• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where are the Hornet pilots?

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
I've actually met more Marine hornet drivers than any Marine pilot.

Actually, I don't think I've met any other Marine pilots. Saw the Blue Angels guys once in person, but didn't talk to them.

PU Grad

Malice 1

pilot
You misunderstand me. :)

It brought me back to earlier days when I too believed that Tacair made up most of the Navy and Air Force was convinced that warrant officers did most of the helo flying in ALL of the services, browsed BaseOps.net asking % jets questions, and believed that ANG types only flew one weekend a month, and could hold a "normal" job with ease.

My comment was more out of sarcasm. I was alluding to the fact that I'm not gonna get heartbroken if I lose the jet race.

Back on topic...

What happens to Senior jet guys, like 0-5 and such? Are they all in squadron command billets, or is there other stuff for them too?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone who would know recently told me that something like 95% of Navy first tour pointy-nose guys are currently going to a flying billet for their second tour. The likely candidates are the RAGs, jet VT's, NFO advanced, foreign exchange tours, inter-service exchanges, VX squadrons, TPS, and Top Gun. Marines obviously have other options.

I find that very hard to believe. It may be high, but not 95%.

Brett

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
we're too cool for school ...

In my limited Marine corps career, I have never ever once seen a Marine Hornet driver. ...

... Where are they, and what do they do? Are they constantly deployed, or are they just too cool for school?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Everybody I know wants C130's. I kinda want the osprey; with door gunners, and engines that can rotate in opposite directions, so I can turn the aircraft into a giant ninja star.

I'd be an airshow superstar in my osprey that flys like a frisbee.

I can just see it now....weapon of the future. Stick some cool sword blades on the sides and you've got a 20 ton-ish throwing star. Now why are we wasting all of that money on those pesky outdated bullets...? :D

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Isn't that common for Navy guys to fly there first and second tours? Then they go staff.
Nope. After the shore tour comes a disassociated sea tour (search for details) followed by a department head tour. Some communities require you be selected for DH as well.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Isn't that common for Navy guys to fly there first and second tours? Then they go staff.
It's neither common, nor uncommon. I'd say it's just over half in my community are flying on their 1st shore tour.

Brett

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
In my limited Marine corps career, I have never ever once seen a Marine Hornet driver.

Just got to Miramar man... every other person there is a hornet driver...just throw a stone in any direction, you're liable to hit one.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I find that very hard to believe. It may be high, but not 95%.

Brett
I thought it too high also. Just passing on what an O-6 said. With all of the real world shyte going on, maybe it's just a statistical blip for a year or so to satisfy manpower req's. Add in the fact that the Super Rags are getting up and running, Growler er Shocker coming online, reserve squadrons being heavily tasked, etc... I've even heard of Navy pointy-nose guys going to AD Marine squadrons to fill seats for a deployment or two.
Obviously beyond my pay grade so take it FWIW.

TheOldMan

pilot
What happens to Senior jet guys, like 0-5 and such? Are they all in squadron command billets, or is there other stuff for them too?

Once you hit O-5 flying jobs are fewer and fewer. If you screen and slate for command you might get lucky and go to your future squadron as the XO, but more than likely will get stashed on the Group or Wing staff until the change of command. Non-slated O-5's also fill more senior billets at the Group and Wing, and are augment pilots assigned to one or more of the squadrons. As a general rule, augment pilots get their minimums and not much more. If you're not able to get a DIFOP assignment as an O-5, you end up in a non-flying staff job at a MARFOR, HQMC, or joint command. Stay around to be an O-6 and you won't see much more flying, if any. Also, after 20 years of aviation service your flight pay (ACIP) begins to drop, and goes to zero at the 24 year mark (and $850/month pay cut over the 4 years).
OORAH!

propwash

seems most jet avatars aren't even pilots yet
pilot
FAC makes sense. I never understood why a C130 driver would be a FAC. He doesn't drop bombs.

You'd be surpised how many KC-103 guys are or have been FACs with some pretty high speed units. Same with 46 and 53 guys.

From my squadron alone, right now there are three former FAC's (4 counting a 46 transition guy) who all have been in the thick of some shooting in Iraq of Afghanistan, two guys who are currently off on FAC tours in Iraq, and two leaving next year. That's a healthy percentage when there are only under 50 or so total pilots...

The fun brush paints wide.

Food for thought for you guys in flight school thinking 130's is only a bunch of enroute time watching DVD's on your laptop over the ICS while you ponder ways to spend all that per diem...