• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What We Say And How We Say It

Renegade One

None
Interesting short piece from the latest USNI Monthly Newsletter that I would recommend to many of us older "frequent flyers" on AW:
http://blog.usni.org/2012/10/01/wha...ium=email&mc_cid=a77967d726&mc_eid=971bf99efd

I've certainly been guilty of being "too sarcastic" (and worse) on occasion on this forum. Reading this part really hit home for me:

"People stop listening when they hear such a tone, so we win over no one and create echo chambers populated by those who think exactly like us. Instead of actually confronting problems and creating solutions, this further reinforces existing problems."

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
In this day of almost instant communication - it is hard at times to convey a "tone" online in an email or thread post or through text message.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've certainly been guilty of being "too sarcastic" (and worse) on occasion on this forum. Reading this part really hit home for me:...

An excellent find & reminder for all, as sarcastic discourse is fairly common on AW as well as other internet sites, and I am equally guilty on occasion. There is nothing more boring than being exposed to internet 'bullying' in which you're not involved. I am reevaluating my internet manners.:oops:
BzB

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You tacair weenies are pussies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In this day of almost instant communication - it is hard at times to convey a "tone" online in an email or thread post or through text message.
I thought that was what the emoticons were for.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
An excellent find & reminder for all, as sarcastic discourse is fairly common on AW as well as other internet sites, and I am equally guilty on occasion. There is nothing more boring than being exposed to internet 'bullying' in which you're not involved. I am reevaluating my internet manners.:oops:
BzB

Fuck that.

robav8r

None
Contributor
People stop listening when they hear such a tone, so we win over no one and create echo chambers populated by those who think exactly like us. Instead of actually confronting problems and creating solutions, this further reinforces existing problems."[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
The problem with forums such as this one is that the views and opinions expressed have always been shared amoungst those of us in similar warfare, rank, social circles - it's just been done in private in our wardrooms, staterooms, favorite watering holes, etc. These forums expand the audience base while simultaneously giving us anonymity of our statements. I think the friction comes when folks either try to hide or are unwilling to reveal their true background and professional experience. I have seen very little disrespect when all parties are honest and upfront about their intentions/inquiry. And, of course, Naval Aviators/Flight Officers have always embraced humor as one of our major professional tenets. So, be honest, wear a cup and have fun !!!

robav8r

None
Contributor
I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there. ;)
Why? You basing this comment on your personal knowledge of certain individuals? I was referring to the forum audience in general . . .

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The problem with forums such as this one is that the views and opinions expressed have always been shared amoungst those of us in similar warfare, rank, social circles - it's just been done in private in our wardrooms, staterooms, favorite watering holes, etc. These forums expand the audience base while simultaneously giving us anonymity of our statements. I think the friction comes when folks either try to hide or are unwilling to reveal their true background and professional experience. I have seen very little disrespect when all parties are honest and upfront about their intentions/inquiry. And, of course, Naval Aviators/Flight Officers have always embraced humor as one of our major professional tenets. So, be honest, wear a cup and have fun !!!
Case in point, witness the differences between the comment section of Google Youtube (where you're allowed to be anonymous) and Vimeo (where you're at least supposed to use your real first/last name). Vimeo has a much higher level of discussion on it's videos and many fewer idiots trolling and flaming. It's why a lot of the more serious minded content producers are switching to Vimeo to display their content.