• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiz Wheel

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Whiz wheel = E6B?

It's the Navy version of a circular slide rule. Basically the same principle as an E6B, just a bit more compact and, IMO, easier to use. I believe the AF uses the E6B (along w/ the civilian world, of course), which is what Flash was referring to.

Except for figuring out TAS and crosswind, I always found I was MUCH faster using a calculator to figure stuff out. Back when I needed DA, I used charts in the back of NATOPS.

Junior

pilot
I got pretty good at using the whizwheel in API and Primary. Since then haven't touched the thing. They don't even mention using a whiz wheel in Meridian (or compute for winds aloft). Anyways, all the comments about setting up ratios and writing out the equation are right on. Also, try talking to yourself as you set up the ratio on the wheel. ex:"My a/s is 120kts, so I will go 120nm in 60min." That made me see what the wheel was actually doing. Good Luck!

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I got pretty good at using the whizwheel in API and Primary. Since then haven't touched the thing. They don't even mention using a whiz wheel in Meridian (or compute for winds aloft). Anyways, all the comments about setting up ratios and writing out the equation are right on. Also, try talking to yourself as you set up the ratio on the wheel. ex:"My a/s is 120kts, so I will go 120nm in 60min." That made me see what the wheel was actually doing. Good Luck!

Great advice. During the exam, you'll see people talking themselves through each problem. It's great way to check yourself. Remember, time really flies during the test. Practice timing yourself when you do the practice test in the back of the book. I had a buddy with 10 mins left and he didnt even start on the flight logs yet! :eek:

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Because the aircraft does it for you. When it stops doing it for you, you have bigger problems.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I got pretty good at using the whizwheel in API and Primary. Since then haven't touched the thing...
Same-O,, same-O ... it's like Morse Code ... we had to learn it and were tested on it in PreFlight --- then we never used it again. I think it's main benefit was that you could recognize about half of the station identifiers as a result of this Morse "immersion" ... :)

THIS was my "Whiz-wheel" once I started flying ..... it always worked.

But I still like Mr. Morse's efforts:

- . / . . . . - / . . . / - - - / . . - / - :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Interesting message N4s

So what did you expect from an old man ... Mr. Morse, himself ??? :) Like I said, we promptly dropped it and I use it to recognize about "half" of the station idents in the world. :):)

At least it proves that I did it from my fading memory ....

. . / . - / - - / . . . / . / - . / . . / . - . . / . :eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
JetJunkie said:
....it is discounted if you can find someone with a Boeing discount.
jeppesen-cr-3-computer.jpg

This is what I carried in my brain bag for 25 years at the airline --- it was never used. Not even once ... :)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is what I carried in my brain bag for 25 years at the airline --- it was never used. Not even once ... :)
That's what we use on the bridge....well, the mere mortals did anyway. But they were also the ones that had trouble with relative motion in two dimensional space. :eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
That's what we use on the bridge....well, the mere mortals did anyway. But they were also the ones that had trouble with relative motion in two dimensional space. :eek:

And here I thought you were going to say: "A4's brain" ... he carried it for 25 years ... never used it once .... so thanks, thanks for your kindness, Steve. :)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And here I thought you were going to say: "A4's brain" ... he carried it for 25 years ... never used it once .... so thanks, thanks for your kindness, Steve. :)
Yea, and then you say some bullsh!t about seat of the pants flying.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Thanks for the advice... practice and writing each problem out first (ratio form) have really made the difference. All responses much appreciated...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just wait until you attempt the fun trick known as "math in the cockpit". You'd be amazed how hard adding two numbers can become....

Pags

N/A
pilot
Just wait until you attempt the fun trick known as "math in the cockpit". You'd be amazed how hard adding two numbers can become....

At least in a crewed aircraft there's a couple of folks to fvck up the math. "2+2?" "it's 3" "really, i think its 5"....ah CRM.