• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiz Quiz

Just find a cool flight doc and ask. I wondered this same thing (not the piss test but what we are allowed to take) but was more curious about nutritional supp's, believe it or not Gatorade is prohibited because it is considered performance enhancing, but the 2 docs I have dealt with at NASK were the most approachable I've ever met so it made it easier I suppose.

I call shens/bs/hogwash/farfenugen!

magnetfreezer

Just find a cool flight doc and ask. I wondered this same thing (not the piss test but what we are allowed to take) but was more curious about nutritional supp's, believe it or not Gatorade is prohibited because it is considered performance enhancing, but the 2 docs I have dealt with at NASK were the most approachable I've ever met so it made it easier I suppose.

According to http://navmedmpte.med.navy.mil/nomi/nami/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver Guide - Supplements.pdf (NOMI Waiver Guide pg 3),

1. Sports drinks without creatine, ephedra, herbal supplements:
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Background: Sport drinks not containing any of the compounds listed in Class B or Class C (i.e. ephedra, herbal compounds, glycerol, and creatine) and containing only a mixture of carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals, are allowed. These have been shown to help performance of continuous activity lasting longer than 90 minutes. [/FONT]

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I have seen many a "fallen angel" show up in the fleet as SuppO's. Wanna guess why the washed out? Low grades? Unsafe? Nope. The majority of the 7 or 8 I've seen were there because they took some OTC stuff, and they were found out. This is the best anecdotal evidence I could ever need to walk the line at flight school. Nobody should ever have to be a SuppO.

Pags

N/A
pilot
clearly what was i thinking? no one ever bends rules, even an over zealous sna who doesn't want to go med down for a being sick when he is not flying and thinks it is something a little advil cold and sinus can heal. i do appreciate the responses

If you're not flying, what's the worry about going to see the flight doc?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you're not flying, what's the worry about going to see the flight doc?

That's his point. If he skips going to see the doc (which I can understand since they don't really do anything but through pills at you), will the whiz quiz detect the sinus meds and thereby cause him to be breaking rocks for a living.

The answer is no, it won't. But more importantly, just put the thing you're taking on the "Medications" line when you fill out your whiz quiz paperwork. Then you've given full disclosure. If you're not currently flying (like in a pool or in ground school), this isn't a big deal.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Whiz quiz and post-mishap blood work are completely separate things. The blood work will test for absolutely everything. Self-medication (including unauthorized supplements) will get you FNAEB'd. Two CNAF's ago the policy was self-med = gone, no questions asked. Current one may listen to your excuses, but I doubt it, especially from an SNA.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Just as a quick aside....I know of at least 1 winged aviator who got popped for MDMA (ecstasy) and ended up going to prison for driving across the border from Canada with a couple hundred pills while he was in administrative limbo. I knew 2 guys that I had gone to OCS with that admitted taking it when they went down to Tampa for a rave one weekend during API...they never got caught, but I was, and still am beside myself. A couple years removed from that situation, I think that the right thing to do would have been to turn them in. One of those guys ended up getting attrited out of the program because he was a real brick.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just as a quick aside....I know of at least 1 winged aviator who got popped for MDMA (ecstasy) and ended up going to prison for driving across the border from Canada with a couple hundred pills while he was in administrative limbo. I knew 2 guys that I had gone to OCS with that admitted taking it when they went down to Tampa for a rave one weekend during API...they never got caught, but I was, and still am beside myself. A couple years removed from that situation, I think that the right thing to do would have been to turn them in. One of those guys ended up getting attrited out of the program because he was a real brick.

Huh? Hitting the crack pipe again Mumbles? ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have seen many a "fallen angel" show up in the fleet as SuppO's. Wanna guess why the washed out? Low grades? Unsafe? Nope. The majority of the 7 or 8 I've seen were there because they took some OTC stuff, and they were found out. This is the best anecdotal evidence I could ever need to walk the line at flight school. Nobody should ever have to be a SuppO.

Never heard of that, what were they taking? Just Marines?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
clearly what was i thinking? no one ever bends rules, even an over zealous sna who doesn't want to go med down for a being sick when he is not flying and thinks it is something a little advil cold and sinus can heal. i do appreciate the responses

Easy there killer. A word of advice. Especially about subjects like this, it would serve you alot better to be clear and state your "real question" right up front. That way you'd be much more likely to get an answer instead of laughed at a troll sprayed.

If the above is really what you are after, its a legitimate question...your first post, was not.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Never heard of that, what were they taking? Just Marines?

They were all Marines. And I was a junior enlisted guy so I always got the short version until I became the ops clerk at one of my units. The most poignant one was self-medication with something that sounded like No-Doze. It turned into undisclosed self-medication (which is what we're talking about here) and he was attrited. They were pretty secretive with this matter, but you could always tell who they were because their MOSs showed up on the alpha rosters. I was always the guy with the stones to go ask what they were doing there and not in flight school.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Well go figure. I was told straight from the Doc down here that it was, maybe I shall research every bit of advice or info for myself in the future. :confused:
Good, you learned your lesson. Now never forget this little gem of knowlege. Probably one of the single most important things to ever learn in the Nav.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I appreciate the sentiment of many of you, the guy asked an honest question and all most of you have to offer is a bunch of lame holier than though condescension. Let's face it, some of the stuff that NOMI puts out is ridiculous (like the amount of caffeine you can and can not ingest, etc). We all lament the degree to which we are all treated like children in this area, yet everyone jumps this guy's shit. WTF? The truth of the matter is that the random urinalysis screenings we're all routinely subjected to do not test for supplements, OTC meds, or Gatorade abuse. They check for the commonly abused street drugs - nothing more.

Brett

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
While I appreciate the sentiment of many of you, the guy asked an honest question and all most of you have to offer is a bunch of lame holier than though condescension. Let's face it, some of the stuff that NOMI puts out is ridiculous (like the amount of caffeine you can and can not ingest, etc). We all lament the degree to which we are all treated like children in this area, yet everyone jumps this guy's shit. WTF? The truth of the matter is that the random urinalysis screenings we're all routinely subjected to do not test for supplements, OTC meds, or Gatorade abuse. They check for the commonly abused street drugs - nothing more.

Brett

I agree with you that the question of OTC stuff for basic uses (ie: call flight doc at 2am or take an Ibuprofen and be done with) is a no brainer, and there is still an out to admit to it should it even be an issue at a drug screening. Fitness supplements (creatine, etc) should NOT be taken and I still stand that asking if you can get away with that is a no brainer.

I think we (read: I as well) were quick to attack the OP due to the recent post(s) of the "Hey, so can I smoke weed and not test positive in a month when I apply?" question. Ya, the poster most certainly was not asking this, but that question left a bad taste in a lot of mouths about people asking about the whiz quiz and/or how they can get around it.