• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I'm looking for a G-Shock similar to this one: http://4-watches.stores.yahoo.net/catipasoatwa.html

I've got a skyhawk that's been beaten into submission, and after getting it cleaned up and replacing the crystal, I want to be a little nicer to it, as it is a pretty nice watch. But, I like having one when I fly (did you hack your clock going over the fix stud schmuck? no sir...but I got a watch, so we're alright) and want something thats good sized and with a lot of bells and whistles. Anyone know where you can get good deals on g-shocks?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Okay, for anyone sporting a rolex. Have you worn it in the cockpit? I understand that the sapphire crystal is pretty much can't be scratched, how has the steel held up? Also, when you've sent it in to get maintenance done how long did it take? I'm still debating if I should pick up a cheaper watch for the cockpit or just go with the rolex. I mean, what's the point in having it if it sits on the dresser at home i guess.

rolexgmtii.jpg

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, for anyone sporting a rolex. Have you worn it in the cockpit? I understand that the sapphire crystal is pretty much can't be scratched, how has the steel held up? Also, when you've sent it in to get maintenance done how long did it take? I'm still debating if I should pick up a cheaper watch for the cockpit or just go with the rolex. I mean, what's the point in having it if it sits on the dresser at home i guess.

rolexgmtii.jpg

I've had my Submariner Rolex for about 6 months and I wear it when I fly. I am also of the mind that I don't spend this kind of $$$ on a watch to let it sit on the dresser. I'm going to get my moneys worth out of it. I have 1 scratch on the crystal, but it wasn't from the plane. I'll blame liberty in Valpo, Chile and leave it at that. The steel has some scratches on it but they are not any different than you would see on any other steel watch band. The casing is still unscratched. I haven't needed any maint on it but the jeweler said that it will be 45-60 days when I send it off for the 5 year cleaning/maint.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

rolexgmtii.jpg
I punched w/ one ... still works fine, lasts a long time. Many, many times immersed in H2O, both fresh & salt. Tequila & rum, also. Including Navy & the airlines -- it's gotta be @ 35 +/- years in the cockpit.

I just had the ol' girl in for a factory rehab a couple of years ago -- cost a few bucks .. @ $500, but it's worth it. Just had her "retimed" @ Ben Bridges and she got a clean bill of health. I keep a gold/stainless blue-face Submariner for "dress-up" ... when I wear a dress :) ... use the GMT for "everyday" ...

I'm still tempted to wear the Casio rubber watch (NOT a copy :D) for salt water .... but I have SOME pride left. :)

Like someone said:
"what's the point in having it if it sits on the dresser at home ..."

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
By the way ... the middle aged (a.k.a. experienced) watchmaker at Ben Bridges told me to "wind" the watch @ 40 twists if it ever winds down/stops ... he's the second "old school" watchmaker to suggest that procedure ....

And another "gouge" he gave me for a Rolex mechanical watch .... position the watch stem "up" or "down" when left off your wrist on the dresser overnight. Does your Rolex gain or lose time (should be only seconds) on any given day ... ???

The "gouge"???
Stem down ... slow down.
Stem up ... speed up.

As depicted in this pix --- stem up: ergo, speed up. :)

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
My wife gave me the watch I've always wanted today. A classic.

16610rolex001aspect500sq.jpg

My dad used to have a Casio watch based on this design. He'd be at golf outings and company banquets with the insurance bigwigs, who'd toss a "Submariner, eh?" comment to him. Dad, being the guy he is, would always 'fess up to the heritage.

As for me, I'm happy with the €90 Swatch Irony I bought in Lucerne. It annoys the hell out of me though because it is SO loud. I feel like I can hear it while riding a bus.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Not to long ago I picked up this guy for about $75 bucks. Just wanted a watch that is expendable when I don't think I should be wearing my Omega. This has the Tritium gas tubes and is super bright at night. So far it has been a good watch.

UZIProtectorNylonL.jpg

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Scratches in stainless steel can be buffed out by any competent watch shop for not that much money, so don't lose sleep over it.

Threadjack...you know there are plenty of watches out there that are as good as Rolex for less cash (Omega, Sinn, and IWC come to mind) and they don't have that hideous cyclops over the date. Unless it is important to you to resell it or the name recognition is your thing. Just a thought.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Threadjack...you know there are plenty of watches out there that are as good as Rolex for less cash (Omega, Sinn, and IWC come to mind) and they don't have that hideous cyclops over the date. Unless it is important to you to resell it or the name recognition is your thing. Just a thought.

2nd that thought. That's one of the biggest things I hate about the Rolex's.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor

Well, mine was given to me by my father for commissioning/graduation. He figured since he didn't have to pay a cent for my school he would make it a good present. And, from what I understand, some nice gentleman (I believe my Uncle who was a harrier pilot, now United pilot) suggested that watches are always a good present, especially for someone going into aviation.

And another "gouge" he gave me for a Rolex mechanical watch .... position the watch stem "up" or "down" when left off your wrist on the dresser overnight. Does your Rolex gain or lose time (should be only seconds) on any given day ... ???

The "gouge"???
Stem down ... slow down.
Stem up ... speed up.

As depicted in this pix --- stem up: ergo, speed up. :)

As for the time difference. My watch gains a second a day, I'll have to give that stem down trick a try.

FlyinRock

FWIW to all
I bought my first Rolex in Panama in about 1965- Submariner. Lost it in a crash a couple years later. Bought a used one from a guy who was looking for liberty money and got it cheap. It was OK. Ended up trading it for some cheaper watch plus cash. Got a new Rolex GMT two tone, again in Panama fairly cheap. Had it for a few years and got tired of $150 to tune it up or repair it. Went thru a series of the high dollar watches hoping to find one that was bullet proof. Guess what? I am still looking but now recognize the cheaper quartz is the way to go. If it breaks or gets lost, I'm not paying the mortgage either. I've got a Luminox that does very well for me. Its my 2nd one in ten years and keeps excellent time. In addition, I can read the gas numbers in subdued light much better than with the high dollar ones. I got this watch for about $120 on Ebay and it will tell me what I need to know when I need to know it. I got disenchanted with Rolex over the years with the lack of reliability, high initial cost, and the high cost of maintenance. Now I just refer to them as a Texas Timex. Looks cool for those who care or recognize it but does it tell you better time and ain't that why you wear a watch? The $150 range is where its at for the thinking pilot.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
FWIW to all....blah, blah, blah .... The $150 range is where its at for the thinking pilot.
That must be it: I'm just not thinking!!

To each his/her own. It always cracks me up when guys tell me what I "need" or what I "want" ... whether it's watches, guns, cars, whiskey, computers, houses, vacations, cigars, or women ....

I choose what I get/get what I choose.

That's what I call ... "thinking". :)

:sleep_125