• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's it like for a pilot nearing the end of your 11-year (I think) committment?

Slob91

Hi all,

I am just wondering what it is like being in the Navy as a pilot once you are nearing the end of your required time to serve. Do you still spend the majority of your time deployed? I understand that the first few years will be pretty hectic, but does it slow down at all? The reason I am asking is because I am trying to choose between the AF and Navy for aviation...Navy seems much more appealing to me but I don't want to be 30-something years old with a family at home that I can almost never see.

MasterBates

You may be like me, and not want to see your family.

The USAF will have you gone as well. More often but for shorter stretches on average.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Then don't join the military if you want to be with a family. For example, post 11 years for me, two 6 month deployments and a 365 day (that's 1 full year) deployment. To be honest, that's not bad really for that's only two years gone from family out of 9. It can be worse.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Bunk, I would consider you VERY lucky. After 8 years with the Army Reserve, I had spent nearly three and a half years away from my family. Moral of the story: Don't join the Army.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Bunk, I would consider you VERY lucky. After 8 years with the Army Reserve, I had spent nearly three and a half years away from my family. Moral of the story: Don't join the Army.

Army is way worse than the Navy in deployments, it's done a different way. The Marines are worse to, at least from what I've seen.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
The nice thing about the Marine Corp's deployments is that they are considerably shorter. Though I was deployed at the time of the 'surge', I was lucky enough to be able to only have a 12 month deployment. I had quite a few friends that did 18 month deployments. That's 18 months in country, with two months of training before hand, for a grand total of 20 months away from their family at one stretch. I considered myself quite lucky to only have 14 months away for each of my deployments. (12 months in country, and 2 months of training prior). To be honest, I'm looking forward to the Navy lifestyle, especially with a guarantee of not deploying for about the next two years. Getting to do my dream job. . .added bonus :)

Slob91

Okay that really isn't too bad. Now that I think about it, I don't really see the family problem really getting in the way. I'm not even planning on having kids that early so it really won't be a big deal. And two years out of eleven is pretty good, thanks for the response. I'm fairly sure I'm gonna go Navy.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
The nice thing about the Marine Corp's deployments is that they are considerably shorter. Though I was deployed at the time of the 'surge', I was lucky enough to be able to only have a 12 month deployment. I had quite a few friends that did 18 month deployments. That's 18 months in country, with two months of training before hand, for a grand total of 20 months away from their family at one stretch. I considered myself quite lucky to only have 14 months away for each of my deployments. (12 months in country, and 2 months of training prior). To be honest, I'm looking forward to the Navy lifestyle, especially with a guarantee of not deploying for about the next two years. Getting to do my dream job. . .added bonus :)

I thank Baby Jesus every day that I'm not in the Army and this is one of the biggest reasons. There are others, but 12+ months is out of control, although very normal for the Army. It's not lost on me that more often than not the living is a lot more austere for those six months, but it's worth it.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
I don't know about that Mike. I've been to some pretty posh Marine bases in Western Iraq. The standard of living on most of those bases are about the same as what you'd find on most Army bases. I don't know about Afghanistan, or bases here in the states, but the biggest difference between the two that I've noticed is that Army guys don't scream at you if you put your rifle on the 'deck' in the dining facility.

Furthermore, Marine Corps bases tend to be in much nicer locations. If you join the Army, you might end up at Fort Hood, TX; Fort Campbell, TN; Fort Drum, NY. . .some real shit holes.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Do you still spend the majority of your time deployed?
Define Majority. I've had 2 years out of my 10 deployed. That's 20% <> Majority.
I understand that the first few years will be pretty hectic, but does it slow down at all?
No.
The reason I am asking is because I am trying to choose between the AF and Navy for aviation...Navy seems much more appealing to me but I don't want to be 30-something years old with a family at home that I can almost never see.
http://www.ussokcity.com/navyvsaf.html

Slob91

That is what I meant by majority, thanks. For some reason I was under the impression that I would spend about 5+ years deployed overall. And I've seen that letter before, it really puts it into perspective haha. Im really attracted to the Navy lifestyle and will most likely go that route, thanks for the response.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm at 13 years, 6 deployments down. Plenty of time away. Looking forward, I've probably got a good 4 years until I have to think a out deploying again.

MasterBates

I'm at 11 years. 4 deployments, and probably a year's worth of gone a month or two on workups, dets and other "longer than a week, but not a deployment" stuff.

I've been away from "home" for probably 2.5 years total in the last 10. The first year I was in was BDCP and OCS, and then I had a good 18 months between TRACOM and RAG the first time, and a Fleet Squadron.

For another measurement, as of right now, this is the longest outside the TRACOM/RAG I have gone without going somewhere. I've been home since the end of July.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I don't know about that Mike. I've been to some pretty posh Marine bases in Western Iraq. The standard of living on most of those bases are about the same as what you'd find on most Army bases. I don't know about Afghanistan, or bases here in the states, but the biggest difference between the two that I've noticed is that Army guys don't scream at you if you put your rifle on the 'deck' in the dining facility.

Furthermore, Marine Corps bases tend to be in much nicer locations. If you join the Army, you might end up at Fort Hood, TX; Fort Campbell, TN; Fort Drum, NY. . .some real shit holes.

Yeah, things changed during OIF. The bases got built up and living got good when we were playing army. How'd it work out? 10% reduction in force with no decrease in optempo, no new F/W aircraft (it seems like ever), EFV cancelled, and my peers on the ground side are in a knife fight for their jobs this month among many other things. There's nothing wrong with setting up a real chow hall (tray rats don't count) when you know you're going to be somewhere for awhile, but dont spend and live like an organization that's 3 times the size of yours.