• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

BarryD

Contributor
@mad dog and @ChuckMK23 have you guys ever thought about/considered the Forstner Komfit bracelet for your MOTFM watch? Interesting look with NASA heritage . . .

Forstner Komfit "JB" Mesh Watch Bracelet with Straight Ends ...

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
@mad dog and @ChuckMK23 have you guys ever thought about/considered the Forstner Komfit bracelet for your MOTFM watch? Interesting look with NASA heritage . . .

Forstner Komfit "JB" Mesh Watch Bracelet with Straight Ends ...
Yeppers...I was considering getting one but the hook that goes around the spring bar encasement impacts the case causing marks on the case. Also, the expanding spring bar encasement is reportedly causing the inside of the lugs to be worn. There are adhesive dots that are included with the bracelet that go over the spring bar holes to prevent this wear, but it’s been reported that they fall off. I commend Forstner for re-releasing these bands...if I wasn’t so OCD about not getting marks on my Moonwatches, I’d be all over it.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
It’s Speedy Tuesday!

Gee dang! Somebody call the fuzz police! Dude has fuzz on his birth year 1964 Ed White...

No worries! Apple Crayon with contrast button mashing to the rescue...

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
It’s still Speedy Tuesday!

Doing a switcheroo to my modern Speedy while taking my fixed gear bike on a spin workout...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My trusty digital G-Shock has been grinding along since 2010 so I'm assuming the battery has to be getting close to giving up the ghost. When it does, I'd like to replace it with a digital-analogue combo watch, as I've found being able to quickly look at the hands at 2am when my brain and eyes aren't fully working a nice function.

The Mudmaster is "neat," but pretty big. I got interested in the Protrek watches, specifically the PRG-600, but that's also about the same size. Then I found this one:

It's a little smaller and has the same functions/layout but unfortunately it's not sold in the US, so the Amazon/online price is a bit higher. I was thinking about putting it on my birthday wish list.

Thoughts?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
My trusty digital G-Shock has been grinding along since 2010 so I'm assuming the battery has to be getting close to giving up the ghost. When it does, I'd like to replace it with a digital-analogue combo watch, as I've found being able to quickly look at the hands at 2am when my brain and eyes aren't fully working a nice function.

The Mudmaster is "neat," but pretty big. I got interested in the Protrek watches, specifically the PRG-600, but that's also about the same size. Then I found this one:

It's a little smaller and has the same functions/layout but unfortunately it's not sold in the US, so the Amazon/online price is a bit higher. I was thinking about putting it on my birthday wish list.

Thoughts?
Its nice - 47.5 MM would be too much for me - but the functionality and design are awesome. Casio and Seiko's best products are often only made for the Japanese domestic market.

An alternative to consider is the Seiko "Digital Tuna".... granted its pure digital, but also might have what you are looking for:

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
You're supposed to take that clear plastic off the back of your watch...
Actually...no. That’s a clear plastic protector that I installed when I purchased the watch about year ago. It protects the already shallow engraving of my 1964 105.003 and keeps it from wearing further.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Thoughts?
I got a Citizen Promaster Skyhawk from my mom and it is a nice watch. I don’t use half the functions, but it seems like a great piece that comes at an affordable price. The Blue Angels symbol on the underside is a bit pretentious but no one can see it!

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Hey @mad dog , have you ever looked at Vortic watches? They're made from old pocket watches.

Yes...I’ve checked into it. I can see how what Vortic does could appeal to many people. For me, there is not much appeal...I’d much rather have my vintage railroad pocket watches as close as possible regarding how they came from the factory.

BarryD

Contributor

Thoughts?
Friend of mine swears by his PROTREK (different reference).

In addition to the Seiko Digital Tuna @ChuckMK23 mentioned, might be worth looking at the Seiko "Arnie", although the digital display on it is pretty small. There's also a few good grey market deals on Alpina Ana-Digi watches, but I have no idea how durable they are.

I'm guessing it's gonna be hard to beat the functionality of the PROTREK.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, after doing some more research, I think I've settled on that PRW-60. It's only about 1mm wider than my X-33, and I like the large tritium hands. I don't need 16-zillion functions for the watch, just the standard timer/SW/Alarm and it has to have GMT. I've since decided that a compass makes sense, and the Protrek checks all those boxes. The extra sensors on it are just a bonus.

The only negative I've found with that watch is the negative display, but to get a positive display you have to buy the next year's model and the face is different, and I'd argue not as clean. Reviews seem indicate the negative display on that particular model is much brighter than most, so I'll live with it.

The one linchpin in this whole thing is that my current G-Shock refuses to die, and the whole point of getting the Protrek is for utility, not for jewelry. First-world problems.