• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which Marine Officers are more well rounded?

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
: ThisForumNeedsAPopcornSmiley :

smileyvault-popcorn.gif

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Prior/non-prior, OCS, OCC, PLC, Academy, WHATEVER. You all suck.

If there was an OCS where 4 marine DIs just kicked you in the face and balls for 17 weeks straight... damn. Now THOSE Marines would be good to go!

Until then... I'm not impressed. :D

jtmedli

pilot
Prior/non-prior, OCS, OCC, PLC, Academy, WHATEVER. You all suck.

If there was an OCS where 4 marine DIs just kicked you in the face and balls for 17 weeks straight... damn. Now THOSE Marines would be good to go!

Until then... I'm not impressed. :D

Haha, I thought we called that TBS?

cmhumphr

CuMhUmPeR
So why aren't Academy Marine Options supposed to go to OCS? Is the training at the USNA hard enough?

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
So why aren't Academy Marine Options supposed to go to OCS? Is the training at the USNA hard enough?

No, it's just that if they send them to OCS, the possible repercussions from their frontal lobotomy and subsequent pampering could kill them and is therefore too much of a risk.

phrogpilot73

No, it's just that if they send them to OCS, the possible repercussions from their frontal lobotomy and subsequent pampering could kill them and is therefore too much of a risk.
The real reason is that the purpose of OCS is not to train, but to evaluate. It's purely a financial decision. They've spent >$250,000 and four years evaluating midshipmen for their ability to be officers. Why spend any more to send them to OCS?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Here's one from a while ago in a very similar thread, posted by yours truly:

...Experience, while it can be a huge advantage, can only carry you so far. I will argue that an entirely prior-enlisted officer corps would be a very bad thing for the Marine Corps, as I think we would be far too inclined to remain set in our ways and be too resistant to change. Granted, the newest way isn't always the best, and there is something important to be said for tempering ideas, techniques and equipment with a bit of salt. But, new perspectives on leadership, warfighting, etc are crucial to not only successfully accomplishing tasks, but also to the survival of the Marine Corps in general.

There are my thoughts on the matter, mostly pertaining to the prior v. non-prior argument. To round it out, though: Shitheads are shitheads, no matter where they come from. If it matters that much to you where someone accessed from, I suggest you consider dumping that baggage quickly. Because there are Marines and Sailors--not to mention Soldiers, Airmen, and all of the above from our allies--who depend too much on what you will be responsible for, to have you waste your time on this kind of thing. Who makes the better Officer? The one who takes care of those in his/her charge while getting shit done, that's who.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
By that logic, you would think the same would apply to ROTC mids, no?

Not really, considering you're constantly being evaluated at the Academy, while at ROTC you're not in a military environment 24/7. My friends that selected Marines had tons of face time with the officers/senior enlisted that comprised the selection board, and had plenty of weekly field exercises/pt sessions/professional development time etc where they were evaluated. That doesn't even include summer opportunities like leatherneck, squad challenge, MAGTF cruises, etc..
I can't speak for ROTC, but I have a feeling ROTC Marine options don't have nearly that amount of exposure to the Marine Corps prior to OCS.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
I can't speak for ROTC, but I have a feeling ROTC Marine options don't have nearly that amount of exposure to the Marine Corps prior to OCS.

Nope, they're too busy enjoying their college experience. You know drinking beer, chasing skirt, skipping class because you're too hungover to move, and playing XBOX for 12 hours straight...Oh wait, you have no idea what I'm talking about do you?