• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiz Wheel

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Does anyone have any advice for gaining a better understanding of the whiz wheel? The description and methods in the API pubs are killing me... I figure once I get deeper into the practice problems things will start to come together better, but thought I'd ask anyway. Any advice would be welcomed. At this point, its becoming more useful as a weapon with which to harass my roomate than as a navigational tool. Thanks-

Chubby

I can honestly say that I haven't used that thing since API, doesn't really help but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

onedge

pilot
whiz wheel huh? I HATED that thing in ppl. I guess it would be dumb to ask if you can use an electric flight computer?

Pags

N/A
pilot
You can read the manual that comes with it. Or, just do a bunch of the problems till you get the feel for it. Try solving the problems with a normal calculator to double check yourself. Basically, you're using the wheel to set up a ratio, such as distance over time to give you speed; or fuel over time for consumption. But really, the key is to practice. Eventually, you'll be able to solve problems much faster on the wheel than on a calculator. And if you end up in the HTs, you haven't seen the end of the wheel.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The ratios are the easy part. It's all the TAS, PA, and DA stuff that's tough.

nugget81

pilot
Does anyone have any advice for gaining a better understanding of the whiz wheel?

Practice, practice, practice! And if you still need help, find someone who knows what they're doing and have them tutor you. Best of luck!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Whiz wheel. Suck it up and learn it for the tests. Then .... ???

Use it to cut cheese for your wine and cheese tasting parties ... :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can honestly say that I haven't used that thing since API, doesn't really help but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Too bad you didn't go to Randolph for advanced Nav school. We got to use that thing all the time, the big steel USAF version! :(

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Does anyone have any advice for gaining a better understanding of the whiz wheel? The description and methods in the API pubs are killing me... I figure once I get deeper into the practice problems things will start to come together better, but thought I'd ask anyway. Any advice would be welcomed. At this point, its becoming more useful as a weapon with which to harass my roomate than as a navigational tool. Thanks-

The equations are laid out for you. I had trouble learning the whiz wheel too. Write out the equations and youll see what needs to be on the outer wheel and inner wheel so you can get the answer youre looking for. Basically, its just doing the practice problems over and over again. Also, STUDY IN A GROUP! If u work with other ppl who actually know what theyre doing, you'll do well on the exam. Good luck bro :)

SlickAg

pilot
Do an estimation first by setting up a ratio or just plain work the problem out quickly with pencil and paper. If you have a good number, the whiz wheel can be used as a back-up. Also, make sure you understand the difference between the different black triangles. Get together with one of your buddies who really knows his shi!t and have him explain to you when you should use the different ratios. However, you'll have to learn how to do the problems quickly; time goes by really quickly during the test.