• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When do you transition?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I know very few people who have gotten out in the last several years so that is my weak spot.

You know more than you think... You need to brainstorm with those you do know! Trust me you know many, many more!

will anyone actually consider my app at this point, or will they wait until I'm closer to separation

Just my opinion but yes! I have known several that have been hired as far out as a year.. Southwest does this for instance.. FEDEX and UPS tend to wait more towards availablity.. Plus you can always update your application.. So having it out there now shows a sustained interest in their company... Some places all the checks must be completed but most just let you keep updating as you reach those whickits (sp?)...

There are no guarantee's that I would be in a flying job at that point (post DH).

Currency would be a very big problem and perhaps sideline you from the game.. Supply and demand..

Lots of tough decisions; I still stand by my point that you can always fly in the guard/reserves to stay current and do something on the side to put food on the plate while you wait.. 'Codtanker' has been doing this and surviving pretty well.. Except he just bums of the guard entirely; nothing on the side...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Boom Boom,

How many sponsors are needed now to get a Meet & Greet? I have a childhood friend at FedEx and he was told 2 years ago it's 3 minimum. I've heard it's higher than that now.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
You think that's bad--I don't know which circular file civil aviation will throw my logbook into when I retire. The EMS/oil helo guys will shitcan it to the F/W barrel, and the airlines will shitcan it to the helo barrel. Then they'll piss on it, pur Jet A on it, and set it on fire.

Sh!t before you know it Bell/Augusta will have the 609 rolled out and you can pick and choose where to go! If it ends up being a viable aircraft watch out - could be a fun career!

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
How many sponsors are needed now to get a Meet & Greet?

Still 3 unless of course Fred Smith is a family friend.. Plus REALLY need to have flown with 2 of the 3 recs. Except right now things are very slow.. Waiting on age 60, opening a domicile in Paris, Switching domicile from Subic to Guanzia (sp?) in China, plus running lean due to us overtime whores...

How much time, as a not full time guy, can you get from the guard? How many hours/month max?

You could PM Codtanker and ask but I think he is doing about 35K a year for $$ and hours just depends on the unit... But I recommend the Guard/Reserves for currency not building time.. Build time on Active Duty then it's about hanging in the holding pattern while you cover the cash via Uncle Sam...

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
They just opened their app window... UPS MINS

BASIC QUALIFICATIONS:

* Hold a current FAA First Class Medical Certificate
* Hold a current ATP certificate OR hold an ATP written with a commercial pilot airplane multiengine land certificate with instrument certificate
* Hold a current flight engineer written or current flight engineer certificate
* Hold an FCC restricted radiotelephone operator permit
* Minimum of 1500 hours of total fixed-wing pilot time? (UPS will allow military candidates to add a plus (.3) per sortie factor to flight times)
* Minimum of 1000 hours pilot in command (PIC) hours in fixed-wing jet and/or fixed-wing multi-engine turboprop per FAR 1.1? (UPS will allow military candidates to add a plus (.3) per sortie factor to flight times)
* Minimum of 500 hours as either PIC or SIC in Transport Category aircraft
* International/Oceanic crossing experience as either PIC or SIC

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS:
* Minimum of 1500 hours of total fixed-wing pilot time? (UPS will allow military candidates to add a plus (.3) per sortie factor to flight times)
* Minimum of 500 hours as either PIC or SIC in Transport Category aircraft

Just to make sure I'm tracking here, this .3 per sortie factor means - .3 hours per sorty flown. So if you flew (to use a small number) 200 sorties, you'd get 60 additional hours? I could see how that could really help jet guys.

The 500hrs min for multi engine, would a P-3 fall under that as it's based on a transport aircraft?

Thanks for the help.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
The .3 is a MILITARY conversion.. Cause we don't log block time (chock to chock) like the civilians.. We to take-off to land.

P-3 Transport.. Sure... I think that could be reasonably argued..

BTW: FEDEX is only .2 per sortie; Southwest is .3 per...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now, I'm just curious (not even considering a career with comm air), but do you actually have to get airborne to log "chock to chocks".

Example: Comm air starts up, taxis, aborts for downing gripe, taxi/tow back, shut down. Do guys actually log that?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Yes.. You log it... And since I get paid hourly(by the minute, I might add) then depending on the trip it just might equal more cash... :)

bluto

Great thread. My two cents as I'm right in the middle of this process. If you do stay in, you may make yourself LESS competitive for an airline job. I recently spoke with a Southwest chief pilot who said as much, especially if you have been manning a desk the last few years (currency!). Definately something to consider, even more so as the number of our flying billets continue to shrink (on the MC F-18 side at least).