• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiz Quiz

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
This is probably a dumb question but it is a multi-vitamin considered a fitness type supplement?

No. No permission required. I take a multi-vitamin, salmon oil and green vegetable supplement. If that ain't allowed, I don't know what the hell is.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
The truth of the matter is that the random urinalysis screenings we're all routinely subjected to do not test for supplements, OTC meds, or Gatorade abuse. They check for the commonly abused street drugs - nothing more.

Slight thread divergence: My favorite signage in all the military can be found over the door when entering the USAF Urinalysis Lab in San Antonio:

"We Don't Take Any Shit"

I guess it helps to have a sense of humor if your job is to look at urine 40 hrs/week....

LivinMyDream

pilot
Just find a cool flight doc and ask. I wondered this same thing (not the piss test but what we are allowed to take) but was more curious about nutritional supp's, believe it or not Gatorade is prohibited because it is considered performance enhancing, but the 2 docs I have dealt with at NASK were the most approachable I've ever met so it made it easier I suppose.

So I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I just did half of my LPNV Swim Physiology refresher training this afternoon and the flight surgeon, as always, discussed the prohibited substances. He stated that, starting today, all energy drinks are off limits (Red Bull, Monster, etc.), and that aircrew should avoid them like any other unapproved substance. The physiology admin guys are trying to send memos out to all of the squadrons to let them know to get rid of all that Red Bull, etc in the Ge-Dunks. That should be interesting...

He then said that sport drinks, including Gatorade, were technically off limits. I didn't speak up, because frankly I don't care enough, but I thought of the discussion on AW. His reasoning was because it is "electrolyte replacement," and thus, performance enhancing (as JohnDavid stated above).

I know what everyone has quoted/said/stated before, and I don't want to start another discussion on the topic because, like I said, I really just don't care that much. But I thought I would share what I heard as of today (Wednesday, 04 JUN 08).

Cheers!

Tim

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.....the flight surgeon.... then said that sport drinks, including Gatorade, were technically off limits. I didn't speak up, because frankly I don't care enough, but I thought of the discussion on AW. His reasoning was because it is "electrolyte replacement," and thus, performance enhancing (as JohnDavid stated above).

Are you sure it was a flight surgeon, was it an aviation physiologist?

I have never heard of this and if it is true, it is absurd. I would defer to Feddoc and the pubs on this.

gdd05

He then said that sport drinks, including Gatorade, were technically off limits. I didn't speak up, because frankly I don't care enough, but I thought of the discussion on AW. His reasoning was because it is "electrolyte replacement," and thus, performance enhancing (as JohnDavid stated above).

Tim

The electrolytes that Gatorade provides are Potassium and Cholride. So no more salt or bananas. Sorry guys. ;)

BTW, Gatorade isn't "performance enhancing" it is more like "performance sustaining". I don't know what these guys are thinking.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTW, Gatorade isn't "performance enhancing" it is more like "performance sustaining". I don't know what these guys are thinking.

I think it is a simple case of a Physiologist or a Flight Surgeon talking out his a$$.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
..all energy drinks are off limits (Red Bull, Monster, etc.), and that aircrew should avoid them like any other unapproved substance

I used to work for Red Bull and while I'm not pushing or defending it, I gotta call some sort of shinanigans on this one. If it is indeed banned, I would have to wonder why anything other than water or fruit juice isn't also. The caffeine content is the same as a cup of coffee and the rest of what's in it you can get from a daily multivitamin anyways (which I was told is kosher for us).

As for other energy drinks, I think some would be ok while some are pretty ridiculous in what's in them. It sounds to me like they may have just made a blanket policy (if it is true) instead of trying to actually identify the products individually.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have a version of 3710.7U and there's nothing in there about this. I know things can change and it's not signed, but seriously. I've also been told (by a very pro-active and well respected AMSO/physiologist) that the 450 mg is a bogus number, so I'm doubting that's the reasoning behind Red Bull.

I'm w/ Livin'...I have not dog in this fight, but this seems silly.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
CLASS C Supplements (Not authorized for use by any aviation personnel)
Personnel taking these substances should be removed from aviation duty for a minimum of 24 hours after the last dose of the substance.
Herbal Supplements:

– Humulus lupulus (Hops)

No more beer. :)