• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

when to get out of DEP after receiveing the NROTC scholarship

Airyk17

some of this might be a repost but I had a couple of questions about getting out of DEP. I was applying for the NROTC scholarship and the recruiter said it would help me get it if I went DEP so I did. I have gotten the scholarship and am going to Purdue on the NROTC scholarship. I still do PT with my DEP unit though just to stay in shape. My DEP ship date is Aug 21 so I have time to get out but I was wondering if I should go ahead and get out or stay in bcuz it is kinda beneficial bcuz i'm still learning navy drill and staying in shape. Also When I do leave what is the best way to get out of DEP?

ps sorry if it's a repost.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
some of this might be a repost but I had a couple of questions about getting out of DEP. I was applying for the NROTC scholarship and the recruiter said it would help me get it if I went DEP so I did. I have gotten the scholarship and am going to Purdue on the NROTC scholarship. I still do PT with my DEP unit though just to stay in shape. My DEP ship date is Aug 21 so I have time to get out but I was wondering if I should go ahead and get out or stay in bcuz it is kinda beneficial bcuz i'm still learning navy drill and staying in shape. Also When I do leave what is the best way to get out of DEP?
Get out of DEP ASAP if you have a scholarship. Work out on your own and don't worry about navy drill. Congrats on the scholarship.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
There was a kid at my rotc unit who went to boot camp after getting his nrotc scholarship. His recruiter told him he still needed to go to boot camp, which of course was a lie. So yes, tell your recruiter ASAP.

Airyk17

There was a kid at my rotc unit who went to boot camp after getting his nrotc scholarship. His recruiter told him he still needed to go to boot camp, which of course was a lie. So yes, tell your recruiter ASAP.

My DEP recruiter knows, he told me to stay in for the reasons I listed, I thought he was really cool but after reading some recent posts on here i'm getting suspicious, just wanted an idea of what you guys thought cause ya'll usually tell it like it is. :D
i'm also not that worried about getting *stuck* in DEP bcuz I've got till aug 21 not that i'm gonna procrastinate that long.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I thought he was really cool but after reading some recent posts on here i'm getting suspicious
Be very suspicious. They seem cool for a reason. If he was really cool, maybe he would let you borrow his recruitmobile for the weekend.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd do it as soon as possible. Just send the letter.
-ea6bflyr ;)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I agree with FLYTPAY and ea6bflyr... get out quick. You don't want to put yourself in a bad situation where you will be stuck in something later down the road. Learning drill doesn't even come close to outweighing to potential consequences of shipping to Great Lakes. Plus, after NROTC, you will never drill again.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
No letter required. Your recruiter will cancel your contract the month before you are scheduled to ship. The CO wants you to take the scholarship. It looks good for everyone. No need to get all excited.

OC Hosman (Former EM1 Recruiter)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
dodging_bullet_matrix.jpg

Do you realize what would have happened if you didn't get the ROTC scholarship? I'll bet you were undesignated, too.

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
Trust me... get out of the DEP early. You can always still go PT and drill with them on your own time anyways if the recruiter is as good as you say.
You're going to get plenty of PT and drill time in school.

I was in the same boat as you.. did DEP, then got picked up for scholarship. I PT'd enough with the recruiter to get something out of it. I enjoyed my last summer of freedom before going through NROTC and took advantage of the time off. You're going to be plenty busy once you start school. Enjoy the time off while you have it.

phrogpilot73

No letter required. Your recruiter will cancel your contract the month before you are scheduled to ship. The CO wants you to take the scholarship. It looks good for everyone. No need to get all excited.

OC Hosman (Former EM1 Recruiter)
I'm betting that keeping him in the DEP till the last minute gives the recruiter some "wiggle room" in making his mission, doesn't it? After all, he's made mission and now he's got someone in the DEP, so he's got time to find someone to replace him. Or am I off base?

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
no.. They don't have to replace him with another contract. When they make the goals around this time of year, they take into account people getting DEP'd in and then going ROTC... I've had people enlist into a regular job, convert to the nuke field, put in a NROTC application, put in a regular Office package, get selected via regular officer programs and go that route. But, in the process, everyone gets a piece of the pie. When that young man or woman accepts the NROTC or Officer package, they do take a hit for a "lost" enlisted contract. BUT, at the end of that month , region will reduce the district's goal by one. Therefore, it doesn't hurt them, by getting a officer vice enlisted person.

OC former EM1

Newps17

I talked to Embry-Riddle ROTC and they said that whether or not your in DEP makes no impact at all on your ROTC app. My recruiter said the same thing to me about DEP and I called to verify it. The CO at ERAU seemed pretty mad about it.

But that's just my .02