• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which Marine Officers are more well rounded?

cmhumphr

CuMhUmPeR
So I was having a debate with a Marine recruiter about officers. We talked about officers that come from USNA, NROTC, PLC, and prior enlisted. He thinks the best officers are prior enlisted, but I begged to differ. What are your thoughts? Does the individual make a good officer and not where they came from?

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Facepalm-wrong.jpg

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
$20 says this thread turns into an Academy bash session and gets the big ol' lock.

And midn09, +1

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
$20 says this thread turns into an Academy bash session and gets the big ol' lock.

Or turns into another university vs. university thread or an Academy vs. NROTC...which turns into an academy bash session and THEN gets the big ol' lock.

cmhumphr

CuMhUmPeR
Are you kidding? A Navy Mid educating a Marine NCO on what makes a good Marine officer. That's fucking rich.

What year are you cumhumper?

No wasn't educating him. I told him that I was going through school first then to become an officer. Then he went out and said I need to go reserves first so I can be prior enlisted because they were better.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Clearly good and bad officers aren't a product of individual traits combined with experience, but rather are a direct product of their commissioning source, with each being able to be ranked as incrementally better or worse than the others by long, angry posts typed at 0200 on AirWarriors.com.

The sooner you clowns start the long, angry debate, the sooner we can get the to bottom of this.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
The sooner you clowns start the long, angry debate, the sooner we can get the to bottom of this.

*sigh* Do we have to? It's much more fun to laugh at the question and build up the impending debate that will likely peter out when A4s comes in and tells us some old war story or Rocky tells us we're being idiotic, semper fi.

I'd like to keep the laughter going...

Reconjoe

I wont be the one to bash this without rational logical thought....so here's the skinny...

Beg to differ if you wish, having opposing opinions is sometimes a good thing....just realize that in this case it sounds like your trying to differ an opinion based on absolutely zero real life experience...the guy your debating has at least been there done that got the t-shirt....you dig?

As a prior enlisted Marine now turned dark side, I'll tell you my opinion is being prior does not make you better automatically, but instead just like anything else in life, the priors have more experience than those who just role in from school....I've seen shitty mustangs (An officer who was prior enlisted), and I've seen God-like Chesty would be proud priors....fact is though I see more of the later than the former, and prior enlisted guys also have seen the Corps. through the eyes of the people you end up leading...so that perspective is usually a good thing....

See, told you i'd be gentle.....

Clux4

Banned
No wasn't educating him. I told him that I was going through school first then to become an officer. Then he went out and said I need to go reserves first so I can be prior enlisted because they were better.

Ask him if General Conway was prior enlisted?

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
sounds like that recruiter was trying to fill a qouta...

S/F

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I would submit that if your "prior enlisted experience" consists of going to bootcamp one summer, and OCS the next, you probably aren't getting the "experience" you want/need and you are unneccessarily putting yourself through a lot of pain (Bootcamp).