• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who’s gonna fly this thing?

HuggyU2

None
As my RAF friend said to me: "We just HAD to birth the RAF on April Fool's Day. Couldn't do it a day before or later?"

Also... the 1st Aero Squadron (now the 1st Recon Squadron) had been in operation for over 5 years before the RAF.

The first American in the US military to shoot down an enemy aircraft was from 1st Aero.

The Brits claim they had the first flying squadrons... even before 1st Aero. However, the "aircraft" in those squadrons were balloons. Really? Ballons?? Balloons don't count.

Pags

N/A
pilot
As my RAF friend said to me: "We just HAD to birth the RAF on April Fool's Day. Couldn't do it a day before or later?"

Also... the 1st Aero Squadron (now the 1st Recon Squadron) had been in operation for over 5 years before the RAF.

The first American in the US military to shoot down an enemy aircraft was from 1st Aero.

The Brits claim they had the first flying squadrons... even before 1st Aero. However, the "aircraft" in those squadrons were balloons. Really? Ballons?? Balloons don't count.
I mean there were a lot of British squadrons (or whatever they called them) in existence before 1918. The RFC was started in 1912 and fought most of WWI before becoming the RAF.

Random8145

"Hey, I've got an idea. Why don't we land one of them on a boat?"

"Well now you've gone bloody crazy, old chap."
Some decades later....

"These new jet-powered aircraft are too heavy to take off from a carrier runway."

"Don't worry, we've got a plan to hook them up to catapults and fling them off...."

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
My crew where guests of the RN at the China Fleet Club once upon a time, They told us with a straight face that "Only you Yanks are crazy enough to allow Boot-Necks to fly an otherwise valuable aircraft"

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
My crew where guests of the RN at the China Fleet Club once upon a time, They told us with a straight face that "Only you Yanks are crazy enough to allow Boot-Necks to fly an otherwise valuable aircraft"
I miss the China Fleet Club…what a hoot that RM Commando mess was epic.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I miss the China Fleet Club…what a hoot that RM Commando mess was epic.
I heard a great deal about the China Fleet Club. Was jazzed to visit. But when we were there it was closed. As I recall remodeling or something. Just stood outside utterly disappointed to have missed out on such a slice of history and tradition.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I heard a great deal about the China Fleet Club. Was jazzed to visit. But when we were there it was closed. As I recall remodeling or something. Just stood outside utterly disappointed to have missed out on such a slice of history and tradition.
Total bummer! Still, a port call to “old” Hong Kong was always a great trip.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Total bummer! Still, a port call to “old” Hong Kong was always a great trip.
I recall one night I pulled duty as a Shore Patrol Officer The briefing the crusty 'ol MA Chief gave was classic. After half scaring to hell all the duty SP guys he ended with, "Don't ever speak to the HK police. When they show up turn around and walk the other way. Do not look back. Forget everything your hear."

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I recall one night I pulled duty as a Shore Patrol Officer The briefing the crusty 'ol MA Chief gave was classic. After half scaring to hell all the duty SP guys he ended with, "Don't ever speak to the HK police. When they show up turn around and walk the other way. Do not look back. Forget everything your hear."
The only interaction I had with the HK Police was at the airport and it was kind of awkward. The aircrew went through a seperate line for customs (It was an officers wife's club junket) Any way some Cathay Pacific customer service reps got us through customs and take us to an elevator, The doors finally open and there is a squad of HK Police standing there done up in flacks and toting HK's. We just kind of froze up staring at them for what seemed to be a good minute before the customer service girls introduced us. Turns out they where just going off duty.
Not as exiting as the bus load of Carabinieri riot police in Sigonella but that is another story on it's own.