• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where to live in Pensacola

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFO Wife

My husband will be going to OCS in July. After he graduates we will be in Pensacola for about 9 months.... Does anyone have any suggestions on where to live? I would like to live on base but I heard there is a long waiting list. Thanks!

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've heard the same thing about waiting lists for living on base... I've done a little searching online and found some pretty nice apartments that even give military discounts. I'm pretty sure that you can break a lease contract with them if/when your husband gets orders to go somewhere else. Someone told me that there are a lot of beach apartments that are pretty reasonable. Does anyone know more about this?

~Crystal

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
You can break lease if there's a military clause in the lease. I know reading that stuff blows, but flat out, make sure there is a military clause allowing you to break lease when you get orders. I'm in San Diego, and those clauses are pretty standard, I'm guessing that should be the norm in P-cola as well.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thisguy said:
You can break lease if there's a military clause in the lease. I know reading that stuff blows, but flat out, make sure there is a military clause allowing you to break lease when you get orders.

I *thought* it was against the law for anywhere to leave out the military clause. Something about it being discriminatory. Could definitely be wrong though!

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
nope, definitely not illegal. It would be illegal if they just wouldn't rent to you because you were in the military, but if they want they can make you sign a year lease if you want to live there. You just have the option to say screw off.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Right. Ultimately, it is your responsibility to make sure the clause is there. Don't sign a lease for a year and assume, "Oh, I'm military, so I can break this anytime." Make sure it's there. The easiest thing to do is ask about it, and they'll usually flip to the clause. Most military clauses allow breaking the lease for change of orders, but most won't if you're going on deployment, or if you simply decide you don't want to live there anymore.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Most will say that your move have to be a PCS at least 50 miles away to break the lease. Not usu. a big problem, but if you want to move from near NAS Pensacola to NAS Whiting Field, you might not be able to.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks ENSsquid!!!

Here's the part of the SSCRA I was thinking of. (By the way, I work in real estate right now)

(4) Extends the right to terminate real property leases to active duty soldiers moving pursuant to permanent change of station (PCS) orders or deployment orders of at least 90 days. This eliminates the need to request a military termination clause in leases.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
yep, it's new as of December 2003 I believe. There are also some other new additions. I think I will add a SSCRA portion to the required reading list. It's got some really good bennies.

edit, I can't spell gooder.

Agent00JP

Is your husband a SNFO designator? If so, you should look at on-base housing. You may be able to move down there while he is in OCS(don't know what your plans are). Also, check with the housing office at NASP, the have a list of reputable places and landlords. That is also where you WILL pick up a Military Clause form to be filled out along with your lease. As for places off base, my friends (married & single) enjoyed Fairfiled Lakes, Governor's Gate, Austin Wood. Don't rent sight unseen. Don't rent anywhere without someone (military) recommending it to you.

AndysGirl

SNA Wife
I could definately recommend Austinwood apartments. Spent last summer there with my SO. They are new, clean and quite a few military people live there. They are really close to the base, which is good. But far from major shopping, airport, restaurants. There is a Wal-Mart supercenter less than five minutes away.

The other thing about living that close to the base is that you will more than likely get a wake up call around 8:30 in the morning from the Blue Angels flying over! Luckily, it is during the summer and only two days a week!

Good luck on the house/apartment hunt!

Rebecca

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Ferry Pass isn't that bad of a place to live also. It's about 30 minutes from both NASP and Whiting. I currently live in Kings Mill Apts. Shopping, and everything else is VERY close. It seems that it is busy everywhere you go here in P'Cola. Davis Hwy is packed every morning, but again, that'll be the case anywhere you go here. Everyone's heading to NASP at the same time around 07:00.

Status
Not open for further replies.