• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who runs V-2 Division operations daily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
It took 50-60 years of experience and who knows how much landing mishaps to curve that rule in stone, right? All this time we Russians were searching for our naval fortune being mostly submerged...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Rule #7...Paddles is always right.
Actually as OOD, I corrected Paddles more than a few times when he said "wave off for winds" or some other lie to cover the mistake of a senior officer / COD trying to trap. The TR's CO during my time didn't go with that horse and laid blame where it belonged.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Waving someone off for winds doesn't infer that anyone is at fault for anything. Wind moves.

Cool story though.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Waving someone off for winds doesn't infer that anyone is at fault for anything. Wind moves.

Cool story though.
When the LSOs waved them off while stating we were out of crosswind limits but the winds were actually straight up and down the angle, yes it infers fault. We had the relative winds as read on the angle deck/LSO platform on a big ass gauge right in front of our eyes while conning. Our Captain didn't like this deflecting blame so the OODs were directed to correct the LSO when they told this little fib to make the senior/COD pilots feel better.

Sorry, you're sarcasm aside, but I've heard your little saying many times and also seen/heard LSOs being called out for being wrong many times. In fact, their was one CAG 8 LSO that made so many stupid calls during a fleet CQ in Vacapes during my time onboard TR that Capt. Abbot decided he was not allowed to wave planes on his ship any more.

Max the Mad Russian

Is average COD pilot somehow worse in landing skills than say fighter jock? Or fat widebody Greyhound has much troubled landing behavior?

Max the Mad Russian

Hahahaha!!! Stirring that pot Max....
Let's laugh together, ok?:)
We never experienced COD except for some small parcels or fat admirals delivered by helicopters, so that I have no idea what it is like. To me, an aircraft like C-2/E-2 which has yoke instead of stick and an aircraft commander should take the yoke by left hand while his right one is on throttles should be harder to land on a carrier... Am I wrong?
Or the point is that some tob brass could be onboard of COD and it is better not to awake him by the "OK-3"?

Last edited:

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
When the LSOs waved them off while stating we were out of crosswind limits but the winds were actually straight up and down the angle, yes it infers fault. We had the relative winds as read on the angle deck/LSO platform on a big ass gauge right in front of our eyes while conning. Our Captain didn't like this deflecting blame so the OODs were directed to correct the LSO when they told this little fib to make the senior/COD pilots feel better.

Sorry, you're sarcasm aside, but I've heard your little saying many times and also seen/heard LSOs being called out for being wrong many times. In fact, their was one CAG 8 LSO that made so many stupid calls during a fleet CQ in Vacapes during my time onboard TR that Capt. Abbot decided he was not allowed to wave planes on his ship any more.

"Paddles is always right" doesn't actually mean paddles is always right. It means don't argue with him so, as professionals, we don't embarrass ourselves by getting in a petty he saw/she saw in the ready room. (Or, better yet a stupid unprofessional game of "what are the winds" over tower.)

If it doesn't affect safety of flight ops, OODs should be seen and not heard. But please feel free to tell us more about your extensive knowledge of waving aircraft... Sounds like you were one cool dude.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
"Paddles is always right" doesn't actually mean paddles is always right. It means don't argue with him so, as professionals, we don't embarrass ourselves by getting in a petty he saw/she saw in the ready room. (Or, better yet a stupid unprofessional game of "what are the winds" over tower.)

If it doesn't affect safety of flight ops, OODs should be seen and not heard. But please feel free to tell us more about your extensive knowledge of waving aircraft... Sounds like you were one cool dude.
I have never claimed to have an extensive knowledge of waving aircraft, just like you don't have an extensive knowledge of landing them. You wearing your Centurion patch?

I obeyed the orders of my CO, a qualified F/A-18 pilot, when I corrected the LSO over the 5MC (while standing next to the CO). The CVN CO corrected the LSO on tower. The Air Boss then grumbled at the LSO in person later on. It only happened a few times before the LSOs stopped making BS excuses. Since Captain Abbot was a 3 star and 6th Fleet commander within 4 years of his change of command, I think he could be considered a professional.

As far as coolness goes, we can't all be libtard asshole SJWs like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.