• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's the deal with the BDCP review boards?

allison

Just took my ASTB test! One word of advice.. TIME! You either know how to do it or you don't. If you do, do it quickly if you don't guess and move on.

blarged

ready
Just took my ASTB test! One word of advice.. TIME! You either know how to do it or you don't. If you do, do it quickly if you don't guess and move on.

If you are taking the computer version you can flag questions. So guess and move on, but flag it so if you do have time at the end, you know quickly what questions to go back to.

adamshahan

Also, if you are not willing to take a few calculus and physics classes at a community college in order to become a Naval Officer then you don't want it bad enough. I have friends who are Meteorology majors at TAMU who were in calculus and engineering physics classes with me. If it is required for a meteorology degree then it shouldn't surprise you that the Navy would want it.

It's a matter of time and money. I get grants and I am maxed out on my loans. I started to take a pre-calculus class and it was a little over my head since it's been 8 years since I've had algebra. So I need to take Algebra, Pre-Calculus, Calculus 1, Calculus 2, physics 1, and physics 2 to qualify for competitive programs. This is in addition to all the classes I need for my degree. So these math classes will add at least a year and $10,000 that I don't have. I need to finish school as quickly as possible so I don't have to take out any more loans. I already will owe $25,000 at graduation (Fall 2010). I plan to take Calculus classes after I graduate and have money coming in, but right now it is not an option.

I can't afford to delay my graduation.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
It's a matter of time and money. I get grants and I am maxed out on my loans. I started to take a pre-calculus class and it was a little over my head since it's been 8 years since I've had algebra. So I need to take Algebra, Pre-Calculus, Calculus 1, Calculus 2, physics 1, and physics 2 to qualify for competitive programs. This is in addition to all the classes I need for my degree. So these math classes will add at least a year and $10,000 that I don't have. I need to finish school as quickly as possible so I don't have to take out any more loans. I already will owe $25,000 at graduation (Fall 2010). I plan to take Calculus classes after I graduate and have money coming in, but right now it is not an option.

I can't afford to delay my graduation.

Sounds like you are one excuse after another.

To give an example from Northern Virginia Community College (where I took my calc and physics classes at night and over the summer): they charge $105/credit hr (that incl all fees). I'm sure most CC's are similarly priced. You can buy a cheap used algebra refresher book or online course for $20 to get you back into a "math mindset". So I don't know where your $10k number comes from.

Forget pre-calc... not necessary. I jumped into calculus after not having ANY math courses in over 10 years. Pre-calc just teaches you the 1st half of regular calc over the course of an entire semester. Completely unnecessary.

In any case... again, you have to be willing to do whatever it takes. If that means night school...or a summer... so be it. If it seriously won't work for you, then do it after graduation and re-apply in the future.

adamshahan

Sounds like you are one excuse after another.

To give an example from Northern Virginia Community College (where I took my calc and physics classes at night and over the summer): they charge $105/credit hr (that incl all fees). I'm sure most CC's are similarly priced. You can buy a cheap used algebra refresher book or online course for $20 to get you back into a "math mindset". So I don't know where your $10k number comes from.

Forget pre-calc... not necessary. I jumped into calculus after not having ANY math courses in over 10 years. Pre-calc just teaches you the 1st half of regular calc over the course of an entire semester. Completely unnecessary.

In any case... again, you have to be willing to do whatever it takes. If that means night school...or a summer... so be it. If it seriously won't work for you, then do it after graduation and re-apply in the future.

Not making excuses buddy. I just stated that I was not planning on taking Calc or Physics before graduation and someone asked why. The $10,000 figure comes from an extra year of tuition, books, and rent/food; it may be a bit lower if I skip algebra and pre-calc. 16 credits @ $200cr(I'm an out-of-county resident) + books +$600 month @ 8 months(gas, food, rent, utilities). It adds up.

But that's fine, I will take all those classes part-time after I graduate. The problem is that the BDCP will not be available then, so I need to apply for programs that I will be more qualified for (i.e. not Oceanography/Meteorology).

So... what programs tend to have a higher selection rate and do not require calculus?

adamshahan

My package went to the processor in June and I was denied IW in August. My other choices wont be reviewed until January. I do not think my chances are good so I emailed my recruiter and told him I want to reapply for SWO, get better LOR, a better PRT score, join some school clubs, and do some volunteer work in the next two months.

He wrote back and said that I have to wait a certain period before I can reapply. How long do I have to wait and when can I reapply? I can't find this information online.

Thanks

bob88899

I think its 6months? unless you improve your package, and write a reconsideration letter (that what impression i had anyways).

blarged

ready
My package went to the processor in June and I was denied IW in August. My other choices wont be reviewed until January. I do not think my chances are good so I emailed my recruiter and told him I want to reapply for SWO, get better LOR, a better PRT score, join some school clubs, and do some volunteer work in the next two months.

He wrote back and said that I have to wait a certain period before I can reapply. How long do I have to wait and when can I reapply? I can't find this information online.

Thanks

To clarify bob - 6 months wait if there is no change in your package. If you have significant change (increased ASTB, GPA change, etc...) you could apply the following month. What exactly defines 'significant' improvements is very unclear, however.