• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who supports the EMBA?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I thought the EMBA in particular was to get into acquisitions, which is home to MANY aviators.

It's (EMBA or MBA) at least as useful in/out as anything else out there.

Different acquisition career fields can have different education requirements for certification, but Program Management, for instance, does not require any formal education.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
i've seen the "girls" jarheads "steal" from us. when you have to use a twinky and a bear trap to get her, you can keep her.

Reconjoe

i've seen the "girls" jarheads "steal" from us. when you have to use a twinky and a bear trap to get her, you can keep her.

Gotta spread the love sometimes, even the less fortunate deserve to know what real man can do....consider it community service creds toward my "boy scout" medal!:D

Pugs

Back from the range
None
An MBA opens up doors in budgeting if you wanted to have your will to live be sucked from your body through your ass. Budgeting experience in the military can be lucrative when you get out.

Corrected text. :eek:

It's a living but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Pags

N/A
pilot
In response to previous posts: This is definitely for the check in the box, not for the outside world. I want to do it on the Joint/staff tour because I didn't want to be off the flight schedule when I was an instructor. Basically, it sounds like commands with an aviator in charge will let me go and anything with a SWO at the helm will not- just wondering if anyone had any other experience with this. I already did the JPME-1 thing so I don't want to get one of the Master's/JMPE combo plates. Sucked enough the first time around.

I know of several folks who have done an MBA through William and Mary while in the Tidewater area (one at HSCWSL and another at a USMC command), which is another option if you want a decent name attached to the degree.

ProwlerPilot

pilot
I can't give you much insight into who will or will not allow you to do EMBA, but please realize if you do it that you are getting a heck of a lot MORE out of that tour than the other people you are working with AND you are effectively getting a 4 day work week, while the rest of them will be working 5. I only say this to make sure you realize that it typically takes you away from your desk for an entire day and in that time people who are NOT getting an MBA will have to pick up the slack. Not saying don't do it, but keep the rest of them in mind while you are in class and be willing to work longer hours and take more responsibility while you are at your actual command. As a person who sees this opportunity as a personal bonus, the "but I'm in class all day" excuse doesn't hold much water.

46Nomad

Good point

I can't give you much insight into who will or will not allow you to do EMBA, but please realize if you do it that you are getting a heck of a lot MORE out of that tour than the other people you are working with AND you are effectively getting a 4 day work week, while the rest of them will be working 5. I only say this to make sure you realize that it typically takes you away from your desk for an entire day and in that time people who are NOT getting an MBA will have to pick up the slack. Not saying don't do it, but keep the rest of them in mind while you are in class and be willing to work longer hours and take more responsibility while you are at your actual command. As a person who sees this opportunity as a personal bonus, the "but I'm in class all day" excuse doesn't hold much water.

You bring up a good point Prowler. I would hope that in our profession, picking up the slack goes without saying but that's not always the case. Well put.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MBA and job opportunities

An MBA opens up doors in budgeting if you wanted to go down that route. Budgeting experience in the military can be lucrative when you get out.

Just like we have particular words in aviation with specific meaning, "budgeting" in DoD does not mean quite what you think. DoD budgeting process is part of the overall PPBES (it is the B word) and does really have applicability in outside world unless you're in a consultant role for DoD.

That said, going to Monterey and working "Financial Management" route and working as a Comptroller (if you can intrude on the province of the "Chops") can set you up for a CFO role on the outside. Or you can use the expertise to work in Acquisition side of the house and parlay that into a path to flag like my relief in N88 did.

There are aviation billets in SECNAV FM&C (Financial Management and Comptroller) where all the money flows to both USN and USMC. Some are even Congressional Appropriation Liaison billets that really can set you up for a sweet job with industry or even your favorite college (unless it is USNA).