• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WHO DO YOU LIKE for Pres ... ???

Who Do You Like for Democrat Presidential Candidate?

• Christopher Dodd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John Edwards

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • Mike Gravel

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Dennis Kucinich

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Tom Vilsac

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Joe Biden

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Hillary Clinton

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 54 45.4%
  • Bill Richardson

Votes: 25 21.0%

• Total voters

MasterBates

Senator Obama is the media's darling.

Hate to say it but it is mostly because he is a minority, and speaks well. Whatever skeletons are in his closet have remained hidden fairly well, or have been downplayed by a combination of being said media darling and good spin doctors.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I've started feeling sketchy about Obama and I don't really know why. Anyone else wondering about this guy?
I'm kind of wondering about Hillary myself.....:eek: :eek: :eek:

hiliaryvi4.png

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
ha ha.. not the dreaded mahocas. Nah, just read that he's rediculing Cheney, saying he's been wrong in all his predictions, that he'd probably forecasted sun today (cloudy day), etc. I understand ya gotta fight, but seems like he's dropping some low blows right off the bat early on in the campaign. Just not sure if he's being very tactful, and that makes me wonder a little about his character.
I am interested in what predictions the VP has gotten right.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
From 1992, post Gulf War I appearance before a Seattle audience-

"And the question in my mind is how many additional American casualties is Saddam worth?" Cheney said. "And the answer is not very damned many. So I think we got it right, both when we decided to expel him from Kuwait, but also when the president made the decision that we'd achieved our objectives and we were not going to go get bogged down in the problems of trying to take over and govern Iraq."

"All of a sudden you've got a battle you're fighting in a major built-up city [re: urban warfare in Baghdad], a lot of civilians are around, significant limitations on our ability to use our most effective technologies and techniques," said Cheney.

"Once we had rounded him up and gotten rid of his government, then the question is what do you put in its place? You know, you then have accepted the responsibility for governing Iraq." :(
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/192908_cheney29.html

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
While the gun laws in illinois and NY are stricter than most states, I believe they should be...OKlahoma and Texas don't have the issues with gun violence that Chicago does and that New York did

While I certainly can't argue with your statement here, I would point out that the extent to which gun control laws effect a reduction in gun violence is a matter of some debate. Arguably, those who carry out gun crimes are not those who are obeying gun control laws in the first place. Aside from all the philosophical objections (2nd amendment etc...), this has always been my principal objection to gun control legislation. No new law prevents a guy from buying a .38 snubby out of a trunk...

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
... While the gun laws in illinois and NY are stricter than most states, I believe they should be...OKlahoma and Texas don't have the issues with gun violence that Chicago does and that New York did...

Oh yes. WASHDC has banned gun ownership (all types, some limited grandfathering)since the early 1970's. Basically, only criminals have the guns, and all guns they do have are already illegal, AND DC is considered the Murder Capitol of the nation. Soooo.... the DC council is talking about repeal or "a holiday" for gun ownership, in that the need for self defense by law abiding citizens has be repeatedly demonstrated.

Following is an interesting excerpt of a report of Australia's firearms ban and confiscation.

" .....Be that as it may, at a cost of $500 million, out of an estimated 7 million firearms (of which 2.8 million were prohibited), only 640,000 guns were surrendered to police. What has been the result? Same as in England. Like in Great Britain, crime Down Under has escalated. Twelve months after the law was implemented in 1997, there has been a 44 percent increase in armed robberies; an 8.6 percent increase in aggravated assaults; and, a 3.2 percent increase in homicides. That same year in the state of Victoria, there was a 300 percent increase in homicides committed with firearms. The following year, robberies increased almost 60 percent in South Australia. By 1999, assaults had increased in New South Wales by almost 20 percent.

Two years after the ban, there have been further increases in crime: armed robberies by 73 percent; unarmed robberies by 28 percent; kidnappings by 38 percent; assaults by 17 percent; manslaughter by 29 percent, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

And consider the fact that over the previous 25-year period, Australia had shown a steady decrease both in homicide with firearms and armed robbery --- until the ban.

Australia, a semi-arid, isolated continent, and a vast nation-state, in many ways parallels the history of the United States. In the 1850s and 1860s, it had gold rushes and pioneering settlers, reminiscent of our own western migration. In World War I and World War II, it fought with the allies. Australia remained a subject of Great Britain until 1986, when the last ties with the British crown were dissolved. With only 19 million people, Australia has an impressive fauna that includes plenty of varmints, marsupials, dingoes (that wreak havoc on livestock), as well as large rats and other rodents. Yet, hunting has become prohibitively difficult for all but a handful of Australians with private lands and the usual connections. Now, the ban on firearms and the disarmament of ordinary Australians has left criminals free to roam the countryside as they please. Bandits, of course, kept their guns. Like in America, only the law-abiding, by definition, obey the law. Yet, the leftist Australian government has responded by passing more laws; in 1998 Bowie knives and other knives and items including handcuffs were banned.

Licensing is difficult. Self and family protection is not considered a valid reason to own a firearm. The right to self-defense, like in Great Britain and Canada, is not recognized in Australia, Like Americans, Australians loved and possessed firearms --- that is until the ban. Freedom has been extinguished. A way of life has ended. Please, don't tell me it cannot happen here!

Dr. Faria is the Editor-in-Chief of the Medical Sentinel. His e-mail is hfaria@mindspring.com.

Originally published in the Medical Sentinel 2000;5(3):107. .... ":)

thull

Agree with that...I think it's just the great unknowns about Barack that have me wondering, as MB said. I originally liked that he seemed to be a uniter, more than the other candidates. But his strong disdain for the other party and his extreme left (albeit young) voting record makes me wonder if he has what it takes to bring the country together and keep it together for a potential term as president. Guess we'll have to watch things unfold for a while to get a better picture..

BigRed389

None

While I certainly can't argue with your statement here, I would point out that the extent to which gun control laws effect a reduction in gun violence is a matter of some debate. Arguably, those who carry out gun crimes are not those who are obeying gun control laws in the first place. Aside from all the philosophical objections (2nd amendment etc...), this has always been my principal objection to gun control legislation. No new law prevents a guy from buying a .38 snubby out of a trunk...

Fair enough, but what about teen gang/drug related violence?

There are, or at least were, plenty of places in NYC to buy street-illegal knives. And I knew plenty of "smart" kids that carried, and there were plenty of dumb ones that went and stabbed each other in other schools. That's just the ones that bothered going to school of course.

I think the main argument was to reduce easy access to guns for that particular demographic, particularly when gang violence was a serious problem.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
you mean old football head that Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee wants to sell spare f-16 parts to?? I won't buy gas from Citgo anymore!!