• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Speedy Thursday! Once again using the old 1861 to time a +50 minute effort on my old Schwinn Sprint fixed gear time trial bike today. Also, wore my old Ohio time trial state championship jersey today since I won the jersey riding my old Schwinn Sprint fixed gear…and the TDF is going on…

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
For all of you watch aficionados out there, I was going through some of my late dad's possessions and in the bottom of the box was this watch. I remember him wearing it when I was a kid. It's kind of beat up and needs a good cleaning, but it still runs. I've determined that it is a Leonidas Triple Calendar Moon Phase watch from the '40's. My dad served with the Coast Guard in WWII and was an enlisted seaman aboard the USS Wakefield, a troop transport in the North Atlantic. I remember him telling me his job was manning twin 50 cal. guns amidships. He passed away in '95 and I wish I'd asked him more questions about his service time. I'm guessing he picked up the watch during his time in the Coast Guard. I do remember him telling me he managed to get an inter-service transfer to the Navy as a Naval Aviation Cadet and was in Naval Flight Preparatory School at St. Olaf College in Northfield , MN when the war ended and he was discharged and sent home.

Pags

N/A
pilot
For all of you watch aficionados out there, I was going through some of my late dad's possessions and in the bottom of the box was this watch. I remember him wearing it when I was a kid. It's kind of beat up and needs a good cleaning, but it still runs. I've determined that it is a Leonidas Triple Calendar Moon Phase watch from the '40's. My dad served with the Coast Guard in WWII and was an enlisted seaman aboard the USS Wakefield, a troop transport in the North Atlantic. I remember him telling me his job was manning twin 50 cal. guns amidships. He passed away in '95 and I wish I'd asked him more questions about his service time. I'm guessing he picked up the watch during his time in the Coast Guard. I do remember him telling me he managed to get an inter-service transfer to the Navy as a Naval Aviation Cadet and was in Naval Flight Preparatory School at St. Olaf College in Northfield , MN when the war ended and he was discharged and sent home.
View attachment 31608
You should get that cleaned and wear it. Very cool.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why do these guys seem so nerdy and uncool. They lack all of the swagger of say Chuck Yeager or Gene Cernan or Alan Shepard.
Because these guys don't have The Right Stuff? I mean really, it may be an E ticket ride, but all you have to do to ride is buy the ticket. I guess that is what they want, space tourism. But of course, none of these guys comes close to being an astronaut regardless of crossing the demarcation for space. I guess being a billionaire alone just doesn't give you "that" swagger. Even the cowboy hat doesn't help these guys.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is a really beautiful time piece. How long did you sit an polish that thing before heading out for the day? Looks flawless.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
That is a really beautiful time piece. How long did you sit an polish that thing before heading out for the day? Looks flawless.
Thanks, wink. I don’t polish it. It’s a chrome plated base metal case, so it appears to be fairly blingy all the time.