• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to live in Pensacola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dop03

SNA Wife
We live in the same area! We live off of Olive Road in the Meadowrun Apartments. They are a little bit older than the Kings Mill Apts, so they are a little cheaper. We have liked them so far, but I would LOVE a screened in porch that Kings Mill has! This has been a great location so far. It's nicely located between both bases and we have enjoyed being near the mall and all of those shopping areas. Let me know if you want some more info on these apartments or the area.

-Nicole

Brandi

SNA wife
I live in the Cordova area just south of the airport. It is a great area. I live in a townhouse. It is right near everything, the mall, Target, grocery, and lots more. I love the area.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
dont live at Austinwood! Nothing but trouble from the management at that hole.

vaughncc

P-3 pilot wife
We live in Colonial Village at Oakleigh and love it. We are half way between the two bases and close to both malls and the airport. Governer's Gate and Kings Mill are two other places to check out.

tukka

Ripper Chic
Anyone out there have an OCS'er right now?

I am new to the site and still wondering how things work in the forums and things but just a few questions:

1. "Dine-Out"...is it something that I should plan on flying down to or is it more of a "guys nite" type of deal? My OC will be in his 10th week about that time.

2. "Rolling"...very common or not? We have a wedding planned three days after the graduation date...that is assuming 13 weeks ONLY!

3. Any insite on OCS daily routines...I have horror thoughts in my head about "Black Saturday", "Indoc Week", and the list goes on and on! :eek:

So that about wraps up my post...any info. will be helpful!

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
My man in OCS has been there since February 21st. He hasn't made it to the "Dine out" point yet, but I hear it's fun if you can make it! And I'm sure he'd love to see you! As far as 'rolling' goes, it happened to my guy and quite a few guys he started with. They can roll for many reasons... physical injury, exhaustion, low inspection scores or low exam scores... but there are plenty of guys who make it through just fine. It's impossible to say for sure!
As far as their daily routines, yeah, they are very hard at first... my OCS candidate got used to the whole routine a few days in though and was able to cope with it really well. He's so used to it now, that it doesn't bother him at all. As a matter of fact, when he gets to call me on sundays, I can usually hear people in the background screaming/getting screamed at and they're all used to it. I think the first week is really set up to 'shock and awe' them, but once they get the hang of it, they do fine. Yes, his voice will be hoarse... and yes, he will be tired and stressed... but he will get used to it and look forward to that upcoming wedding date! (Congrats by the way!) :)

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Tukka,

From my experience, he probably has a 50/50 chance in graduating on time. Out of my classes 49 candidates, only 25 of us actually graduated on time. This was a result of many reasons that were mentioned in the above post. It also depends on where he is in training. He is LESS likely to get rolled the further in training he gets. After 4th week, and no signs of upcoming injuries, then it's probably a safe bet to say that he's going to graduate ontime; however, you can't always expect the unexpected.

Also remember that OCS is only 13 weeks. If he can overcome the mental stresses that are divied out at OCS, then he should be a great Naval Officer. You have to be mentally strong, as you will be leading many sailors in the upcoming years after commission. Good luck with your decision.

tukka

Ripper Chic
Thanks for all of the info! I guess that I will keep my fingers crossed for a "no-roll" situation!
I talked with his parents today and he had called this morning! All is well after Indoc week and the dreaded Black Saturday! I hope that I hear from him soon!

D_Mac- what is your overall feeling being done with OCS and all! Also, how exactly does the Dine out work? Does he get liberty to leave the base and stay with me...can he come and pick me up from the airport...what all does the dine out entail...etc.etc..

Its obvious without me even needed to state that I am a worried first time Navy-bride-to-be!

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Tukka,

All I can say is that I am glad it's over with. Time went soooo slow during OCS, and now time goes by soooo quick in the A-pool. Dining out....it's a great time to relax with your hubby. He'll get liberty no matter what, but expect him to sleep a lot during that liberty...you tend to do that when you get liberty. It's a casual dinner...have fun. But, as far as picking you up at the airport, that depends on when you're coming in to town. Most dining outs are on Fridays, and liberty usually isn't granted until 16:00 I believe. He'll probably have to be back in by 01:00 Saturday, and get liberty again 16:00 Saturday to 16:00 Sunday. That all depends on if his class is secure or not. All in all, you'll have a great time.

D

tukka

Ripper Chic
thanks for all the helpful info...keep me posted on things that you think i should know! maybe i should stay naive until he is done...i might sleep better that way! :eek:

tukka

Ripper Chic
also...help me out on understanding the requirements for the swim test. do you roll if you don't pass? i know that there is a float and a jump and a distance swim...but it would be nice to know what actually happens from a OCS insider!

Status
Not open for further replies.