• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which platform do you fly?

JW07

Custom Title
None
Hey, got a question about platforms. I'm in primary and just wondering what NFO's do per platform. Can anyone who's "been there, done that" give their opinion about their respective aircraft.

Actual responsibilities? i.e. Radar, Nav, Radio, etc.
Lifestyle? ship vs shore, deployment cycles, duration
Duty Location? Jacksonville, Lemour(sp?), etc

P-3's sounds like a good gig, but I can't seem to get an opinion of a carrier based NFO.

Thanks in advance.

J

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
While I can't speak for a deployment, I can speak for training for tacair backseaters. It is a blast (once things click, that is). NFO's own the comms, most squadrons have their own SOP for radar usage in -18's.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I fly the...errrr....well it's recently been retired.

Nevermind.

launch_multi.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's lots of info on the forum, search around.

The best time to get the straight gouge on "what communities do" is when you actually class up in flight school. Start picking the brains of your instructors. They can tell you what they've been doing in the Fleet, and I've yet to meet an aviator who didn't like talking about his plane.

I will tell you one thing, though: Norfolk sucks. Stay away.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You joined the Navy! Get a tail hook. When you grow up and someone asks you what you do (did) and you say you fly (flew) in the Navy they will expect to hear of tail hook exploits. Don't disappoint them. Do what you can't possible do anywhere else. Fly off of ships!

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You mean hear about the pilot's tailhook exploits? Hee hee har har!

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
There's lots of info on the forum, search around.

The best time to get the straight gouge on "what communities do" is when you actually class up in flight school. Start picking the brains of your instructors. They can tell you what they've been doing in the Fleet, and I've yet to meet an aviator who didn't like talking about his plane.

I will tell you one thing, though: Norfolk sucks. Stay away.

Oh come on, Norfolk's not SO bad. After spending four years here, I don't mind it so much. From what I've read, you could do worse.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
You mean hear about the pilot's tailhook exploits? Hee hee har har!
The trust you have to have as an NFO to fly with a nugget pilot around the boat is brass balls worthy of stories that trump the pilot's paddles' contact pitching deck stories....the NFO has to watch this go down in sheer terror man!

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The trust you have to have as an NFO to fly with a nugget pilot around the boat is brass balls worthy of stories that trump the pilot's paddles' contact pitching deck stories....the NFO has to watch this go down in sheer terror man!

True, true. I suppose some roller coasters are exciting... especially ones where you don't know the outcome.