• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
In honor of Speedy Tuesday - for my AW brethren...

My Speedy is on a genuine Omega NATO strap - which is amazing in the quality of the soft nylon and nickel plated buckles....

Also with "anti Dunkin" drink and Navy HGU-4/P sunglasses

IMG_0217.JPG

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
Ordered a Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic today. I'm not sure how invested I'll get in watches, but that particular one struck me and was cheap, as far as "real" watches go. If I like it, then I have a good starter watch and if I don't, then I didn't waste a bunch of money on something I won't care about a year from now.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Ordered a Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic today. I'm not sure how invested I'll get in watches, but that particular one struck me and was cheap, as far as "real" watches go. If I like it, then I have a good starter watch and if I don't, then I didn't waste a bunch of money on something I won't care about a year from now.

Great choice :)

The *most* important thing is to have it to look back on later in life and remember where you were with that watch. And then hopefully pass it on to someone and relive the experience. Doesn't matter if it's a Speedy, a Seiko, Hamilton, or a G-Shock.

"I made my first trap with this on my wrist..." - envision your future self handing that to a son or daughter when you are in your 60's.

Surf

pilot
Great choice :)

The *most* important thing is to have it to look back on later in life and remember where you were with that watch. And then hopefully pass it on to someone and relive the experience. Doesn't matter if it's a Speedy, a Seiko, Hamilton, or a G-Shock.

"I made my first trap with this on my wrist..." - envision your future self handing that to a son or daughter when you are in your 60's.

It is funny you mention that. I have wanted a Breitling ever since I was a kid, so I got this for myself as a winging present. One of the driving factors in actually buying it was for that reason, I wanted to pass it on to my son when it was his time. I don't think there is anything more rewarding than that when it comes to a watch. Side note, this thread is not great for my check book. I've already bookmarked the next two purchases.IMG_1849.JPG

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
In honor of Speedy Tuesday - for my AW brethren...

My Speedy is on a genuine Omega NATO strap - which is amazing in the quality of the soft nylon and nickel plated buckles....

Also with "anti Dunkin" drink and Navy HGU-4/P sunglasses

View attachment 17256
Starbucks?

Really?

Put yourself on report, candidate.

IMG_7134.jpg

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
...The *most* important thing is to have it to look back on later in life and remember where you were with that watch. And then hopefully pass it on to someone and relive the experience. Doesn't matter if it's a Speedy, a Seiko, Hamilton, or a G-Shock.

Spot on, Chuck...I hope to pass on my beloved Seiko 6309-7049 automatic that I purchased new at the NAS Whiting Field NEX in 1987 while an SNA in VT-2. It was my first dedicated "flying watch" and I continued to fly with it in the fleet [as well as patrolled with it while a Cincinnati Police Officer]...and I continue to fly with it at the airlines today. If I could only have one watch, my beloved 6309-7049 automatic would be the one.

IMG_6899.JPG IMG_1860.JPG IMG_3741.jpg IMG_7568.JPG IMG_2378.JPG IMG_4784.JPG IMG_4792.JPG

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
Spot on, Chuck...I hope to pass on my beloved Seiko 6309-7049 automatic that I purchased new at the NAS Whiting Field NEX in 1987 while an SNA in VT-2. It was my first dedicated "flying watch" and I continued to fly with it in the fleet [as well as patrolled with it while a Cincinnati Police Officer]...and I continue to fly with it at the airlines today. If I could only have one watch, my beloved 6309-7049 automatic would be the one.

View attachment 17262 View attachment 17265 View attachment 17261 View attachment 17264 View attachment 17263 View attachment 17268 View attachment 17269
Good stuff. It doesn't have to be a super high end watch to be important to you or to your loved ones. I'd like to imagine that my kids would be more interested in the history of my stuff then a brand name. Any jackass can own a Rolex but not everyone can have the watch your old man wore every day during his formative years.

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
Another watch question. What watch do you really fly in? A plastic digital g-shock? Your Speedmaster? Some other "designated flying watch" (if so, what?) or just whatever you happen to be wearing that day is what goes into the plane with you?

peteg88

Good stuff. It doesn't have to be a super high end watch to be important to you or to your loved ones. I'd like to imagine that my kids would be more interested in the history of my stuff then a brand name. Any jackass can own a Rolex but not everyone can have the watch your old man wore every day during his formative years.

second that. My grandad's watch are very much treasured by my father and me, hope when I pass them on to my children they will feel respect for them like we do. Price and brand are irrelevant if you cherish some memories and experience connected with it. I remember stumbling upon an awesome thread about watch collection https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=345242&highlight=watches+years it's really worth a read. I like how the story unfolds, it's almost like a movie (and a really good one)

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
...My grandad's watch are very much treasured by my father and me, hope when I pass them on to my children they will feel respect for them like we do. Price and brand are irrelevant if you cherish some memories and experience connected with it.
Absolutely! I inherited my Dad's watches when he passed away in 1996 and I hope to pass them on to our children one day.

Today is Waltham Wednesday...so I like to wear my Dad's Waltham Ruby wristwatch [c. 1928] as well as my Waltham Vanguard railroad standard pocket watch [c. 1929]. Pictured below from today is my Dad's Ruby being converted from its protected flying config to its normal config...

IMG_7136.JPG IMG_7137.JPG IMG_7145.JPGIMG_7149.JPG

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Another watch question. What watch do you really fly in? A plastic digital g-shock? Your Speedmaster? Some other "designated flying watch" (if so, what?) or just whatever you happen to be wearing that day is what goes into the plane with you?

I typically wear my X-33, whether it's the rigors of office work or the simian-like activity of pre-flighting an aircraft (which I generally will go fly in). If I was on the boat, it was my G-shock at all times. It seems like I'm always banging my watch into the various protrusions that line a p-way.

The G-Shock is also my regular watch when doing yard work, shooting, and of course swimming.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

View attachment 17262 View attachment 17265 View attachment 17261 View attachment 17264 View attachment 17263 View attachment 17268 View attachment 17269
Say @mad dog, not sure if you are aware, but there is a BB following you in that fleet photo. Be careful.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I flew in my Hamilton all the time. I figured it was appropriate to have some dings and scratches from the helo and boat on a pilot watch.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
fallout_pipboy_3000_prop_by_urlag-d7277x8.jpg

Pip Boy 3000. Because every watch needs a built-in Geiger counter.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Say @mad dog, not sure if you are aware, but there is a BB following you in that fleet photo. Be careful.
That's a battleship? Who knew? ;)

I really dig those big guns...it's like a floating "Yosemite Sam".

Speaking of "Yosemite Sam"...I do the "Yosemite Sam" with vintage railroad grade pocket watches...and holsters. :D

IMG_0095.JPG IMG_0149.JPG IMG_3624.JPG IMG_3676.JPG