• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiting or Corpus for Primary

SQUIDutah

pilot
Recently the API studs who have follow-on orders to Whiting Field have had their orders changed to go to Corpus Christi. I was talking to one of the guys in charge and he gave me the option. I just wanted to throw it out there and ask everyone (which is most everyone... except Vance people) if they could choose a place to do Primary where could they go.

What are the pro's and con's of each Primary site?

Does Corpus or Whiting go faster?

Are there more things to do in Corpus?

Any feedback would be great. :)

Rubiks06

pilot
When I went through last year whiting was way faster. Corpus was backed up and people were taking forever to get through. Pro to whiting is you dont have to move again.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Just to be the exception, I finished Corpus in September weeks faster than anybody who I know who went to Whiting or Vance. I am now at Whiting for Advanced and I miss Corpus. It just seemed that there was more to do there.

Raptor2216

Yea I would def recommend going to Corpus over whiting if given the choice. I also wouldn't worry too much about how long it takes. You are getting paid to fly so just suck it up if you are there for another couple of months. The only thing you are responsible for is studying...nothing to complain about if you ask me. Corpus definately has a lot more to do and you can live right by the beach for dirt cheap. I know it might be a pain to move but hey, its not like you don't get paid for it. I've also heard they might be keeping guys on base if you go to whiting but I don't think corpus has any such plans.

Boomer for life..........................................................................................NOT!

kejo

pilot
There is plenty to say on this subject in other threads....but I had a good time going through Whiting, PCola is fine if you are hanging out with good people and not a bunch of dbags

My first post-Friday I-Bar post, more to come

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
In Corpus you can live on the beach, 12 minutes from the main gate, and a reasonable taxi ride from the bars. Flow is too hard to predict to base your decision on that. As you get older, moves get much more painful - take advantage of the change of scenery while you're still young enough to enjoy it.

tiger84

LT
pilot
Corpus is decent. The traffic is better than Pensacola since the roads usually have more than two lanes, although the drivers still suck. The bars and women were better in Pensacola, but Whiting's still a bit of a drive from the good stuff. Pensacola beaches are much better, but it's cheaper to live on the beach in Corpus. All things considered, I'm glad I came to Corpus because I wanted to see something new, but you'll be good either way. Getting paid to fly is the greatest job in the world, so living in a less than ideal place isn't too hard to handle.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
While I don't ever want to live in Pensacola again, and I'd only consider Corpus if I get an instructor job there, I don't really like either location that well. I will say that Corpus seems to have more to offer, like people have said, and it's close to some cool towns (San Antonio, Austin, etc) which are fun. I was happy to leave both places, honestly.

onedge

pilot
I HATED Corpus. I was there for primary and would do a lot to keep from having to go back to Texas. I didn't like the people, I didn't like the 'Texas Mentality', the beach is DISGUSTING, and the bars are no better than than the ones in Pensacola. For those getting up for primary, do yourself a favor and go to Whiting.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
While I don't ever want to live in Pensacola again, and I'd only consider Corpus if I get an instructor job there, I don't really like either location that well. I will say that Corpus seems to have more to offer, like people have said, and it's close to some cool towns (San Antonio, Austin, etc) which are fun. I was happy to leave both places, honestly.

I HATED Corpus. I was there for primary and would do a lot to keep from having to go back to Texas. I didn't like the people, I didn't like the 'Texas Mentality', the beach is DISGUSTING, and the bars are no better than than the ones in Pensacola. For those getting up for primary, do yourself a favor and go to Whiting.

There you go. These two posts pretty much some it up. If you don't have a choice, don't worry about it. If you're given a choice, it's not really going to matter what other people think. Do it based on what you want (time to train, moving/not moving, etc). When I went through, I didn't have anything on paper, but had a verbal from the detailer. I "needed" to stay in Pensacola because I was so far behind my contemporaries and didn't want to waste time moving twice (once to Corpus, once back to Whiting, as I wanted helos from the beginning).

That said, things change. 6 months ago, Whiting was light years ahead of Corpus on production. Now w/ the weather, planes, and mishap, Whiting is way behind.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard that the instructors in Corpus are assholes! You're much better off going to Whiting with the easy squadrons (2 and 6) or of course the USAF's VT-3.

Otherwise I agree with gatordev, and will say that different people have different impressions. Being an E2/C2 student, I did time at Whiting, Corpus, and Kingsville. Whiting memories include a long drive to work (lived in Governor's Gate), nothing to do around work (Milton), a somewhat long drive to a beach with no waves, and a bunch of rednecks. Corpus memories include camping trips to Austin/Lake Travis, driving on the weekends to San Antonio, and the fore-mentioned crappy beaches. Kingsville memories include... driving to Corpus.

Whatever ends up being your temporary destination, you will look back and think: "wow, flight school locations sucked. Why can't we be stationed in San Diego or Arizona?" Or you'll end up with HM-15.

Rg9

pilot
What are the pro's and con's of each Primary site?
I lived in both. Pensacola is a lot nicer of a place, but the people are dumb. Corpus sucks as a city, but the people are nice. In Corpus, you can live close to everything. At Whiting, you either live close to base, or close to ... uh... anything, but not both.

Most married guys go to Whiting. It is definitely a different environment. I liked it better, personally.

Some of the flying is different. At Whiting, you are usually only with ATC when departing/recovering, and learn to trust "see and avoid". You also get to have fun with split-field ops (something Corpus guys get confused with: using the SAME runway for takeoffs and landings simultaneously). Corpus is a lot more ATC dominated. It seemed like the Whiting training was better, but I guess I'm just biased.

For some reason, it seems more guys get jets out of Corpus. I don't know the numbers, but it just seems that way.

Does Corpus or Whiting go faster?
Currently, Whiting. Twice as fast for some people.

Are there more things to do in Corpus?
No.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Big picture, it doesnt matter... I didn't like P'Cola and that area, and really enjoyed Corpus. Other people had opposite opinions. If you enjoy the P'Cola area when you are down there then consider staying- if you hate it, put Corpus down.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Really, you should only be sober when studying for flying or flying. Every other time, you should be drunk. When drunk, everything is okay. Case in point, I did primary and intermediate in Corpus (VT-27/31) then advanced in Pensacola (VT-4). I thought both were decent at the time. I've since been back to Corpus and now live in Pensacola. Both suck balls now that I'm a family man and sober most of the time. Back then, had plenty of friends and plenty of booze. No more friends, don't drink hardly as much, this place sucks :(