• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whidbey Island

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone in Coupeville will link the landslide to the jet noise at the OLF. :rolleyes:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone smack the stupid news helo pilot that decided it was a good idea to hover right outside the initial to Rwy 32 . . .

Flugelman

Contributor
Someone smack the stupid news helo pilot that decided it was a good idea to hover right outside the initial to Rwy 32 . . .

Is the OLF still used? Google Maps shows big yellow X's on the runway.

On my private checkride Wes Lupien pulled power right over the OLF. When I started to set up for a crosswind emergency landing he says "No, no. Land ACROSS the wide concrete and into the grass, into the wind." And proceeded to do a T&G across the runway. It was a crappy day with low ceilings and strong winds.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's absolutely in use; I bounced there two days ago. We brief to bring all EPs back to Whidbey unless you're no-kidding about to blow up, because NUW is minutes away and a much safer field to land at, especially if you need gear. The runway itself is closed, but we bounce there on a regular basis.

A T&G across KNRA's runway? That's on the short list of the most idiotic headwork I've ever heard or read about.

Flugelman

Contributor
It's absolutely in use; I bounced there two days ago. We brief to bring all EPs back to Whidbey unless you're no-kidding about to blow up, because NUW is minutes away and a much safer field to land at, especially if you need gear. The runway itself is closed, but we bounce there on a regular basis.

A T&G across KNRA's runway? That's on the short list of the most idiotic headwork I've ever heard or read about.

Not really. Wind was gusting around 20 IIRC, it was in a Piper Colt with a very low Vs, and was a total power loss scenario. We touched on the edge of the concrete and were airborne before reaching the other side. Had it been an actual power loss it would have been a lot safer in those conditions. It taught me to think outside of the box.

BTW, I know about NUW being minutes away. I encountered A6s transiting more than once when in the pattern at what was then Oak Harbor Airport. (Now Wes Lupien Field.):eek:

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not really. Wind was gusting around 20 IIRC, it was in a Piper Colt with a very low Vs, and was a total power loss scenario. We touched on the edge of the concrete and were airborne before reaching the other side. Had it been an actual power loss it would have been a lot safer in those conditions. It taught me to think outside of the box.

BTW, I know about NUW being minutes away. I encountered A6s transiting more than once when in the pattern at what was then Oak Harbor Airport. (Now Wes Lupien Field.):eek:
I wasn't there, but I'll agree to disagree. Maybe I've got too much time in heavier metal instead of stuff that will hover in the right wind. I get where the idea comes from, but given how narrow KNRA is, I'd either go down the runway, put it in a nearby farmer's field, or in the sound close to shore and swim. Going crossways, too many variables. Misjudge your point of intended landing or float it, and you're either in the pine trees or running into Mom and the kids on Highway 20. You're not done at the waveoff; you're done when the airplane stops moving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk H

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's not closed when it's in use (I.E. manned). The X is there to keep the GA yahoos at bay.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
It's not closed when it's in use (I.E. manned). The X is there to keep the GA yahoos at bay.

I only ask because I have recently been drawn into a lengthy discussion on "closed field operations". The latest 3710 attempts to distinguish between "closed field=no tower/crash crew manned" and "closed field=big painted X's on the runway with weeds growing in the cracks".

There's a huge difference depending on how that's interpreted.

Bottom line the way it's written is: no tower/crash crew can be done at the discretion of the Base CO and custodian of the aircraft (squadron commander).

No shit closed field (big X's painted on the runway) operations are only allowed in an emergency.

Not sure where this one falls. I imagine if the big flashing X's are rolled out to keep the yahoos away, it's the first one.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When it's manned for FCLPs, there's a crash crew and other "tower-like" folks, but ultimately, the LSO serves that SOF purpose.