• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Seiko has released their next-gen automatic/mechanical field watch - and it looks great. What a great entry level choice for the ENS/2LT watch guy/gal. This should be an instant classic.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How the heck does "automatic with manual winding capacity work" ? Either it has a battery or the main spring needs to be wound, right? Stupid question from a novice?

OscarMyers

None
How the heck does "automatic with manual winding capacity work" ? Either it has a battery or the main spring needs to be wound, right? Stupid question from a novice?

It still has a main spring, it just has an internal counter weight that winds the spring with wrist motion. Looks like it also has a classic stem for manual winding too. Pretty sure all automatics have a manual winding ability.

BarryD

Contributor
Pretty sure all automatics have a manual winding ability.

Most modern ones do. Some older automatic movements (such as the 7S26 found in the Seiko SKX009/007) only wind based off of wrist movement and have no manual wind capability. Same goes for a lot of vintage Seikos.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK. Automatic as in self winding. Got it. Should have known, I have a 35 year old Seiko 6139. But I didn't know they made self winders with a manual wind. My stem is only for setting. It lives in a watch winder box.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
…Seems Seikos are the red headed step children of the @mad dog watch collection.
I can assure you they are not.

I don’t have any current pics but here’s an old pic of my beloved Seiko 6309-7049 automatic at the office…

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Do they not come out and play? Haven't seen any Seiko Saturdays or Seiko accessorizing Sunday Church attire? Seems Seikos are the red headed step children of the @mad dog watch collection.
OK…my beloved 1986 Seiko 6309-7049 automatic came out and played tonight…I wore it for our weekly Wednesday night Dad Skate Squad club ride…and I timed the ride utilizing the rotatable bezel…1 hour and 34 minutes of skating…

LATE ENTRY: Beloved G&S deck [restored] and Gull Wing Pro trucks from circa 1981-1982...Dad Skate Squad club t-shirt with logo displayed below G&S deck.

ANOTHER LATE ENTRY: Gee whiz…I set the incorrect day…should be Wednesday and not Thursday…attention to detail, candidate.

Last edited:

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Pretty sure all automatics have a manual winding ability.

The advice I received from the guy I had do service on my Fortis while in San Diego was to always wind up a stopped automatic watch with the stem vice just putting it on and letting it wind itself. That apparently loads the mainspring properly and the automatic winding function just keeps it topped up.

I did an unscientific test and my Fortis would run about a half a day longer before stopping if I did it his way.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
ANOTHER LATE ENTRY: Gee whiz…I set the incorrect day…should be Wednesday and not Thursday…attention to detail, candidate.
Yeppers…setting the wrong day [or date] really bugs me…no problem…fixed it…