• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiskey sundown

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Impacts also ripple past the air plan because the ships plan probably says something like "fly everyone on in 6hrs, then sea and anchor, then pierside for onload, then off to sea." But then 6hrs expands and everyone's plans collapses and now everyone is making it up as they go along.

It’s almost like you should just give an entire day or three to fly and onload an organization the size of CVW and about 5 times more dynamic.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Solution? Wait for the wheels. You cant move the aircraft off the spot without the wheels. You can always find the aircrew and send them flying for the rest of the fly on or send them back to the beach and catch them last.

That said, you're not really "fouling the deck" per se. You can still catch other helos on the remaining open spots. But now your air plan that depended on 6 spots is shot and having a skid stuck on spot 2 and or 4 can make it hard/impossible to bone the V-22s. Sometimes you can pull past but then boning the v-22s takes a lot more time and continues to have ripple effects on your air plan. Generally you make a mess of the bow to keep the other spots open and to do as much as you can. Eventually the wheels will show up or be found and then you spend a lot of time sorting out the mess up front.

Impacts also ripple past the air plan because the ships plan probably says something like "fly everyone on in 6hrs, then sea and anchor, then pierside for onload, then off to sea." But then 6hrs expands and everyone's plans collapses and now everyone is making it up as they go along.
I remember having a fly-on meeting with the ACE OPSO. They had a complex spreadsheet and asked when the harriers could come aboard. I said “that ten minute gap is plenty.” He said “no way in hell can you land six jets, shut down, and get parked in ten minutes”. I said “we can taxi, and it will be more like five minutes”

Pags

N/A
pilot
It’s almost like you should just give an entire day or three to fly and onload an organization the size of CVW and about 5 times more dynamic.
You'd think so but then everyone involved talks themselves out of it because this time we'll do it right and not like those other idiots last time.

And even if HMLA does bring the wheels something else will happen that the group convinced ourselves wouldn't happen this time.

But agreed, that everyone should make more time but I doubt they ever will.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am guessing the Zulu uses the same wheels as the Yankee. How hard is it to fly aboard wheels in the back of a Yankee? The Army Aviation Heritage Foundation flies around Cobras and Hueys and we always have wheels. If a bunch of old volunteer Vietnam era aviators can make it happen how is it active duty Marines with dozens in support can't make it happen? We don't blame the event we fly into for not having wheels, why blame the ship for a det not having wheels?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Not hard at all. That's what's supposed to happen, usually.

It's just that people get boneheaded and someone loses the bubble after the airplan changed, and the mixed sections became Z sections, and no one told LCpl Schmucketti to bring them, yadda, yadda.

No excuse, really.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not hard at all. That's what's supposed to happen, usually.

It's just that people get boneheaded and someone loses the bubble after the airplan changed, and the mixed sections became Z sections, and no one told LCpl Schmucketti to bring them, yadda, yadda.

No excuse, really.
By time LCpl Schmucketti musters out and volunteers for AAHF I am sure you will have trained him for us.

RoarkJr.

Consensus among whom? SNAs?
I don’t remember who it was, either wing commandant or the DCA himself, literally said “H-1 does not have a future.” Consensus may have been the wrong word.

Just because one might be an SNA does not mean they are rumor monkey 22 year olds fresh out of college, either. Research and networking can find reasonably accurate answers to these sorts of things.

FVL is inevitable, but as was previously mentioned, it’s probably going to be a while.