• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

GroundPounder

I like the Omega look, but I don't think I'd like a manual watch. And the Omega reduced is smaller. I've got 7.5" wrists and think a 38mm case would look goofy on my wrist. Although, admittedly, I haven't actually tried on a watch that small to confirm.

Contacted Bremont just to see what kind of price a platform specific watch would cost. I was told "a little under $3k". I don't care about the watch being ejection seat certified of whatever their advertising says, but for a price lower than the Speedmaster (which I'm not completely sure I'd like anyway) but higher than De Pol, I can get an automatic, cosc spec, interesting watch. So, maybe I'll save up and see how I feel when I finically finish in Kingsville.

Just making sure, but you do realize that an automatic watch is one that is wound by the movement of the wearers wrist. An Omega would fall into that category, it's not a watch that you would have to wind with the stem. In any event, I'd suggest comparing whatever your choices are side by side, in person if possible. Like Sevenhelmet said, the style of the watch might be more important than the size.

( yes, I know, " that's what she said. " )

hooflys

pilot
Contributor
Am I weird for thinking you guys are weird for knowing your wrist girth? Whatever (I'm obviously going to measure as soon as I finish this little missive).

Tried on the Bremont MBIII a few months ago and it is a great watch and perhaps offers more utility than the Speedy (GMT is key). As others have suggested, find a dealer and try on everything you're interested in. Once on your wrist, what you thought you liked you may not like at all, while others you were less keen on might pique your interest. Enjoy the hunt.

D

Deleted member 24525

Am I weird for thinking you guys are weird for knowing your wrist girth? Whatever (I'm obviously going to measure as soon as I finish this little missive).

Tried on the Bremont MBIII a few months ago and it is a great watch and perhaps offers more utility than the Speedy (GMT is key). As others have suggested, find a dealer and try on everything you're interested in. Once on your wrist, what you thought you liked you may not like at all, while others you were less keen on might pique your interest. Enjoy the hunt.

Yeah...watch larger cases can look obnoxious on smaller wrists, and look womanly on large wrists... so it is pretty imperative to measure, especially if you are going to buy a watch online

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I guess I never thought about the styling of the watches accentuating or hiding the size. Next time I'm in a real city, I will definitely drop by a boutique to see some options in person.

I recommend the Omega Boutique in La Cantera mall, San Antonio. Those guys treated me amazingly well last time I was in town. Plus, it gets you out of K-ville for a bit. :)

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Just making sure, but you do realize that an automatic watch is one that is wound by the movement of the wearers wrist. An Omega would fall into that category, it's not a watch that you would have to wind with the stem. In any event, I'd suggest comparing whatever your choices are side by side, in person if possible. Like Sevenhelmet said, the style of the watch might be more important than the size.

( yes, I know, " that's what she said. " )
Speedmasters are hand wound

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I recommend the Omega Boutique in La Cantera mall, San Antonio. Those guys treated me amazingly well last time I was in town. Plus, it gets you out of K-ville for a bit. :)
The OB in Chicago ain't too bad either.

I was surprised that they actually allowed me inside...and they didn't say jack shit [to my face] about my bad hair...YAY! :D

IMG_5124.JPG IMG_5138.JPG

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was surprised that they actually allowed me inside...and they didn't say jack shit [to my face] about my bad hair...YAY!

The first time I went into the Jax Omega store, I had some khaki shorts, a faded t-shirt, and probably some worn shoes. Going through the door, the security guard gave me the once over and kept watching. As I moved to the back of the store, I could tell the perfectly attired salesmen weren't too interested in helping me. At the back of the store, I was finally connected with the person that would help me with my watch service. Once we sat down and I gave him my X-33 (and it was confirmed to be real), apparently we were deemed worthy and were given great service and treatment.

I always chuckle thinking about what was running through their minds, and how many local 'necks come into their store wanting to "look at the shiny watches."

GroundPounder

The first time I went into the Jax Omega store, I had some khaki shorts, a faded t-shirt, and probably some worn shoes. Going through the door, the security guard gave me the once over and kept watching. As I moved to the back of the store, I could tell the perfectly attired salesmen weren't too interested in helping me. At the back of the store, I was finally connected with the person that would help me with my watch service. Once we sat down and I gave him my X-33 (and it was confirmed to be real), apparently we were deemed worthy and were given great service and treatment.

I always chuckle thinking about what was running through their minds, and how many local 'necks come into their store wanting to "look at the shiny watches."

I think retailers ignore people based on outward appearance to their determent. Years ago, while staying on Anastasia Island, it was forcast to rain all day. We jumped in the car and drove over to Brumos Porsche to look around, mainly to get out of the condo and do something other than go to outlet malls. My wife and I are dressed in shorts and t shirts, with a 8 year old in tow. Walk in and are greeted by a salesman, who I explain that we are just there using their showroom as entertainment. He offered to show us anything that we wanted, and answered the rapid fire questions from my gear head son. We look around for 30 minutes or so, and go about our way. Fast forward 1 year and I purchase my Porsche from Brumos, and that salesman. The closest dealership to my house is about an hour east of me, and I drove 4 hours South to get to Brumos.

He sold me a car a year before I bought it.....