• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiting or Corpus for Primary

I checked in on a Monday and classed up that Friday and finished exactly 6 months from my start date (with the winter weather delays but also with the las cruces det). If you are just now showing up, you will probably be finished in 5-6 months with corpus's summer weather.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I really liked whiting. I didn't have to move again, so that was awesome. And I liked the Pensacola area a lot (if you are about to hate on Pensacola and you have been to a grand total of 2 duty stations, save it). There is actually a pretty good amount of stuff to do, and most of it on the cheap. They totally allow drinking on the beach for Christ sake. And you know what THAT leads to....cause you can also stay on the beach all night. But I digress...

The only reason I can think of NOT to stay in whiting is addressed in the BOQ thread.

And I am not a surfer, but East Coast surfing? I'll probably learn in Cherry Point, but it is like snowboarding in Nebraska. It ain't the real deal.

eurotrash

USMC SNA
PCS to Whiting

Been looking around on here, just trying to find out. Do Marines get a PCS with HHG shipment authorized to Whiting. Say, if I wanted to live closer than Pensacola. Thanks for any experience/info shared on this.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
You won't get paid anything for the move from Pcola to Milton, if that's what you mean. We did the move in a day's work using our own trucks, so having to move was hardly a deal breaker. This allowed us to live on Perdido for API, and then moving put us too close to Whiting.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I really liked whiting. I didn't have to move again, so that was awesome. And I liked the Pensacola area a lot (if you are about to hate on Pensacola and you have been to a grand total of 2 duty stations, save it). There is actually a pretty good amount of stuff to do, and most of it on the cheap. They totally allow drinking on the beach for Christ sake. And you know what THAT leads to....cause you can also stay on the beach all night. But I digress...

The only reason I can think of NOT to stay in whiting is addressed in the BOQ thread.

And I am not a surfer, but East Coast surfing? I'll probably learn in Cherry Point, but it is like snowboarding in Nebraska. It ain't the real deal.

Man love? :eek:

MettGT

pilot
What is the possibility of switching over to CC from WF while waiting in the pool?

While in the API pool, it's not that big of a deal because API slots are based on Primary slots (for the Marines at least). If you're in the Primary pool, I would imagine that it's a bit more difficult.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wouldn't it matter for API though? If you look at all the class lists they're divided by what TW the people are going to afterward. I figure that has to be some big picture manning issue, but one that could be solved with a discussion to people in flight management.

magnetfreezer

Wouldn't it matter for API though? If you look at all the class lists they're divided by what TW the people are going to afterward. I figure that has to be some big picture manning issue, but one that could be solved with a discussion to people in flight management.

Had a few SNAs in my API class who thought they were going to Whiting until about the 5th week of API and then only had a few days to get their stuff packed for Corpus, so it is possible.

MettGT

pilot
That's what I was saying. On the green side, there are slots given to us for API and they are filled on a kind of "first come, first serve" basis. What is available varies week to week. Say we have 4 API slots - 2 might be for Corpus and 2 for Whiting or they could be all Whiting. Marines in the pool aren't given a class until they jump through all the hoops. So, you can basically change your mind until you're slotted for a class. However, unfortunate others might have their minds made up for them (ie sent to Vance).

Augustus

While in the API pool, it's not that big of a deal because API slots are based on Primary slots (for the Marines at least). If you're in the Primary pool, I would imagine that it's a bit more difficult.

Let me clarify. I meant the primary pool.