• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's the deal with the BDCP review boards?

adamshahan

I applied for Intelligence, Information Warfare, and Oceanography/Meteorology. I recently found out you need calculus for Oceanography/Meteorology as well as Information Warfare. My recruiter did not tell me this and even recommended IW. I found out that Intelligence and IW boards both met within the last two months and that the Oceanography board won't meet for a while. I was told today that my application is awaiting the next review board.

My question is, when will I likely hear something? Do I have to wait until all three of my picks are reviewed before they contact me? When is the next time these three review boards will meet? What are my chances of getting selected, honestly- and what would you guys recommend for becoming an officer? I had set my sights on becoming a Naval Officer but would I have better luck getting into another branch of the military?

Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate any answers or recommendations you guys have to give me.

Thanks

My info...
-ASTB scores were 6/7/7/52
-GPA from Community College is 3.56 with 40 credits
-GPA from University is 3.67 with 12 credits
-Major is Atmospheric Science
-No Calculus or Physics classes have been taken and will not be taken. The only math class I have taken is Statistics and it is the only Math class required for my degree.
-No extracurricular clubs, sports, or volunteer work. I put Habitat for Humanity down on the Application for volunteer work and labeled it as Aug 09'. August has come but Habitat for Humanity has not got back to me yet even though I have filled out all the paperwork and have left messages on their machine. I listed the Geography Club for clubs and labeled it Fall 09' as I plan to join when school starts back up.
-None of my references were Military Officers or Politicians. They were just basically work references.
-My PRT is Satisfactory Medium. Ran 1.5 miles in 10:24 - 62 push ups and 38 sit ups. I did not meet the sit up cutoff and received no points for it. 25 years old.
-My application, security clearance, and physical were all submitted to the processor in mid June 2009.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
All I can tell you is first if your asking if another branch is easier to get into, your looking at this wrong. Go for the branch you WANT to go into.

I also know that at least in the past you will get selected for each community as it is reviewed, meaning you dont have to wait for all three boards to meet.

Good luck.

adamshahan

All I can tell you is first if your asking if another branch is easier to get into, your looking at this wrong. Go for the branch you WANT to go into.

I also know that at least in the past you will get selected for each community as it is reviewed, meaning you dont have to wait for all three boards to meet.

Good luck.

Thanks. I was just asking that if my chances are extremely low for getting in the Navy as an officer, should I start exploring other options. I am going for the branch I want, but I realize that it is very competitive.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Thanks. I was just asking that if my chances are extremely low for getting in the Navy as an officer, should I start exploring other options. I am going for the branch I want, but I realize that it is very competitive.

Nobody's chances are "extremely low" to a certain point. There will be people with better qualifications than you, but they still may not get in. You can't let that deter you.

Its competitive for both BDCP and DA (direct ascension) and if you're not going to apply simply because you feel your chances are "extremely low", then i would say that you probably don't want to be an officer badly enough.

Just my .02

adamshahan

Its competitive for both BDCP and DA (direct ascension) and if you're not going to apply simply because you feel your chances are "extremely low", then i would say that you probably don't want to be an officer badly enough.

Just my .02

I've already applied... months ago! Does anybody know what day the selection boards meet for oceanography, IW, and Intel?

adamshahan

I did not get selected for IW. There was only a 9% selection rate for Aug. I found out that Intel was pushed back to Jan and Oceanography only meets twice a year.

Can someone tell me the selection rate for Aviation Maintenance and EOD? When do these selection boards meet.

Thanks

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
I applied for Intelligence, Information Warfare, and Oceanography/Meteorology. I recently found out you need calculus for Oceanography/Meteorology as well as Information Warfare. My recruiter did not tell me this and even recommended IW. I found out that Intelligence and IW boards both met within the last two months and that the Oceanography board won't meet for a while. I was told today that my application is awaiting the next review board.

My question is, when will I likely hear something? Do I have to wait until all three of my picks are reviewed before they contact me? When is the next time these three review boards will meet? What are my chances of getting selected, honestly- and what would you guys recommend for becoming an officer? I had set my sights on becoming a Naval Officer but would I have better luck getting into another branch of the military?

Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate any answers or recommendations you guys have to give me.

Thanks

My info...
-ASTB scores were 6/7/7/52
-GPA from Community College is 3.56 with 40 credits
-GPA from University is 3.67 with 12 credits
-No Calculus or Physics classes have been taken and will not be taken. The only math class I have taken is Statistics and it is the only Math class required for my degree.
-No extracurricular clubs, sports, or volunteer work. I put Habitat for Humanity down on the Application for volunteer work and labeled it as Aug 09'. August has come but Habitat for Humanity has not got back to me yet even though I have filled out all the paperwork and have left messages on their machine. I listed the Geography Club for clubs and labeled it Fall 09' as I plan to join when school starts back up.
-None of my references were Military Officers or Politicians. They were just basically work references.
-My PRT is Satisfactory Medium. Ran 1.5 miles in 10:24 - 62 push ups and 38 sit ups. I did not meet the sit up cutoff and received no points for it. 25 years old.
-My application, security clearance, and physical were all submitted to the processor in mid June 2009.

A couple points.

1. You have plenety of time to take your calculus classes at a community college, the fact that you even wrote that you wouldn't take them shows a certain lack of motivation. If this is what you want in life, then you should not let ANYTHING in your control keep you from it.

2. You're only 25, work on your physical readiness. 38 situps is piss poor, get your butt to the gym and work on it. It won't come overnight, but it WILL come if you put forth the effort. And if you're seriously thinking EOD now... you are not even close to the phys shape you need to be in (I was an EOD select before aviation). If you have to get up everyday at 5am to run and lift, do it.

3. Statistics is seriously the only math required for an atmospheric science degree???? Ok, I'm taking your word on this, but wow, that's surprising. Where did you go to school?

4. Lastly, don't let them tell you 'no'. Apply again. And again if you need to. I applied for my commission 3 times before being selected from the enlisted ranks.

Get the overall 'theme' here? ... you have to want it, and want it bad. Do what you need to do to make it happen and it will. Period.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
-No extracurricular clubs, sports, or volunteer work.

No math other than stats.... shocking. One thing with BDCP to remember is that you don't have a degree yet. So, to be selected for an officer slot before graduating and getting a nice e-3 salary you have make the board more than confident about your application. In the last year I joined an extra 2-3 clubs, a school club sports team and volunteered, all requiring no more than 6hrs, more or less depending on the week. Getting in the gym wont help your selection past meeting the min for final select, but will make you feel better, impress the ladies and oh yeah that ocs thing.

adamshahan

I go to Salisbury University in MD. I'm getting a Geography degree specializing in Atmospheric Science. The only math courses required are Statistics, 2 GIS classes (which are basically Statistics again), and Chemistry.

I go to the gym Tue, Thurs, and Sat or Sun. I run 3-4 miles and lift. I then do 120 crunches. I'm happy with my run and push-ups, but for some reason I have a difficult time touching my elbows to my thighs. After I was done the curl-up portion of the PRT, my back and hips hurt, not my abs. I'm very thin and lean (5' 10" 155 lbs), so I don't know why I can't do very many Navy style curl-ups.

Yes you are absolutely right, I should join some school clubs. I live 20 min away from campus so I have been procrastinating.

I didn't think the EOD had very demanding physical fitness requirements, I thought that was for SEALs.

Is the selection rate higher for EOD and Aviation Maintenance?

docwaring

Pro Rec'd BDCP/SNA
I go to the gym Tue, Thurs, and Sat or Sun. I run 3-4 miles and lift. I then do 120 crunches. I'm happy with my run and push-ups, but for some reason I have a difficult time touching my elbows to my thighs. After I was done the curl-up portion of the PRT, my back and hips hurt, not my abs. I'm very thin and lean (5' 10" 155 lbs), so I don't know why I can't do very many Navy style curl-ups.

Have somebody who has been in the Navy show you how to do a curl-up. You have to keep your hands on your CHEST, not shoulders, so put them as low as allowed. Keep your feet as close to your butt as possible, it brings the plane of your thighs closer. You have to touch your thighs, not your knees, so touch as low as possible. You only have to touch the tips of your shoulder blades to the deck on the way back down, so don't but your head down, just the tips of your shoulder blades. The less movement involved, the more you will be able to get. And once you get a little fatigued, adjust the angle of your legs and you will change what portion of muscle is being focused on and you can pull out a few extras.
Good luck with that. There is no reason that you can't do 75-90 curl ups if you do 120 crunches.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Have somebody who has been in the Navy show you how to do a curl-up. You have to keep your hands on your CHEST, not shoulders, so put them as low as allowed. Keep your feet as close to your butt as possible, it brings the plane of your thighs closer. You have to touch your thighs, not your knees, so touch as low as possible. You only have to touch the tips of your shoulder blades to the deck on the way back down, so don't but your head down, just the tips of your shoulder blades. The less movement involved, the more you will be able to get. And once you get a little fatigued, adjust the angle of your legs and you will change what portion of muscle is being focused on and you can pull out a few extras.
Good luck with that. There is no reason that you can't do 75-90 curl ups if you do 120 crunches.

Spot on gouge for the Navy curl up. I almost always maxed out on those with this technique.

adamshahan

Thanks for the tip. Where on my chest can my hands be? If my fingertips are touching the bottom of shoulders/ top of the armpit area, would that be acceptable?

hurricane221

Does anyone have any information on Field Selection for bdcp? My recruiter had mentioned this to me however he doesn't know exactly know about do it because it is new or something?? Anyone hear anything about this?

docwaring

Pro Rec'd BDCP/SNA
Yeah, hands level with your arm pits is fine. You don't have to have your hands in your arm pits, just keep your hands touching or just under your pecs.

jl08

pilot
I didn't think the EOD had very demanding physical fitness requirements, I thought that was for SEALs.

Is the selection rate higher for EOD and Aviation Maintenance?

You might want to do a little more research about EOD before applying just for the selection rate. I don't know what the selection rate is but I do know people (enlisted side) who went EOD and they wanted it BAD. It may not be Seals but EOD is still special forces and extremely physically demanding.

Also, if you are not willing to take a few calculus and physics classes at a community college in order to become a Naval Officer then you don't want it bad enough. I have friends who are Meteorology majors at TAMU who were in calculus and engineering physics classes with me. If it is required for a meteorology degree then it shouldn't surprise you that the Navy would want it.