• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which Uniform?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
My great grandfather, a WWII vet, is being buried at Arlington in a couple weeks, and my family wants me to attend in uniform. Question is, what is the appropriate uniform considering that it's summer? I did a search, and all the responses in the only related thread that came up said "wear civvies." I know the chaplain advised that original OP to wear working whites, but I don't feel like that would be appropriate.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
SDB. Whites are not a "mourning" color. SBD is a year-round uniform so no problem there.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
SDBs would be the most appropriate, as HAL said it is a year round uniform.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I always wore ribbons to military funerals while the Honor Guard wore medals.

I believe there is a Navy Honor Guard in Wash. D.C. You can always call them and ask these questions.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just went to the funeral of a longtime family friend and former Marine in uniform two weeks ago, I wore SDB's with ribbons. Unless you are part of the honor guard, I would stick with ribbons, and SDB's was definitely more appropriate with all of the dark suits.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^Like everyone else has said...you can't go wrong with SDBs...however I don't think trop whites are inappropriate either.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
I have done this on several occasions, both while burying squadron mates and friends / relatives. This is my opinion, but reinforced by the Service Etiquette Manual, as well as the Fleet Forces Command Protocol Officer.

If it is a funeral for someone dying in the line of duty and you are part of a squadron / unit, and will be in ranks, all members will wear the same seasonal uniform (probably Choker White w/ ribbon or SDB w/ Ribbon).

If you are part of the burial party (pallbearer, reader, bugler, chaplain), you will probably wear Full Dress seasonal (Chokers or SDB w/ large medals) and gloves.

If you are a guest attendee, and not part of a larger military organization, it is most appropriate to wear Dress Blue as it is most similar to civilian mourning colors. Whether you choose to wear Full Dress (medals & gloves) or Service Dress (ribbons) is really a personal preference based on your relationship to the deceased, or other attendees.

For example, my next door neighbor was a retired Master Chief (AMCM) who recently died. His grandson was a Marine Second Lieutenant awaiting Flight School. The widow asked if I would be an honorary pallbearer and if I would wear my uniform. The 2Lt and I contacted each other and I asked him what he wanted to wear (medals) and followed his lead so we looked as similar as possible.

You should also get smart on when to salute, and maybe even get a good understanding of the traditions associated w/ a military funeral w/ burial detail, gun salute, taps, and folding / presentation of the flag, because at the wake or post funeral gathering, you will be asked many questions and should be able to explain the meanings, numbers, etc of those traditions.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Ok, looks like DBs it is. As far as the medal/ribbon thing, I believe I'm going to be the one to place the ashes into the wall. Does this make a difference as to what I should be wearing?

I should also note that he served in the Army Air Corps, so that probably reinforces the DBs being more appropriate.

Also, a-6, do you have a source where I can read up on these funeral traditions so I don't appear to be the dumb Ensign I am?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd agree you can't go wrong with SDBs. If they'd be too uncomfortably hot (and I mean, you'd be in danger of heatstroke, not just sweaty), then choker whites would be okay. Not preferred, but I'd say they're an acceptable alternative. Ribbons in either case.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Ok, looks like DBs it is. As far as the medal/ribbon thing, I believe I'm going to be the one to place the ashes into the wall. Does this make a difference as to what I should be wearing?

I should also note that he served in the Army Air Corps, so that probably reinforces the DBs being more appropriate.

Also, a-6, do you have a source where I can read up on these funeral traditions so I don't appear to be the dumb Ensign I am?

I think the fact that you are placing the ashes in the columbarium niche would be an argument in favor of medals, since you are now performing an official function. Let me see if I can find the specific reference in Service Etiquette book and scan / paste.

Since it is at Arlington, the burial detail (Honor Guard) USAF Airmen will be in USAF Blues (coat & tie), so I think Dress Blues are appropriate. Had he been Navy, the Honor Detail Sailors would be in Service White and since you are performing an honorary function, could go w/ the Chokers.

Most important point is you are honoring the gentleman for his service.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Thanks for the help. Just a sidenote: The Army will be doing the funeral, not the AF. There was no AF in WWII.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Funeral customs

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/customs.htm

Whenever outside, and when the coffin passes by, uniformed members render a hand salute. But I'm not sure if it was because the coffin was draped in the Flag and you are honoring the Flag, or to pay respect for the dead. Since I haven't been to a funeral with cremains, I don't know if the flag is pre-folded and presented, or if it gets folded as part of the ceremony, so I don't know whether you would be saluting cremains as they pass by you if not draped by a Flag, and I can't quite visualize how that Flag would be presented if not yet folded.

You render a salute during the playing of Taps. The movement to salute is normally done at about 1/2 speed, as is the return to attention at the completion of Taps.

If accompanied by three rifle volleys, I've seen spent shell casings collected and some or all of the following been performed (depending on service):

- A spent casing placed in the folds of the Flag so it is permanently folded up in the Flag.

- Spent casings collected and presented to the family for distribution as they see fit.

- Spent casings collected, polished, and presented later in a small wooden box (typically with a unit coin or service emblem affixed to the top of the box), along with a note. This is usually done w/ active service members and presented by the CO. (I work w/ a former Brigade Commander who had over 40 KIAs during their deployment to Iraq, and he was very specific in his guidance to the rear det on how to conduct funerals.)

- Nothing at all. (probably not an issue at Arlington, but at some of the more remote burials, it is best to discreetly ask the person in charge of the Honor Detail to save the casings to give to the family.

Hope this helps.