• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When do you transition?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I think SouthWest requires 2000hrs total and 1300 PIC time.

From the Southwest website:

Flight Experience:
2,500 hours total or 1,500 hours TURBINE total. Additionally, a minimum of 1,300 hours in Turbine aircraft as the Pilot in command. Southwest considers only Pilot time in fixed wing aircraft. This specifically excludes simulator, helicopter, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO etc.

However, I have heard that you realy need about 1700 PIC to be competetive..

Heloanjin

pilot
You think that's bad--I don't know which circular file civil aviation will throw my logbook into when I retire. The EMS/oil helo guys will shitcan it to the F/W barrel, and the airlines will shitcan it to the helo barrel. Then they'll piss on it, pur Jet A on it, and set it on fire.

I don't know what kind of time you have in your logbook, but most of the civ helo companies I looked at wanted 1500-2000 helo hours (1000-1500 PIC). And that is mostly for insurance reasons. In the interview, I was told military flight time is looked on with great favor.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't know what kind of time you have in your logbook, but most of the civ helo companies I looked at wanted 1500-2000 helo hours (1000-1500 PIC). And that is mostly for insurance reasons. In the interview, I was told military flight time is looked on with great favor.

The joke is for those who know my background--flight school, a little over 1000 CH-46, another 1000 TH-57, and a couple hundred in tiltrotors. The 3rd one is the basis for the statement.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
From the Southwest website:

Flight Experience:
2,500 hours total or 1,500 hours TURBINE total. Additionally, a minimum of 1,300 hours in Turbine aircraft as the Pilot in command. Southwest considers only Pilot time in fixed wing aircraft. This specifically excludes simulator, helicopter, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO etc.

However, I have heard that you realy need about 1700 PIC to be competetive..

Not to mention that little inexpensive detail called the type rating. Southwest is an awesome company (right now), and guys are jumping through their asses to get on with them, to include not blinking an eye at the $5000 bucks they drop for the 737 type. All worth it if that is what you want to do in life.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have about 2100 total turbine FW time & 1400 Turbine FW PIC. 1 year left on my commitment. Trying to decide now on taking the bonus or jumping to the airlines. It's a lot tougher decision that I thought it would be. $125,000 bonus for 5 more & job security VS big pay cut (initially) to a rather unstable industry that I have always wanted to be a part of. Not an easy choice...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
That 125k is quite the carrot...I had a similar dilemna with my Nuc power bonus as an enlisted guy.

Is there any reason you couldn't do both? Unless you are trying to avoid a tour that you are heading for, or you don't want to work after staying that extra time, why not stay and then put yourself in a better position to transition later. Seems like you'd have nothing but more hours, more experience, and a potentially better feel for what is going on in the industry. Just a thought...

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Not an easy choice...

However, best advice I ever got:

-You can't get hired if you ain't available...
-You can take a pay cut NOW (I was at the 12 year mark) or at retirement (the 20 year mark); but you will take a pay cut at some point.. So for me, I just looked at where I could be in 8 years with the airlines or if I stayed in.. Right now I am making nearly double what I did as an O-4.. But I live in domicile and work for a great company with awesome pay rates and work rules...
-You can always join the reserves.. $$$ plus still part of the Navy..

If you are a year out and you haven't gotten your ATP, Networked some LORs, Put your logbook on computer, started throwing out some apps, then you are behind the curve! :eek:

PS: Did anybody mention that airline pilots only work 2 weeks a month??

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I talked to a VR guy who told me that airlines cannot actually look at your log book, they can only take what you tell them as your total times, basically at your word (which shouldn't be an issue for naval officers, but we all know it can be). Is the existance of this law true?

MasterBates

I talked to a VR guy who told me that airlines cannot actually look at your log book, they can only take what you tell them as your total times, basically at your word (which shouldn't be an issue for naval officers, but we all know it can be). Is the existance of this law true?

I could be wrong, but this is pegging out:

2891.jpg

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
At a year out I've got the computer logbook, ATP should be done w/in the month and I have contacted the few I know in the industry. Problem is, I know very few people who have gotten out in the last several years so that is my weak spot. I haven't sent out any apps yet because I need the ATP first. Plus, will anyone actually consider my app at this point, or will they wait until I'm closer to separation?

As for taking the bonus and then jumping out, it's all about timing. As it is looking to work out, I'll have 1 1/2 - 2 years left on the bonus commitment when I finish my DH tour. There are no guarantee's that I would be in a flying job at that point (post DH). I've got 3 deployments down and 1 to go before I even get to my DH tour. I have the greatest job in the world right now but I've spent a lot of time away from my family and I owe it to them to look at all my options. I KNOW that I want to go to the airlines, but I just don't know when...