• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiskey sundown

Hair Warrior

Contributor
darn, I thought this thread was about something else

whiskey-sunset-dramatic-sky-mountain-landscape-background-150896185.jpg

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Cut my teeth in that aircraft. Sad to see the wop wop go away. Fortunately the Z has finally overcome some of the production and development issues that plague the upgrades in the last decade.

Pags

N/A
pilot
To be true to form I hope after they shutdown for the last time they spent several hours looking for the wheels all the time swearing they came on the first lift.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
To be true to form I hope after they shutdown for the last time they spent several hours looking for the wheels all the time swearing they came on the first lift.

Tell us how you really feel... It would be interesting to know if they blew out a starter on the way to DM. The mech start by battery on the bird was tough but worn down quickly. Especially in hot environments.

I’d be curious to see how much red time the Whiskey flew versus its total flight time for the entire fleet. There was a period there for around 14 years where a skid squadron (some cases 2-3) was always in a combat zone.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Tell us how you really feel... It would be interesting to know if they blew out a starter on the way to DM. The mech start by battery on the bird was tough but worn down quickly. Especially in hot environments.

I’d be curious to see how much red time the Whiskey flew versus its total flight time for the entire fleet. There was a period there for around 14 years where a skid squadron (some cases 2-3) was always in a combat zone.
I feel that skids on a shipboard helicopter are awful because of the number of issues I had with wheels not showing up, the studs breaking off, the wheels getting stuck on, and the wear and tear on the non skid.

But that said it was still an awesome airplane that has done yeoman service to the Fleet and the Marines on the ground.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Actually got a couple hours seat time in a T model (Took a nap in one we where hauling to NARF Atsugi) Barely squeaked that bird into the back of a 130.

RoarkJr.

I’ve been hearing a lot about the uncertainty of the future of HMLA. Even with the viper and venom, it seems that (in my admittedly limited experience) the consensus is that they don’t have a future.

Is this true? What’s the plan for the future...an attack variant tiltrotor platform? Skyraider type rotary a la army future vertical lift? Are Marine studs stupid for putting rotary high on selection sheet, especially given that the kilo 53 is a few years out still?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I feel that skids on a shipboard helicopter are awful because of the number of issues I had with wheels not showing up, the studs breaking off, the wheels getting stuck on, and the wear and tear on the non skid.
My whole time in Gator Navy land I've been stuck in the CAOC, because something something no berthing go away stupid reservist. My main interaction with the boat is tapdancing on their behalf in front of the NALE or CCO and wondering why TACC can't answer up chat or CENTRIX, let alone work TBMCS.

So I have to ask out of morbid curiosity. What is the solution here? Is the deck just foul until someone helos on the wheels Lance Corporal Timmy forgot about?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I’ve been hearing a lot about the uncertainty of the future of HMLA. Even with the viper and venom, it seems that (in my admittedly limited experience) the consensus is that they don’t have a future.

Is this true? What’s the plan for the future...an attack variant tiltrotor platform? Skyraider type rotary a la army future vertical lift? Are Marine studs stupid for putting rotary high on selection sheet, especially given that the kilo 53 is a few years out still?

Consensus among whom? SNAs?

Here is the future of the HMLA:

Start on page 78 and go to the chart on 82...

BTW- you get a below in headwork because I've already shared this document once with you. If you want to know what the plan is for Marine Aviation read the document the DC(A) puts out that outlines where Marine Aviation is going.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

BTW- you get a below in headwork because I've already shared this document once with you. If you want to know what the plan is for Marine Aviation read the document the DC(A) puts out that outlines where Marine Aviation is going.

Question: has the Marine Corps Aviation plan of 2019 been overtaken / superseded by the CMC Force Design?

Air Combat Element
• 18 active component fighter attack (VMFA) squadrons, with a reduction in the number of aircraft per squadron to 10
• 14 active component medium tiltrotor (VMM) squadrons (recommended divestment of 3 squadrons)
• 5 active component heavy lift helicopter (HMH) squadrons (recommended divestment of 3 squadrons)
• 5 active component light attack helicopter (HMLA) squadrons (divestment of 2 squadrons)
• 4 active component aerial refueler transport (VMGR) squadrons (increase of one squadron over current force)
• 6 active component unmanned aerial vehicle (VMU) squadrons (increase of three squadrons over current force)

RoarkJr.

I’ve been tracking on the Avplan, we got a brief at TBS from the Deputy Commandant for Aviation about it. More so curious about possible changes and/or to generate discussion. Also bored. Will improve.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Considering any replacement won’t be until the 2030s, I don’t think you have much to worry about. Besides, even if it’s replaced, white going to fly it? Transition pilots from the old community for the most part. Don’t really see the issue there.

The reduction in HMLAs will cause some short term manpower headaches, but they’ll base the number of new skid pilots based on the revised requirement, so that will be transparent to the new peer groups.

Pags

N/A
pilot
So I have to ask out of morbid curiosity. What is the solution here? Is the deck just foul until someone helos on the wheels Lance Corporal Timmy forgot about?
Solution? Wait for the wheels. You cant move the aircraft off the spot without the wheels. You can always find the aircrew and send them flying for the rest of the fly on or send them back to the beach and catch them last.

That said, you're not really "fouling the deck" per se. You can still catch other helos on the remaining open spots. But now your air plan that depended on 6 spots is shot and having a skid stuck on spot 2 and or 4 can make it hard/impossible to bone the V-22s. Sometimes you can pull past but then boning the v-22s takes a lot more time and continues to have ripple effects on your air plan. Generally you make a mess of the bow to keep the other spots open and to do as much as you can. Eventually the wheels will show up or be found and then you spend a lot of time sorting out the mess up front.

Impacts also ripple past the air plan because the ships plan probably says something like "fly everyone on in 6hrs, then sea and anchor, then pierside for onload, then off to sea." But then 6hrs expands and everyone's plans collapses and now everyone is making it up as they go along.