• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WHERE TO LIVE AT TBS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
I know all of you have already helped me quite a bit answering my questions regarding TBS, however, I have a few more questions I would appreciate if anyone here could answer.

Since it looks like me and my soon to be wife will be making the decision to both go to TBS together, I was wondering if there are any Marine Officers here who have recommendations as to where is a good place to get an apartment (Stafford? What specific apartment complexes are used by Marine LT's often?). Also, is getting an apartment for TBS the kind of thing you can do a couple weeks before TBS starts, or should I begin looking for an apartment now? (at least 9 months before TBS for me). Also- approximately what percentage of TBS LT's are married?

I appreciate all the help once again.
Semper Fi

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't completely rule out base-housing. There are several advantages easily overlooked, but like anything else, has its down side(s) too. The waiting list is very short, no matter what the web-site says, as a matter of fact, I walked right in and had a house that day. No deposits, no utitility bills, more space than most places out in town. If you are leaning towards off-base-housing, Jester or JBoomer could point you in the right direction.

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Thats great to hear that On-base housing is available. For whatever reason, I was under the impression that if you weren't going to be a single Marine LT and just live in the BOQ you HAD to go off base to find accomodations. Thanks for your response, Sir.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
What's BOQ?
-Tax- I see that you're going to be married when you go to TBS. Congrats. What is your wifr planning on doing? Just curious cause I'll prolly be in your spot some day. Thanks.

Semper FI

Taxman2A

War were declared.
EA-6B1-
She isn't really sure what she wants to do... She's in an interesting situation, in that she has a broad major (communications), and is very marketable because she has a 3.8 GPA. Even though she did well in school, she has no idea what she wants to do as far as a career, so she's just looking for whatever work she can find that sounds interesting. She's currently looking for jobs both where we will be living before going to TBS (which is something my broke ass has to do also), and in Quantico. It works out fairly well for us because she doesn't have this feeling that she is being held back in her career going to TBS with me, because she doesn't know what line of work she wants to be in in the first place.

buddywee

On-base housing is a no-go for TBS students. It is only open to permanent personnel. Married Lts that want to bring their spouses find accommodations off-base. A great source for info is the off-base housing office located on mainside. They will send you a welcome aboard packet with everything you need to know about this area...and what is available for rent. They include maps, phone numbers, rent rates, etc.

One of the best places to live around here is Sky Terrace. It is located less than a mile from the Onville Gate of Camp Barrett. Sunningdale Meadows and Aquia Terrace are also nice. My personal recommendation is that you get a place as close to Camp Barrett as possible. Time off is scarce around here...and you certainly don't want to waste it driving home!

S.F.

Lt Tremblay
Echo Co, TBS

Taxman2A

War were declared.
buddy... thanks for the info. As you can see I asked my original question around 9 months ago, and I am now at Fox company.

Your info is correct-- the closer to camp barrett, the better! I would like to make one correction though- you actually can live on base as a TBS student-- there is a guy in my platoon who does it. I don't think I would personally recommend it, as on base housing is located on mainside, which provides a 20 minute drive from TBS... too long for me.

I concur that the offbase housing office is a great resource, and will provide you with phone numbers, addresses, floorplans, and all kinds of trash for off base apartment complexes. Anyone who is looking to find offbase housing in Quantico should certainly look them up.

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
I think you are incorrect. There were several lieutenants in my company who had on-base housing. I graduated last June w/ Alpha Co.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, I lived on base also, (last Alpha) and for some reason that same crazy rumor was running around TBS about housing being for Perm Pers only. Not true. More than half my block was TBS students and the other half comprised of EWS Capt's.

I wonder if an SPC started that rumor because he/she was tired of being surrounded by Lt's at work and after work. Makes sense to me, even I was tired of being surrounded by Lt's....lol

buddywee

My bad...I was always told that we could not live one base. My fellow TBSers know how reliable the "word" is around here.

S.F.

T

megrey06

Kingsville
Just to clear it up, I am currently at TBS, married and live on base. There are about four of ous who live on base, but the majority of the LT's live off (those who are married). As for off base, Stafford (off of Garrisonville rd) is probably the most popular location due to it's proximity to TBS. There are several complexes on the east side of I-95.

We went to the housing office the day that I commissioned and got a unit that day. The homes are old, but they are serviceable and the convenience is hard to beat. I live around a lot of 0-3's at EWS and they are a great resource.

-Matt
2ndLT USMC
Fox Co. TBS

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
You live in a two man room. Basically two pair of racks, a fridge, a couple closets, a desk and a head (with a shower). Cozy, but definitely not spacious.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
G.O. Bachelors live in the barracks just like a single Lt. I'm not sure if they rate BAH for their families, but I vaguely remember us being told that they don't-- Not 100% sure on that one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.