• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When to order uniforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fongabonga

pilot
I'm getting commissioned in the end May so I was just wondering when would be a good time to order my Blues for commissioning? I'm currently working out pretty hard core trying to gain some size, so I don't want to order it and have it be too small on me, I'll probably drive down to Quantico too so they can measure me up nicely. Any suggestions?
Also, I'm leaning towards getting my uniform from MCCS as opposed to The Marine Shop, and words to the wise? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Semper Fi

Fongabonga

pilot
Also, did anyone get that Uniform loan that they offer? I don't remember which bank it is, but if i'm going down to Quantico, I'll just get all my uniforms at once.

Dustball

2nd LT
I ordered my blues for a 24 April commissioning in the middle of January from the Marine Shop. I recieved them in the mail about a week ago and they did a great job. I had them measure me after I graduated OCS and then just sent them a couple pictures and new measurements done by my local tailor. It takes at least 3 or 4 weeks for them to make and ship them, at least they did in my case. You should probably order them pretty soon so if they screw something up you can send them back to be fixed. If they're not perfect but will do for commissioning, when you get to TBS just have them altered. They'll do it for free. If your pretty far away from Q-Town don't bother driving all the way down there all you need to check into TBS is a civillian business suit.

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
Get the 5000 loan from Navy Mutual Aid, it has almost no interest. I saved some money and bought my blues through MCCS, and have had no problem with them.

Q

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
**** the Marine Shop. They are overpriced and have the worst customer service in the world. They treat you like crap when you are a Lt at TBS, insist you have to have bull**** uniform parts, and jerk you around on deadlines. I bought my blues from them, but will never give them another thin dime. The exchange is far cheaper, same quality, and had awesome customer service.

/rant

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
NMA will give your company a brief at TBS and pass out the loan paperwork. It is a heck of a deal.

I'd stay away from the Marine shop, but thats just me.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry, but I (along with a lot of my friends) were really turned off from them by the way they treated us. The uniform briefs they gave at TBS were so biased towards the Marine Shop it made me sick (mainly, because the platoon uniform reps work primarily with the Marine Shop vice the MCCS). They insisted you have uniform items that you'll almost never need. At times, they even went so far as to say certain items were required when they clearly weren't in the Regs. They had to know it was a lie and that just really got to me. When you take things in to get altered, or want to order something it was always "what company are you in" and then "oh, you won't need that till XXXX, so don't worry." Nevermind the fact that people needed items for weddings or various other ceremonies and they didn't seem to care. It got to the point where I just told them I was in Comm School or something so they wouldn't feed me a BS line about not having my blues ready at a certain time. They would be helping you in the middle of something and then drop you like a hot potato if an O4 or above walked in. Granted, rank hath its privileges, but they are not the military, and common courtesy still exists.

It's more a perception of their overall way of doing business. They definitely were not "customer oriented"... atleast as far as a 'lowly' O-1 at TBS was concered. The only thing I thought they had going for them was a couple of cute girls working there - a definite oddity in Quantico. I'm sure some people have had great experiences with them, but I'm just sharing my 2 cents. Take it for whatever you feel it's worth.

ps - you can get info about the Navy Mutual aid from your OSO or by calling them at (800) 628-6011 or (703) 614-1638. Good luck.

S/F

stevew

squeeze said:
The only thing I thought they had going for them was a couple of cute girls working there - a definite oddity in Quantico. I'm sure some people have had great experiences with them, but I'm just sharing my 2 cents. Take it for whatever you feel it's worth.

S/F

Squeeze, what great experiences were you reffering to? The girls or the Marine shop? :eyebrows_

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
Go to the TBS uniform shop on Camp Barrett. That way when your retarded platoon uniform reps which are stupid boots who know less about the uniforms than they do the five paragraph order make you re-tailor everything the TBS minimum 10 times you will be able to walk down the hill and get your uniforms. Comes in handy when they say "no one is getting libo until you all come down to the green carpet in your green trousers, blues coat with long sleeve shirt underneath, charlie shirt on top with one corofram shoe and one PT shoe and get inspected by either a platoon reps who knows nothing or a foreigner working the exchange who speaks English as a third language". Then without fail some jackass will shout down the Pway "do we need our swords?" And half the company will show up with swords and the company staff will yell at you for uniformity. :icon_wink

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAHAHA

how close to the truth

I also love how they measured us for our Chucks after spending a week in the field, then refused to believe me that my normal waist size was about 2" more. Now it's an effort to get into them at times, and not wearing anything but a flight suit makes it hard to remember to get them fixed.

Fongabonga

pilot
wow, thanks for all the great information, very much appreciated
looks like MCCS is the way to go, I called them up today and I felt their service was great, very polite and helpful.
Now, to PAY for the uniforms, USAA, NFCU and NMA all have loans for newly commissioned officers, I'll post the rates as soon as I find out for everyone else who needs the info, so far, i know USAA has a $5k unsecured(no-collateral) loan at 3%.
I'm probably going to buy everything at once, to save the trouble, heres my list!
-1 Complete set of Blue/Blue for commissioning
-1 Service Alpha Jacket
-1 Service Cover/Frame
-1 Garrison Cover
-2 Khaki long sleeve shirts
-2 Khaki short sleeve shirts
-1 extra set of blue trousers
-2 Green Trousers
-2 sets of Brown Boots
-1 pair of Glossy Shoes
-assorted accessories (emblems, belts, etc...)

I've already got 4 sets of DIGI woodlands and 2 Deserts, is that enough?
and I'm thinking about buying the sword during TBS. Thanks again for all the help!

Fongabonga

pilot
Just called Navy Federal Credit Union, they no longer offer their Career Assistance Loans for newly commissioned Officers, their only loan available to us is a personal loan at a whopping 12%.
Navy Mutual Aid loans are only available after commissioning and have a rate of 1.5%.

CitizenReloaded

my OSO told me that getting the blues from the Marine Shop and everything else from the px is the way to go. I did notice that, compared side to side, the MS bluse looked a lot better.

Clux4

Banned
If you can get on a military installations and the drive is not that far for you, you can go to MCB Henderson Hall and get your uniforms there. I don't think the crowd there would be like that of TBS.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is no reason to get a USAA/NM/NFCU loan for your uniforms. The PX at Camp Barrett offers interest free payment plans for your uniforms.

Couple tips...
you really don't NEED more than 1 long sleeve shirt anytime soon (I've never worn Blue Dress Charlies or Service Bravos). Getting one for your Alphas should suffice for now. I also wouldn't buy another set of blue pants... those suckers are pricey, and based on how rarely you wear blues and/or Deltas, there's no real reason. Also, don't make the mistake I did and buy the green barracks cover.... I haven't pulled that hideous thing out of the box since I bought it -- no one wears it with Alphas except for photos it seems.

And yes, wait till TBS to order a sword. They'll measure you for it and you can compare the 2 brands to pick your favorite.

/old thread, but still good info

Status
Not open for further replies.