• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's wrong with helos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:So what's the green ink...

Combat flight hours are logged in the book in green ink.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:A lot of my prior service friends who selected aviation are hoping for P-3s. Most of them just want P-3s because they don't land on big grey ships and because you get great per diem.
John, why did you want them?

The main thing for me was the lifestyle, I have spent enough time at sea away from family, and the comms stink. Just finishing a deployment with a P3 squadron, I can honestly say that the accomodations on land were much nicer, and the fact that I could talk to my wife and kids pretty much anytime I wanted to was a MAJOR plus. Per diem is nice, but was not my deciding factor.

I also really enjoy flying the P3, it is a great plane to fly, and the missions we can do are quite diverse, in addition to carrying some ordnance.

I would think that the comraderie is the same in the rest of the communities, but I have found that aircrews are really tight, and I enjoy the fact that you can have an 11-13 person crew, you guys work hard on deployment, and then land and party hard. What other community can go back to the Q or hotel and pound some liquor?

Nope, no haze gray and under way for me. Been there, done that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:
quote:So what's the green ink...

Combat flight hours are logged in the book in green ink.

That's kind of what I figured...I think our NVG hours are logged in green here.

kaiangel

Gatordev,
I am curious is 60 pilots ever get to do any 10/10 jumps or anything. I was a surface SAR guy and I got to do some cross-training with the AW's in our HSL. Jumping and getting hoisted was probably one of the best times I have had in the Navy.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Kaiangel:

The short answer: yes. But you have to work it. Actually, you get one hoist in flight school from a H-3, which is pretty cool (and cold, if you hit it at the wrong part of the year). As for doing it in HSL, I know it's done. Actually, a couple of months ago, we threw some P-3 guys in the water as a "good deal" for them. The other day, our AW's from my det were doing jumps, and I wanted to go with them, but was flying something else. I hope we'll have a chance to do it on cruise, although we'll probably have to come up w/ some official reason for the shoes.

Well, that kind of rambled on. But yeah, I'm sure it can be done if you talk w/ the right people.

Status
Not open for further replies.