• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who Is Going To NSI In Feb?

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Common man, just go buy couple blue shorts and couple Navy t-shirts :) Better be safe than sorry - it's only couple bucks.
At least that's my suggestion.

I agree...I think everyone is just going to have to accept the fact that we're pretty much going to be forced into buying a bunch of crap we may only wear a few times. At least they give us an allowance though that should offset most of it.

BOCOD

The allowance will be nice since it will be the second time I get it. I don't have to buy all the uniforms so that means more money in my pocket. Like you said though, I hate to buy crap just to wear it a couple times.

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
Well, I'm finally done checking out of my command. I can hardly believe how quickly it's coming now - this whole new direction is completely surreal to me. I'm excited to be on this path though!

SHAF

Idle for glory
pilot
I figured I might as well introduce myself to everyone. Im getting butterflies, its already FEB and my dreams are being realized right in front of me--this is exciting stuff! I'm AC2 Buster, station in P-Cola. I just got cut orders LAST NIGHT! Oh yeah, my orders say detach in JAN08, I received them online 31JAN, and its FEB now, good stuff ;). My command about crapped themselves when they saw all had to get done--they will deffinately be earning their paycheck the next few days as I scramble to get things done. It seems like most of you gentlemen already know eachother, so I figured I would try to at least say hi before we all get tossed together at NSI. Anyone getting their OC uniforms ahead of time? It may be advisable, you can have them tailored and get the premium material rather than the basics and bring them with you (kinda like the difference between CNT and cotton whites). Obviously, you will just pocket the money and reimburse yourself when you get to NSI to buy those items. Anyone know if we are required to bring a full enlisted seabag, or just a few basic items like the PT gear? Hope to hear from you all soon!

-AC2

erelislt

Well, I'm finally done checking out of my command. I can hardly believe how quickly it's coming now - this whole new direction is completely surreal to me. I'm excited to be on this path though!

Well said :) I am feeling exactly the same. I am on the way from Guam (currently at Chicago's airport waiting for connecting flight to my leave destination, cannot believe how surreal this is as well :) I see you all in Rhode Island! I am getting there on the 15th.

By the way, USO kicks butt!

k_smittay

Anyone getting their OC uniforms ahead of time? It may be advisable, you can have them tailored and get the premium material rather than the basics and bring them with you (kinda like the difference between CNT and cotton whites).

Everything I have read and been told by folks who have already gone through says not to purchase anything because some people were required to give any OC uniforms they purchased to the thrift shop and start over. Plus, what is premium materials? Khakis are khakis. I would be careful and just use the alloted time to get your uniforms when they allow you.. PLUS... what if you get dropped right away for whatever reason... just my two cents.

SHAF

Idle for glory
pilot
I heard pretty much the exact opposite from some guys that were just at NSI, so I figured I would at least throw out the idea. I havent specifially read anything that would discourage it in any of the instructions, although, im not so sure that they planned on anyone bringing them either. Anyone know of a concrete instructional answer? As for getting dropped, if you get dropped for a non-med reason during the first week... you are just pathetic.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
As far as Khaki material goes there are two choices: CNT, and Poly-wool. Each is worn as "Service Khakis" per the Uniform regulations. Then for "Working Khakis" the material of choice is cotton. Unfortunately the NSI buying list says we must all purchase the CNT (I say unfortunately because the Poly-wool is AWESOME, it is easy to clean and more comfortable in HOT weather. With glued in creases and being machine washable it is inexpensive to keep nice and great to wear). I own three sets of Poly-cottons and love them. I'm disapointed to have to "shelf" them and buy CNT's at NSI but its something I'll have to deal with.

Now when it comes to manufacturer there are many options. From what I've seen the NEX usually carries one or two brands for most of the uniforms. Then there are the Abotts and others that I'm unaware of that you can order either through reps or online. From what I've seen even the lowest cost uniforms are suitable for everyday wear and will do you just fine. The Abotts and others out there are genuinely much higher quality but come with a higher cost that may not be within your budget nor may it even be worth it for the average Junior Officer. I'd say personally save your money for beer and women :D

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
I heard pretty much the exact opposite from some guys that were just at NSI, so I figured I would at least throw out the idea. I havent specifially read anything that would discourage it in any of the instructions, although, im not so sure that they planned on anyone bringing them either. Anyone know of a concrete instructional answer? As for getting dropped, if you get dropped for a non-med reason during the first week... you are just pathetic.

Don't buy your uniforms ahead of time. The whole first week of NSI is devoted to OC seabag shopping and uniform tailoring, so there's no point in doing it to get "ahead of the game."

SHAF

Idle for glory
pilot
Its not so much to get "ahead of the game" its more just so that I can personlize my uniforms and get them fitted correctly. If the uniform week is anything like bootcamp was, nothing will fit me correctly.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
Its not so much to get "ahead of the game" its more just so that I can personlize my uniforms and get them fitted correctly. If the uniform week is anything like bootcamp was, nothing will fit me correctly.

I understand where you are coming from. I dropped 25lbs. in Boot Camp from start to finish and none of my uniforms fit me at the end, so I had to go get all new uniforms during the last two days I was there waiting to ship out to A-school.

I have a feeling that NSI is going to be no different for me so I'm just going to anticipate having to buy more uniforms at the end! :icon_rage

ELT(SS)

You have to remember that at boot camp there were many thousands of people there getting uniforms tailored. There will be less than 200 this time, so I think they will do a little better job. And for everybody that got their uniforms re-tailored at the end of boot camp, who had to buy all new uniforms in 6 months because everything was too small?(I did) I will get one of each uniform that actually gets worn often fixed, but I will leave the rest so that when I get fat again I will still have uniforms. Being in San Diego means Carne Asada Fries, and that means fat guy for me. But I am OK with that, because they are deliciously wonderful.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
Does anyone agree with me that it should be a MAN law to not use smilies? Why don't we start finishing every sentence with exclamation points too...

MasterBates

While SkidKid may agree with you, even he has been "fooled" into using Smiles.

:icon_smil

They help keep sarcasm/humor detectors working properly IMHO.