• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's it like for a pilot nearing the end of your 11-year (I think) committment?

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Furthermore, Marine Corps bases tend to be in much nicer locations. If you join the Army, you might end up at Fort Hood, TX; Fort Campbell, TN; Fort Drum, NY. . .some real shit holes.

What's wrong with Fort Campbell (KY)? I spent over 5 years there. The community in Clarksville is very supportive of the military and it makes for a very positive experience.

As far as being deployed in the Army (and I know my situation was incredibly unique), I spent nearly two years living in one of Saddam's palaces. I'd say that beats the hell out of anything on a ship.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
What's wrong with Fort Campbell (KY)? I spent over 5 years there. The community in Clarksville is very supportive of the military and it makes for a very positive experience.

As far as being deployed in the Army (and I know my situation was incredibly unique), I spent nearly two years living in one of Saddam's palaces. I'd say that beats the hell out of anything on a ship.

Regardless of if the community is supportive, Clarksville is in the middle of f'n nowhere. That was my point. If you drive too far away from Clarksville, you're likely to run in to a scene from Deliverance.

Also, you spent nearly TWO YEARS living there. That's the point I was getting at with Army deployments. With my MOS, I didn't spend but maybe one day in ten sleeping in my own bed. The rest of the time, we were on the road. Bottom line, Army sucks.

Lawman

None
Things change over time. Back in my day folks would spend 15 years OUTCONUS, never setting foot in CONUS. Doubt you would see that today.

We've got guys over here in Germany that have done it...

Hell one of the Cadre at Rucker has 18 years in the Army, 15 of them are in Germany and the rest are in TRADOC.