• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiting or Corpus for Primary

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
My experience is a little dated, but I did Corpus for Primary and Whiting for Advanced, then came back to Whiting as an IP.

I did prefer getting to use actual ATC the whole way through RIs in Primary, BTW.

Which squadrons are "coolest" changes every year. COs and XOs rotate every 18-24 months, which turns everything upside down, plus about 1/3 of the IPs change every year.

As far as the cities go, if you don't like CC or PCola, you'd better hope you get San Diego as your final duty station, because they are both way better than the typical USN/USMC towns. I was single, liked to move, and made mad money on the DLA.

Corpus is more of a city on its own and isn't so military-centric, which was nice. You will meet a much broader range of people out on the town, for good and bad. The beaches were oil stained, but you could bring your dog out there, take vehicles loaded with beer on the beach, etc.

P-Cola is generally a more attractive town, but you can't walk the street for 5 minutes without something Navy smacking you in the face, especially since they moved all the aviation schoolhouses there. The beaches are nicer, and they actually have clubs on the beach that are fairly nice.

If you're a dyed-in-the-wool northeasterner or something (having lived in Philly for 4 years, I know of such people), you might not like the "Southern" thing (or "thang" as the case may be). Guess where half the duty stations in the Navy/MC are. Better get used to it. It has its upsides.

I've posted before, part of the key of getting by the military is learning to enjoy every duty station. Sometimes you'd be surprised what you find.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
As far as the cities go, if you don't like CC or PCola, you'd better hope you get San Diego as your final duty station, because they are both way better than the typical USN/USMC towns.

I suppose if you mean by "typical" Kingsville, Lemoore etc...:confused:

I can honestly say that Corpus and Pensacola were the worst places I've served. I had good times in each, and good times are out there, but as far as people, ameneties, recreation etc...they were the pits. Haven't been to Norfolk but damn...what the hell????

Long story short? Make up your own mind...:D:D Opinions are like...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I suppose if you mean by "typical" Kingsville, Lemoore etc...:confused:

...or Havelock, Jacksonville, NC, Beaufort, etc.

Norfolk is Pensacola squared.

Jacksonville, FL isn't exactly Paris, either.

That said, I actually really dig all of those places for their own charms. I'm either very twisted or very easy to please.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
There is no comparing P-cola, CC, Norfolk with San Diego. Those are the four places I've been stationed and San Dog is greater, bar none. Not an opinion, pure fact.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is no comparing P-cola, CC, Norfolk with San Diego. Those are the four places I've been stationed and San Dog is greater, bar none. Not an opinion, pure fact.

Seconded.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Orlando, Charleston, Newport, Kings Bay (marginally...:D), Bangor, Ithaca NY, Pensacola, Corpus, Jax....

Jax ain't Paris, true, but I'd damn sure rather be here...

You gave the best piece of advice in the thread, so I'll forgive your slight of Mother KNIP...;)

Bottom line is, as Phrog said, find something to enjoy wherever you are stationed...

Personally I just found alot more everywhere else!:)

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pensacola does, definitely. Of course, the grass is always greener on the other side. For surfing, your best bet is kite-surfing in Corpus. The waves are pretty choppy otherwise.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
If you're a dyed-in-the-wool northeasterner or something (having lived in Philly for 4 years, I know of such people), you might not like the "Southern" thing (or "thang" as the case may be). Guess where half the duty stations in the Navy/MC are. Better get used to it. It has its upsides.

This is slowly dawning on me.

Always look on the bright side of life....

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
You could always end up in exotic Enid, America flying with the Air Farce for primary, surfing on amber waves of grain and falling asleep to the whistling sounds of tornado sirens.

Either way, whiting or corpus is way more fun than dealing with Enoids.

I dream of heading back somewhere navyish with plenty of trashy women, cheap terrible booze, and a beach.

tlevine

I have to say I like Corpus way better than Pensacola although I have friends at Whitting and stayed there briefly. It is true that in the past, Whitting students are much better about finishing on time than Corpus, although recently the Commodore reported that Corpus is back on schedule thanks to better than usual weather. Winter-Spring Corpus weather is just crappy. Some guys wait months just to finish up their FAM 4 flight or the first four flights to introduce you to the T-34. However, you can move real quickly, some guys are finishing in as little as five months. Plus you have the Cruz's Det that takes you out to New Mexico during the crappiest of the crappy months and you fly twice a day six days a week and finish off contacts in no time. Night life seems to be good, Texas A&M CC campus is here so there are some attractive women running around if you know where to look. Not the Pelican...usually just Cougars and Pumas and none that are worth writing home about. And so far, rumors about instructors having a bad reputation really does not seem to have materialized, or at least not yet.

The beaches are uglier, but you can drive on them. Its a Texas thing I guess and if you are here in spring all the spring breakers come down here. All in all, I like Corpus much better than Florida.