• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's wrong with helos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiangel

It seems from what I read here that people want everything but helos. Have any of you that have been through the pipeline seen many people who pick helos first? Maybe it is because 60's are all I have been around, but to me its seems that they would be a great life. To me it seems that helos would be a hell of a lot better than some boring school bus with wings, like the Cod or P-3.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Right on man! See, John, this guys is one smart dude. You should take a lesson! Plus, who wants to be a P-3 guy when you can't wear your bag everyday? Muhahahahahahahaha

<Ducks for cover>

Actually, if you do a search, there was a recent thread where this was brought up.

Edited by - gatordev on 08/26/2002 14:30:52

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hehe...actually, none of ours has those...not too many wires over the ocean.

Jack

The prospect of a bird strike while going backwards may be enough to deter some.?. Ooooh cheap shots from the left coast.

Naval Aviator, Prowlers.

mcbride_t_m

When my squidly roommate found out that he got helos instead of jets out of Primary, we had to post a suicide watch for him. Now he is a full fledged "rotorhead" and digs it the most. Helos are cool, when they aren´t grounded. We will be using them to punch forward of the beachline until a replacement comes along. Osprey? We are all holding our collective breath on that one...

Velocity

I think its a matter of acceptance. You find out your flying helo's and maybe you may be a lil disappointed at first but then you grow to like it. Im sure if it happened to me, I would have the same attitude.

Dave Shutter

Actually, most SNA's I know (inlcuding me) plan on putting Helo's as choice # 2, barring jets, selections of which have been pathetically slim lateley anyhow. Punching holes in the sky, fighting to stay awake in a droning prop a/c has no interest for me whatsoever, carrier borne or otherwise. No offense John! I'd like to get combat support (HC???) if I got dropped to South Park (which I probably will anyway!!!) I'd finally get my hands on a min-gun.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:

Our HH-60H's have wire strike protection.

That makes sense. Kind of figured you guys would have them and the Huey's in Fallon would have them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:
The prospect of a bird strike while going backwards may be enough to deter some.?. Ooooh cheap shots from the left coast.

Naval Aviator, Prowlers.

Perhaps...But I hope you want only girls.

kaiangel

Is it easy to get your choice of HS or HSL and where are all of the different fleet 60 squadrons?

Edited by - kaiangel on 08/26/2002 21:52:36

kraused

http://www.pilotonline.com/military/ml0826hel.html
Here is a great article about the new MH-60 S and R models that the Navy will be getting in the near future. Looks like an awesome a/c!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Getting HS or HSL isn't a whole lot different from the "will I get jets or not?" saga. It really depends on your timing. For the 3 winging classes ahead of mine, everyone got HSL Mayport except like one or two per class. Then my class came up and it was a complete mix of all coasts and platforms.

quote:
http://www.pilotonline.com/military/ml0826hel.html
Here is a great article about the new MH-60 S and R models that the Navy will be getting in the near future. Looks like an awesome a/c!

The S is actually starting service already in Guam. I was in San Diego when they officially brought it online down the flightline from us.

The Romeo....uh, yeah, right...I'm sure that will be here some day....riiiiiiiiight. It'll have lots of cool gear on it, I'll give you that. The key word is "lots." I took off in a Block 1 60B tonight, and it was 30 pounds under gross weight w/ all our sonobouys (21700 lbs). And we didn't even have a FLIR on this one. The Romeo will have even more crap on it. It'll be interesting to see what happens...some time in 2008.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:To me it seems that helos would be a hell of a lot better than some boring school bus with wings, like the Cod or P-3.

As much as I TOTALLY disagree with that statement, helos are in fact the first choice of many people, including gatordev who if memory serves correctly did extremely well in Primary, and they continued to bug him to go jets after selection. Not everyone wants jets, for me it was only the P3 that I wanted, and I count myself lucking to have gotten this platform.

quote:plus, who wants to be a P-3 guy when you can't wear your bag everyday?

Well, for those of us that actually have a ground job... and BTW, forget any care packages coming your way while your on deployment!

quote:No offense John! I'd like to get combat support (HC???) if I got dropped to South Park (which I probably will anyway!!!) I'd finally get my hands on a min-gun.

None taken, but just so you know, I have green ink in my log book.

quote:I took off in a Block 1 60B tonight, and it was 30 pounds under gross weight w/ all our sonobouys (21700 lbs). And we didn't even have a FLIR on this one.

Was that you over at Barbers yesterday afternoon mucking up the pattern?

kaiangel

A lot of my prior service friends who selected aviation are hoping for P-3s. Most of them just want P-3s because they don't land on big grey ships and because you get great per diem.
John, why did you want them?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hehe...thanks for the "props" John. No that wasn't us...we were out in the Molokai channel last night hunting the evil EMATT...which didn't seem to work at all. Oh well.

So what's the green ink...or can you talk about that.

Some real fun I had was hopping in the back w/ our AW's and lighting up a target w/ our M-60. Fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.