• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where old planes go when they "die"

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
nittany03 said:
Aha! Another NA museum denizen! The F3H Demon, granddaddy to the F-4 Phantom.

Edit: I believe Ryoukai's is a Grumman Ag-Cat. They had one of those buzzing around Monroeville when I flew there in Primary.

Damn!...that was too quick, the F3 usually gets most people, but I think I'll disagree on the Ag Cat 'cause it's a bi-plane, I think it's an Air Tractor modified as a tandem seat for military sales.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Cyclic said:
Holy crap!!..I'm away for one day and there's like 5 more pages of posts!
Anyway...my goodness..I had bet that the VP guys would get the T-29 homebase in a snap...A4 was close but here's another hint...if you VP guys don't get it on this one you need to buy all of us a beer!!!!

photo018.jpg

Sounds/looks like Texas --- Corpus Christi ???

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
A4sForever said:
Sounds/looks like Texas --- Corpus Christi ???

A T-29 from VT-29 (main clue from the original photo) at NAS Corpus Christi, advanced training for future Neptune drivers. Yep that's the T-heads on the pic and Downtown on the ri...oh wait...there is no Downtown there!

Interesting thing is that all those aircraft were tranfered from the USAF, notice that they have no BUNO but Air Force serial #'s, 13 USAF T-29B's are listed to have been converted into VT-29B's and loaned to the Navy in the early 60's...ha ha VT-29B assigned to VT-29 squadron...wander how the hell that came to.
Well now you know all NASCC's squadrons in the early 60's, VT-28 S-2 Trackers, VT-29 VT-29B and ????, VT-30 A4D Skyraiders, VT-31....I'll leave that to the VP guys..besides this is their turf.

By the way, the other aircraft VT-29 was this one...What is it???
47sq98.jpg

449635.jpg

BTW, If you're thinking it's a DC-3....you're wrong,super close but wrong, this is a DC-3 vv
7sq98.jpg

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
T-man said:
Based on what the windshield looks like, the angle of the windshield, and how few instruments there are I am going to hazard a guess... X-1?

Indeed.... It is the Bell X-1. Good work. :-D

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Cyclic said:
Damn!...that was too quick, the F3 usually gets most people, but I think I'll disagree on the Ag Cat 'cause it's a bi-plane, I think it's an Air Tractor modified as a tandem seat for military sales.

Those do look very close to it, but neither of you will enjoy this fine see-gar.

Hint: It shares its name with a notable, semi-recent, Naval Aircraft.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What, no takers? Here is another picture in Navy livery.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Retread, I'm just impressed by your avatar. Anyone who knows the value of Joe Don Baker is tops.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
wink said:
What, no takers? Here is another picture in Navy livery.

Ahh! ok that pic kicked the memory cells, I remember a little, I have a book somewhere where it talked about that, I think the Navy used it for a short time but it was awful, then it talked about the North American contract for the T-2 which was originally single engine, which was better but still awful. Curiuos thing was that the design for both looked very similar but I don't think it was North American. I'm not sure but I think it was named T-1.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
RetreadRand said:
You know...someone mentioned the MI-6 earlier...I flew on an MI-8 last fall in Croatia...glad I made it on the deck safely...
Well, in reality if all american helos were as sturdy and reliable as the Mi-8 the savings in maintenence and manpower would allow us to have glass cockpit in the the whole Navy helo inventory!!!!!

Uh oh....threadjack...ok, back to old Navy aircraft... :icon_clos

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
^ But why does it look like it's preggo? Aircraft aren't supposed to look like that.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cyclic said:
Ahh! ok that pic kicked the memory cells, I remember a little, I have a book somewhere where it talked about that, I think the Navy used it for a short time but it was awful, then it talked about the North American contract for the T-2 which was originally single engine, which was better but still awful. Curiuos thing was that the design for both looked very similar but I don't think it was North American. I'm not sure but I think it was named T-1.

Good one. It was a TEMCO product, TT-1 Pinto Originally a USAF contract, they rejected it early on. The Navy considered it as a primary trainer. Only a few built. Never made it to the VTs because it was a pig and the Navy didn't buy into the jet primary trainer like the AF did. USAF went with the tweet and the Navy with T-34 and T-2. A couple remain in civilian hands. I know a guy that had one with a larger engine that was pretty hot. Called it the Super Pinto.

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
Cyclic said:
Uh oh....threadjack...ok, back to old Navy aircraft... :icon_clos
Yeah. How dare you threadjack the longest (and greatest, IMHO) threadjack in the history of AirWarriors. ;) I think in the 10+ pages of posts that make up this thread, there are all of about 6 or so related to the original topic. But if you're gonna get threadjacked, the best you can hope for is a fun one like this has turned out to be!
:D