• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
I know I've been blowing this thread up lately, and I apologize for that.

Does anyone know about military pricing for Bremont platform watches? I know there is a pretty big discount if your squadrons finds the 15-20 guys needed to make a custom watch face, but does that apply to the military platform watches too? So if I get F18s out of KVille and order the F18 Bremont, will it be normal MB3 MSRP, or do they price it closer to a squadron buy? I know they are picky about prices being thrown out, so if you bought a Bremont watch, outside of a squadron buy, could you shoot me a PM with the price you paid and how long you waited?

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Technique only, but I would wait until your squadron does/does not do a custom watch buy.

The previous squadron but watches are on the Bremont website and you could order one once you get to your fleet squadron or if they're doing a watch buy then get in on that.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I would also recommend waiting. Save your money until you're at least in your first fleet squadron. By then, you might have a much better idea of what you want both in terms of style and customization.

hooflys

pilot
Contributor
Tried on the Speedy Pro (manual) and Speedy Pro Moonphase last week. Both really nice and surprisingly light on the wrist (they were on leather bands). Dig the look on a NATO strap. @mad dog and @ChuckMK23, I just looked at Omegas website and they now have a variant celebrating SpeedyTuesday for sale; looks pretty good, though tough to beat the original.

@Rugby_Guy GMT Master in general, X-33 in plane/helo (the Julian date/UTC page is handy), G-Shock otherwise...

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Tried on the Speedy Pro (manual) and Speedy Pro Moonphase last week. Both really nice and surprisingly light on the wrist (they were on leather bands). Dig the look on a NATO strap. @mad dog and @ChuckMK23, I just looked at Omegas website and they now have a variant celebrating SpeedyTuesday for sale; looks pretty good, though tough to beat the original.
Affirm...very light on the wrist with the leather band. I purchased my Speedy Pro (manual) with the leather band and really dig it.

IMG_3295.JPG IMG_3298.JPG IMG_2937.JPG IMG_2933.JPG

Also, the SpeedyTuesday LE is going nuts...individuals are selling their SpeedyTuesday LE slots for big money...I'll stick with the standard issue Speedy Pro.

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
You used to be able to get big discounts on Omegad through the NEX/AAFES website. Not sure if that's still a thing but they used to sell speed masters for much less than retail.

sevenhelmet

pilot
You used to be able to get big discounts on Omegad through the NEX/AAFES website. Not sure if that's still a thing but they used to sell speed masters for much less than retail.

I don't think so. There are other ways to get one for less than MSRP though.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
...There are other ways to get one for less than MSRP though.
For sure! @ChuckMK23 purchased his Speedy Pro [manual wind/metal bracelet/hesalite crystal] from an Omega Authorized Dealer named Chitown Watch for around $3,600 - $3,700...new-in-presentation box [including all accessories] with a full Omega warranty. That's the lowest price for a new Speedy Pro from an Omega AD that I've ever seen.

ChuckMK23 the day he received his Speedy Pro following the unboxing...

IMG_4050.JPG

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
I don't think so. There are other ways to get one for less than MSRP though.
Since I don't have NEX/AAFES privileges anymore I can't login and see the AAFES price, but here's the link for those who can:
https://www.shopmyexchange.com/omega-men-s-speedmaster-moon-watch-31130423001005/7452865

Other Omegas available as well:
https://www.shopmyexchange.com/browse/jewelry-watches/watches/_/N-4294874172+104733

Looks like they also have Hamiltons, Bell and Ross, and a few other higher end watches in their brand listing.

Not sure if it's the "best deal" out there but a good data point if you're looking to haggle with someone.

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
I like the Omega look, but I don't think I'd like a manual watch. And the Omega reduced is smaller. I've got 7.5" wrists and think a 38mm case would look goofy on my wrist. Although, admittedly, I haven't actually tried on a watch that small to confirm.

Contacted Bremont just to see what kind of price a platform specific watch would cost. I was told "a little under $3k". I don't care about the watch being ejection seat certified of whatever their advertising says, but for a price lower than the Speedmaster (which I'm not completely sure I'd like anyway) but higher than De Pol, I can get an automatic, cosc spec, interesting watch. So, maybe I'll save up and see how I feel when I finically finish in Kingsville.

13126803_218758488506285_1588702217_n.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you were to get that specific F-18C watch, would it just sit at the watch shop, taken completely apart, all while the watch shop complains it needs more employees in order to fix the watch faster? Or so I've heard.

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
Maybe I'll order a bunch and tell the jeweler to pull the second hand off this one and the date wheel off that to fix a third.

Then ask if we'll have the watches up for a 3 turn 3 turn 3 the next morning.

sevenhelmet

pilot
Personally, the manual wind on the Speedy is part of its charm. I take my watch off at night, so it's easy to remember to wind when I put it on each morning. Even if I forget, it runs for well over 48 hours on a full wind. For me, it just adds to the overall classic and robust feeling of the watch, to the point that I actually enjoy winding it up when I put it on.

I like the Omega look, but I don't think I'd like a manual watch. And the Omega reduced is smaller. I've got 7.5" wrists and think a 38mm case would look goofy on my wrist. Although, admittedly, I haven't actually tried on a watch that small to confirm.

Some watches appear smaller or larger based on design. I have 7" wrists, and a 38mm Hamilton Khaki looks fine, but other watches might not. 40-42mm seems to be the "sweet spot" for me, although I have watches up to 45mm. If I were you, I would walk into an Omega boutique and try a bunch of them on, including the Speedy Moonwatch and Reduced. Of note, much of the newer Speedmaster line has a coaxial automatic movement, and they are 42-45mm in size. There is also the automatic Speedmaster racing chronograph, which is 40mm and has a date display.

However, none of them compare with the original, IMHO.

Contacted Bremont just to see what kind of price a platform specific watch would cost. I was told "a little under $3k". I don't care about the watch being ejection seat certified of whatever their advertising says, but for a price lower than the Speedmaster (which I'm not completely sure I'd like anyway) but higher than De Pol, I can get an automatic, cosc spec, interesting watch. So, maybe I'll save up and see how I feel when I finally finish in Kingsville.

How is that going, by the way? I'm not snarking, I'm genuinely interested. We can take it to PM if you're more comfortable with that.

If you were to get that specific F-18C watch, would it just sit at the watch shop, taken completely apart, all while the watch shop complains it needs more employees in order to fix the watch faster? Or so I've heard.

I'm sensing a story here...

Last edited:

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
Some watches appear smaller or larger based on design. I have 7" wrists, and a 38mm Hamilton Khaki looks fine, but other watches might not. 40-42mm seems to be the "sweet spot" for me, although I have watches up to 45mm. If I were you, I would walk into an Omega boutique and try a bunch of them on, including the Speedy Moonwatch and Reduced. Of note, much of the newer Speedmaster line has a coaxial automatic movement, and they are 42-45mm in size. There is also the automatic Speedmaster racing chronograph, which is 40mm and has a date display.

I guess I never thought about the styling of the watches accentuating or hiding the size. Next time I'm in a real city, I will definitely drop by a boutique to see some options in person.

How is that going, by the way? I'm not snarking, I'm genuinely interested. We can take it to PM if you're more comfortable with that.

Without getting too deep into my sob story, from selecting in primary to sorting ground school in kingsville was 5 months. They were backed up and holding guys in the pool for a while to clear up some space. Then, this OBOGS stuff happened and as of this morning, I haven't flown in 132 days. They are finally starting to push some guys through, we had our first student fly on OBOGS Friday, but no one has completed an advancing X since the spring. So, we are ramping up to production now, but its been a long road with a lot more time in Kingsville than I had planned for.