• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When to get Married?

When

• Now

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Graduation

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Wings

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Never

Votes: 20 36.4%

• Total voters

KrazyKaptain

I am a senior at USNA and I just got engaged. My fiance is a senior in nursing school and will be commisioned upon her graduation in May. She has a four year commitment as a navy nurse. I want to be a pilot and am pretty sure I will get it.
Does anyone know the best way for us to be stationed together. There is a medium sized naval hospital at Pensascola and a huge one in San Diego. Should she just go to San Diego, and I will try to get out there after flight school, or should she go to Pensacola and and try to Co-Locate after the required 12 months on station, and after I know where I am going out of flight school?
Any Information would be much appreciated.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Congrats on gettin engaged.

1. Even if you get pilot, there's no garauntee you'll get stationed in S.D. That all depends on what you select. (i.e. where the FRS is and needs of the Navy when you go to your first squadron)

2. If you come down to P-Cola as a pilot, you'll only be down here for a couple months inless you do primary at Whiting Field.

3. I'd say P-cola and try to co-locate, and you try to get primary at Whiting Field.

Let us know what happens with your service selection (is it still in Nov?), and good luck.

KrazyKaptain

Thanks,
I was talking to the CDR about it, because my fiance has to put in her preferences very soon. For those who don't know this CDR, he is the coolest officer at the academy, he is also a helo pilot and he married another naval officer straight out of the academy.
He was saying that SD for her was the best chance us to be stationed together for the majority of her time in, assuming I go Heo or something else that is common at SD.
Then again he did not know much abou how the Co Location program worked
I have also heard that they aer more likely to give you primary at Whiting if you are married?
And Yes we still find out in Nov.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KrazyKaptain said:
Thanks,
I was talking to CDR Cuthbert about it, because my fiance has to put in her preferences very soon. For those who don't know CDR Cuthbert, he is the coolest officer at the academy, he is also a helo pilot and he married another naval officer straight out of the academy.

Excuse me for just a second while I get this out.....

pukingpumpkin7xm.jpg

There that feels much better....

There are no guarantees. It is risky to start out both as ENS and married with differnt careers on track. Most likely you will spend time apart, actually could be lots of it. But wish you well.

Funny I just left USNA after three years...and I thought I was the "Coolest Officer" there.

Must have been all those Ds I gave out as grades that did me in.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Congratulations and good luck. The Navy WILL NOT co-locate you while one or both of you are in a training command. That can include the FRS as well. Pensacola is probably your best bet if you want to get married soon and be together. Being married, it should be easier for you to get Pensacola for primary. If you get helos, geat, you can stay there longer and she'll probably be able to rotate after that to Mayport or San Diego with you. If you get jets or props, more than likely they will not move her to Corpus or Meridian. (Is there a Naval Hospital in Meridian??) Consider Jacksonville/Mayport, as well- Helos and P-3s there, depending on politicians in Virginia, maybe jets someday, too.
You might be able to work something out to get her moved with you if you do switch training bases, but the Navy's Co-Location program does not apply to training commands.
Good Luck, while you're in flight school it won't be easy, but it can be done. PM me if you have other questions about co-location or dual-military couples.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
KrazyKaptain said:
Thanks,
I was talking to the CDR about it, because my fiance has to put in her preferences very soon. For those who don't know this CDR, he is the coolest officer at the academy, he is also a helo pilot and he married another naval officer straight out of the academy.
He was saying that SD for her was the best chance us to be stationed together for the majority of her time in, assuming I go Heo or something else that is common at SD.
Then again he did not know much abou how the Co Location program worked
I have also heard that they aer more likely to give you primary at Whiting if you are married?
And Yes we still find out in Nov.

Do you know if his wife is a former admin weanie and if they were stationed in Fallon?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KrazyKaptain said:
Thanks,

Wow. :eek:

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
KrazyKaptain said:
I don't know if they were in Fallon, but his wife is a CDR and I think she is Intel, you can read his bio at http://intranet.usna.edu/5thBatt/ under battalion officer.

By the way, congratulations. Any advice you get from him/her will be good gouge.

He and his wife are nice folks. I see she works there too.

I think his call sign is Q for a video game called Qbert. Ask him who picked up CDR first...him or his wife.