• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
If you were to find one in decent shape, what would be a reasonable price? I'm getting ready to start looking, and you never can tell what are " real " prices when you see them listed.
That’s a very good question. I received it as a gift from a fellow watch collector…he felt sorry for me because I wasn’t issued a watch during my time in the USN. Although I’ll never sell it due to sentimental value [it’s my only mil watch and my only Breitling], I was curious regarding its worth so I did some Googling a few years ago. From what I saw on eBay, asking prices ranged from about $500 to $1,500 from what I remember…which is a pretty big range. I don’t know what the sold prices were. The watch is abundant from what I understand…boat loads were made…but I have not delved into the military watch collector community which is basically another rabbit hole within the much larger general watch collector community rabbit hole.

GroundPounder

That’s a very good question. I received it as a gift from a fellow watch collector…he felt sorry for me because I wasn’t issued a watch during my time in the USN. Although I’ll never sell it due to sentimental value [it’s my only mil watch and my only Breitling], I was curious regarding its worth so I did some Googling a few years ago. From what I saw on eBay, asking prices ranged from about $500 to $1,500 from what I remember…which is a pretty big range. I don’t know what the sold prices were. The watch is abundant from what I understand…boat loads were made…but I have not delved into the military watch collector community which is basically another rabbit hole within the much larger general watch collector community rabbit hole.
Thanks for your knowledge.

I would like to think that they would be hard to find, as anyone who had a family member would want it to stay in the family and be passed down. I like pocket watches, and have a few that were owned by relatives, to me, they have a monetary value of $0. I would eat tree bark and drink swamp water before one was sold.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
After two or so years of looking for a perfect "companion watch" to my beloved Speedmaster, I finally found it! Took delivery of a Japan-market-only SEIKO SPB317J1 Heritage Turtle 1968 Re-Issue Automatic 200M Diver Watch. It really checks all the boxes for me. My requirments going in on my search were fairly straight forward:

- Waterproof down to 200M
-20 mm lug width for strap compatibility with my Speedy!
- Automatic mechanical movment
- "Not huge"
-Under $3,000

I looked at a number of options (all more expensive) and finally settled on this "Japan only" Seiko - and boy is it a home run. $850 delivered from Japan retailer. Love the look and how it wears on the wrist. Beautiful construction, solid, and a pleasure to look at. Highly recommended.

1694536458644.png

1694536477130.png

1694536490632.png
1694536517188.png

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Revisiting the servicing question again since my X-33, in the course of a day, now loses minutes by the minute on the movement...

The last time I had it serviced, the San Diego store sent to Seatle, but since it's closer, it seems like Miami would be better this time. Anyone have any reason not to send it to them? This is also the first time I'll be sending it myself since my local boutique closed, so I'm guessing I enclose a letter with the problems and then they reach back out to "bill" me? Yes, I'll mention it's a military watch, but that doesn't always get understood.

I'm a little disappointed about how fast the movement died on me this time. Ironically, the timekeeping component seems to be the most accurate it's ever been.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Revisiting the servicing question again since my X-33, in the course of a day, now loses minutes by the minute on the movement...

The last time I had it serviced, the San Diego store sent to Seatle, but since it's closer, it seems like Miami would be better this time. Anyone have any reason not to send it to them? This is also the first time I'll be sending it myself since my local boutique closed, so I'm guessing I enclose a letter with the problems and then they reach back out to "bill" me? Yes, I'll mention it's a military watch, but that doesn't always get understood.

I'm a little disappointed about how fast the movement died on me this time. Ironically, the timekeeping component seems to be the most accurate it's ever been.

I'd reach out to that Omega boutique directly to see what they recommend.

Alternatively, there are approved watchmakers you can send to, outside of Omega's factory servicing system (which seems to result in all watches going to NJ or someplace). Nesbit's in Seattle is one such business- family owned, and they did a great job fixing my Speedy when I broke it during a PCS a few years ago.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

Alternatively, there are approved watchmakers you can send to, outside of Omega's factory servicing system (which seems to result in all watches going to NJ or someplace). Nesbit's in Seattle is one such business- family owned, and they did a great job fixing my Speedy when I broke it during a PCS a few years ago.
+1 on Nesbit's in Seattle. I received my service quote for my Speedy. Surprisingly reasonable.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Problem with that, if you bought the X-33 through Omega’s military program, the original owner never pays any service fees, forever. I doubt a shop outside of the Omega factory service would honor that deal.

As an aside, last time I had my X-33 serviced Omega replaced everything except the case and glass. The bracelet alone retails for like $600.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dev, the Miami Swatch Group at Blue Lagoon south of MIA has had issues understanding “service” per the group buy agreement vs “cleaning.” (My experience and 2 others). Definitely call first to make sure they understand the details of the contract.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dev, the Miami Swatch Group at Blue Lagoon south of MIA has had issues understanding “service” per the group buy agreement vs “cleaning.” (My experience and 2 others). Definitely call first to make sure they understand the details of the contract.

Copy, thanks. I'll do that. I may just call the SD store and confirm where they send it, too, and just do that. I don't find myself having a need to be in Orlando pretty much ever, except for work at 2 am. Otherwise I'd just drop it off there and let them deal with it.