this is Navy not USMC. (Marines cannot count past their 10th finger or toe) Not everyone has a masters and in fact most do not. It is a way to one-up your competition and in my case, get it done and concentrate on tactics while my peers who have had a normal fleet progression are looking at getting their masters....it levels the playing field.