• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where the he** am I going to stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortncurly

Road Program, I'm down here with my husband and we're in almost the same situation as you. We arrived in Pensacola on the 4th (he's awaiting API), and have been in a hotel (paying up the butt, of course) since then. They're giving us the boot on the 16th, but our apartment won't be ready until the 19th (at least that's the story right now... they've changed the date on us about five times). Keep trying the BOQ, every Friday or daily if you can, because people check out all the time. You just have to beat everyone to get their room. You also want to put your name on every apartment waiting list you can get your hands on. But if they say you have to go look at it or sign RIGHT AWAY, do it. They'll rent it out from under your nose; that's happened to us three times (literally, on the 10 minute drive over).

It sucks beyond the telling of it, but there are tons of people in your situation. I say we all start a support group -- or at least a drinking society (could that be the same thing?)

Good luck!

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
I got here on the 1st and ended up staying at the Q at Whiting. Apparently they have plenty of rooms. I called around to all the realtors to try to find a house to rent. I was greeted with chuckles and told no. Then I called all the apartment places. I found two that had an opening and I chose the one that offered garages. It's not a perfect location (just north of I-10), but it'll do. I was lucky in they were getting it ready for someone who ended up backing out of the lease, so I could move right in. I guess I just got lucky.

shortncurly

Yeah, sounds like you got lucky... we were able to get into the Q on the main base, thankfully. Our apartment STILL isn't ready, the bastards.

beylund

Hey, I'll be in the PCola area late December, also looking for a place to live and/or roommates, anyone interested please email me.

WannaBEaP3gal

I'm probably gonna be in pcola around Feb. Is there any decent place to live there yet? My dad said try to Q, but I've been told there is no room there, but he doesn't seem to believe that! I don't really want to stay there anyways, I want a life outside of the base for sanity purposes... Are there any certain places I should seek out or avoid?? Help :(

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
I heard Austin Woods is nice. I tried there, but they were full when I was looking. Governor's Gate looks nice, but I didn't check with them.

shortncurly

Our apartment complex, Marcus Pointe Grande, is currently under construction, so you might be able to reserve a place to be ready in Feb. They kept pushing our date back for when we could move in, but things might be settling down a bit. It's a really nice place, close to shopping malls and stuff, and about 15 mins away from base. Our two bedroom goes for about 740, utilities not included. They also have one bedrooms and three bedrooms available.

The BOQ might have space for you, but make sure you mention that you're there for API (if that's the case) -- they'd turn you away if you didn't have orders. They don't have any permanent rooms but transient rooms are on a first-come first-served basis; at least they were a couple of weeks ago.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
The BOQ has tons of permanent rooms. Two guys in my API class (I'm in the 5th week) had to move in there after they lost their homes in the hurricane. One of them said that there's no one that lives around him. There are more than enough rooms in the BOQ if you intend to live there. It all depends on who is working the desk, some people are just jerks. I live in Fairfield Lakes Apts, close to the base and not too expensive. There's a waiting list, but it might be open in Feb.

peanut3479

pilot
The BOQ really is hit or miss - whether they're completely full or nearly desolate seems to depend on the day of the week as much as who you ask. I've heard that the BOQ at P'cola is still full but I'm pretty sure the BOQ up at Whiting has space (particularly transient). You could try checking out an apartment finding service online, but a lot of the complexes around here seem to advertise even if they don't have any available units.

On a separate note, I have an extra bedroom in my house I'm now looking to rent. Great house, good location - PM me for more info.

airpirate25

Grape Ape...Grape Ape
The same old problems, the same old soloutions...he he! When I reported to P-Cola, I tried the Q with predictable results (oh yeah, years later, my Dad still thinks I was just an irresponsible brat who wanted a lux on the beach). The big question is, are you going to OCS, or API? If you're entering API as an officer, you're hopefully going to be there at least until you go to Whiting or Randolf. If you're a SNFO, you're there forever, so getting a pad in town isn't a bad plan. At least when I was there, the traffic was light in the AM until you got about a mile or two from base. My two roomates were SNA's and I was SNFO. We roomed on HWY 98 until they went to Whiting (Like 9 months later), then I moved into a one room a few miles from the back gate.
The key is, Whiting, Sherman and the outlying fields are kinda orbiting Pensacola...it's not that odd to move into a house or apartment in API and spend the rest of flight school there if you're strike fighter.

xof

The money might take a while to get to you, and it depends on where you go for primary (although it shouldn't). I got sent to Vance, and I'm going to get $5-10,000 per diem from Pensacola. I guess it's a consolation prize for getting Vance. A friend of mine who got to Vance earlier and started the paperwork earlier just got the money. Nothing to count on, but it is pretty sweet.

trvsmrtn

pilot
Those guys in P'cola are that backed up in paying per diem? I've done the math and I'm praying that there's no berthing available when I get there, so I guess I'll start the paperwork for that money as soon as I report.

WannaBEaP3gal

I'm going to API as a FO so I should be in pcola for a while, I'm looking more on the lines of a 2 bed/2bath for me and another girl, not far from base, but definitly close to the malls and stuff... oh and what's this per diem thing??

Status
Not open for further replies.